Clinical Roleplay & You

Mecovy

Not to stomp on your shit and such, but why not ask LSFD to join them as a sub-division? I would love to see genuine clinic RP after an LSFD interaction...

If I'm being rushed to the hospital due to a GSW for example, I would love to partake in surgery RP and perhaps recovery ar-pee?

Edited by HappyToker
Just now, HappyToker said:

Not to stomp on your shit and such, but why not ask LSFD to join them as a sub-division? I would love to see genuine clinic RP after an LSFD interaction

That's not gonna happen on this server, its not really realistic to have something like that being apart of the LSFD, they would agree. FM and Management also would refuse such a union I'm afraid.

1 hour ago, HappyToker said:

damn ?

To add to that! There is at least talk of adding a official hospital faction. LSFD has wanted one for awhile, it just takes players to run it and for Legal FM to approve it and get scripts running. But as far as I know, theres no project. I think.

However! If you’d like to give the LSFD feedback, we got a thread for that too!

I’d love to have a hospital. EMS feels incomplete without hospital care. We’re Prehospital treatment with no hospital. And we’d love to work with a new hospital system. However it will never be under the LSFD. As we’re a Fire Department, not a Medical system.

We are state certified to hand out EMS medical licenses. But that is it. (And thats only for faction members and limited to other organizations like PD/SD/LG’s)

On 5/1/2020 at 1:54 PM, Kassandra said:

I understand the clinics don't charge for their services. In terms of facilitating RP, I support this, but it doesn't seem realistic for America. 

What made you decide against pursuing charges for your services? 

Even though it was answered, I wanted to add on that from Hope Health Center's perspective. 

Hope Health Center was funded from the beginning as a center that strives to provide free healthcare services, especially to the community in south LS, where realistically many people would come from tough socioeconomic backgrounds and struggle to pay for health insurance. That's why it's located in Rancho, to be accessibly to those people. It has always been my character's dream to open a center that can provide that, and it has been developed for over two months of preparations before actually opening.

All the funds have been collected mainly from private investors and community fundraiser events to help open and support the financial state of the clinic. 

At first, for Hope at least, the staff volunteered for their duties and only started getting paid when the clinic was able to finance it. 

This idea was born because of the difficult state of the Healthcare System in the USA and came to answer those IC needs and the OOC will to provide Medical RP to the server. 

Edited by MrsHamster
  • Upvote 2

Small medical roleplay is so important, it's so nice to see you guys actually do it and give people this part of roleplay experience that no other place by far have. Can't wait for my character to have a cold or get pregnant or something!!!

• Upvote 1
14 hours ago, KinnyWynny said:

To add to that! There is at least talk of adding a official hospital faction. LSFD has wanted one for awhile, it just takes players to run it and for Legal FM to approve it and get scripts running. But as far as I know, theres no project. I think.

However! If you’d like to give the LSFD feedback, we got a thread for that too!

I’d love to have a hospital. EMS feels incomplete without hospital care. We’re Prehospital treatment with no hospital. And we’d love to work with a new hospital system. However it will never be under the LSFD. As we’re a Fire Department, not a Medical system.

We are state certified to hand out EMS medical licenses. But that is it. (And thats only for faction members and limited to other organizations like PD/SD/LG’s)

I've already briefly spoken to the FD, and I do hope to have some form of an agreement made in relation to dropping off patients ready for if a hospital is approved fully by FM.

• 2 weeks later...

I love this concept, even though I was initially skeptical.

My remaining concern is that it seems ripe for abuse or being taken advantage of by someone who is after money.  

For instance, what if someone came to the practice to roleplay a rare condition they pulled off of Google, and reported vague symptoms to intentionally get a misdiagnosis, followed by an adverse reaction to the treatment and, ultimately, a hefty malpractice claim?  I imagine if someone fully planned it out and carefully carried out the plan, they’d have an airtight case and an unsuspecting clinic ends up taken advantage of with serious consequences. 

Further, the roleplay is so niche, it’d be a burden to find expert witnesses in the medical profession to testify for the clinician, and so it would potentially cripple its defence too. 

How do you contend with these risks?  Is there actually a way to contend with them; perhaps being painstakingly inquisitive in your emotes might prevent a misdiagnosis? I’m not sure, really — I’m just concerned some manipulative, scheming person might hash out a plan that ends up ending this niche but interesting roleplay. 

Edited by Midsummer Night's Dream
1 hour ago, Midsummer Night's Dream said:

I love this concept, even though I was initially skeptical.

My remaining concern is that it seems ripe for abuse or being taken advantage of by someone who is after money.  

For instance, what if someone came to the practice to roleplay a rare condition they pulled off of Google, and reported vague symptoms to intentionally get a misdiagnosis, followed by an adverse reaction to the treatment and, ultimately, a hefty malpractice claim?  I imagine if someone fully planned it out and carefully carried out the plan, they’d have an airtight case and an unsuspecting clinic ends up taken advantage of with serious consequences. 

Further, the roleplay is so niche, it’d be a burden to find expert witnesses in the medical to testify for the clinic, and so it would potentially cripple its defence too. 

How do you contend with these risks?  Is there actually a way to contend with them; perhaps being painstakingly inquisitive in your emotes might prevent a misdiagnosis? I’m not sure, really — I’m just concerned some manipulative, scheming person might hash out a plan that ends up ending this niche but interesting roleplay. 

Honestly?

OOC communication. This is the sort of thing I'd have a chatter with them about OOC to confirm what they're expecting, especially if I didn't have that niche experience. I mean, I doubt anyone RPing here is a medical doctor. (Though if anyone is, keep up the good work!)

I've had a few meetings with the psychologist and RP something rather niche, so I had an ooc chat when I could tell they were struggling a little to pin it down to give them a nudge in the right direction. After all, a trained character would know what sort of things to look for whereas the player themselves might not. RP is a group activity.

I feel like someone doing what you're saying, purposefully trying to get a malpractice claim, would be an overtly oocly shitty thing to do with purely ooc motivations and so break the common courtesty rule, if not metagaming. 

Edited by Kassandra
  • Upvote 3
1 minute ago, Kassandra said:

Honestly?

OOC communication. This is the sort of thing I'd have a chatter with them about OOC to confirm what they're expecting, especially if I didn't have that niche experience. I mean, I doubt anyone RPing here is a medical doctor. (Though if anyone is, keep up the good work!)

I've had a few meetings with the psychologist and RP something rather niche, so I had an ooc chat when I could tell they were struggling a little to pin it down to give them a nudge in the right direction. After all, a trained character would know what sort of things to look for whereas the player themselves might not. RP is a group activity.

I feel like someone doing what you're saying, purposefully trying to get a malpractice claim, would be an overtly oocly shitty thing to do with purely ooc motivations and so break the common courtesty rule, if not metagaming. 

I suppose it could come under common courtesy, but that can also result in a slippery slope.  For example, how would one differentiate between someone is legitimately roleplaying a common condition and who just happens to experience a misdiagnosis versus someone who is abusing lack of out-of-character expertise?  Think about it; the abuser isn’t going to make it clear they’re abusing (unless they roleplay something far-fetched or don’t commit to their roleplay, i.e. they stop giving effect to their condition once they’re beyond clinic’s doors).

The problem with out-of-character liaising is that it’s technically mixing.  (Though I wouldn’t mind an exception being made if there already isn’t one).

I think being reasonably inquisitive should be enough to protect the professional; after all, the standard is reasonable care and skill expected of a medical professional.

I wanted to make sure @Mecovy thought about this and ensured that they’re prepared in case someone tried to abuse.