Complete overhaul of the nametag system proposal - more immersive, prevents a lot of MG while still being OOCly reportable etc

Kaasisbaas

Why does it need to be this complicated? Combined this system existed for over a decade, and the whole metagaming thing is just thrown around without regard. This is over-complicating something that doesn't need to be over-complicated. I'm not really looking forward to roleplaying with MALE 30 y/o Stranger 57384. What is the problem with people seeing your nametag? I've never experienced issues personally, so I'm not sure what the metagame people keep referencing is. 

The easiest implementation of this system would be in the form of the identify system that's proven in the HL2RP scene on Gmod. Each character would have a unique description describing their appearance and attributes. Their name would simply be specified with a simple ID or title which can be referenced by administrators. In that system, players are able to press an identification Key designed to be pressed when telling someone your name In Character. Players are then able to select a range for the identification, resulting in players within that range being given the ability to see their character name without filter. 

I don't share the opinion that we would need a system like this, and find it absolutely unnecessary. 

This isn't practical or needed at all. A long convoluted system that makes the name tag system even more out of character is not the answer. It's too much on the eyes and it'd completely clog up your screen if there's more than five people in an area. There does not need to be a detailed script behind everything. That system is NOT immersive.

In my years of role playing, I've seen someone outright meta-game a name tag only a handful of times as it's the most fundamental part of a character, anyone who directly meta-games it is usually caught out — it's not a pressing issue. The system should be kept the same as is.

I like the idea of not seeing names... in theory.

It doesn't have to be that complicated. You simply go by the players unique ID for the account, already in the database, then it's not as confusing in chat since the ID isn't "stranger xxxxxxxx". Plus the ID would still be over the characters head. 

I'd also like to point out that this is only for characters you haven't met. The idea is that a player can set a name for another player at anytime. That name will appear for only that player.  I like this because people can give you a fake name if they want. 

However, while I agree that it could help immersion I don't think it's worthwhile if it over complicates the script. Which I'm assuming it would since you would have to have a way to store each unique identifier that each person sets for a player. 

There is a simple compromise to achieve a boost in immersion without this system:

Lower the distance at which you can read a persons name to something realistic to the distance you'd need to be to identify someone IRL. 

33 minutes ago, pixel said:

I like the idea of not seeing names... in theory.

It doesn't have to be that complicated. You simply go by the players unique ID for the account, already in the database, then it's not as confusing in chat since the ID isn't "stranger xxxxxxxx". Plus the ID would still be over the characters head. 

I'd also like to point out that this is only for characters you haven't met. The idea is that a player can set a name for another player at anytime. That name will appear for only that player.  I like this because people can give you a fake name if they want. 

However, while I agree that it could help immersion I don't think it's worthwhile if it over complicates the script. Which I'm assuming it would since you would have to have a way to store each unique identifier that each person sets for a player. 

There is a simple compromise to achieve a boost in immersion without this system:

Lower the distance at which you can read a persons name to something realistic to the distance you'd need to be to identify someone IRL. 

this