The Police Department & You

Big_Smokes

I don't see how it's impossible to do things IG as a captain or a police chief. Nobody is asking you to roll around like a traffic cop, but there are a lot of occasions where they are exposed to the public, and that's not just behind a microphone on a stage. And otherwise, they can just do things IG in police stations. I've been in a legal faction before, I know it's easier to discuss stuff in IC subforums, but maybe put some of that roleplay in game? That would give your characters more reason to be used in the actual game.

"Command" officers definitely patrol the streets. Claiming a captain or a lieutenant don't do field duties only really shows that you're so ignorant about american law enforcement, that you don't even know how much you don't know.

I would like to ask this question: Why the oversensitiveness about roleplaying an older, higher-ranked cop, when there are seemingly no qualms about a member assuming 2 or 3 different positions at the same time? Is that realistic?

Try to apply some logic with me. There are 3% of "command officers" in LAPD, that is LT and up. Yet seeing a lieutenant in the streets is a fairly common sight, especially in situations that require more supervision.
Meanwhile, there are about 15 "command officers" and "staff officers" in LSPD. I highly doubt LSPD has 500 members.

What's "unrealistic" isn't lieutenants in the streets; it's the proportion of higher ups in the faction that would make this a too-common sight, and the solution to that is certainly not handcuffing your higher-ups to an office. It's boring, and halts their character's development (several command members admitted here to barely play on their higher-up alts).

I also highly doubt anyone asked the CoP to show up in a Buffalo to a SWAT situation. But CoPs can and do involve themselves in situations, when it calls for it. BinaryRun literally showed you a picture of a Chief of Police yelling in a megaphone, inches away from a group of protestors. They can do it to boost morale among their own, but sometimes it's also because the department truly needs all hands on deck.

And all of this also applies to SD, obviously.

Edited by arrdef
3 minutes ago, arrdef said:

I don't see how it's impossible to do things IG as a captain or a police chief. Nobody is asking you to roll around like a traffic cop, but there are a lot of occasions where they are find in public, and that's not just behind a microphone on a stage.

"Command" officers definitely patrol the streets. Claiming a captain or a lieutenant don't do field duties only really shows that you're so ignorant about american law enforcement, that you don't even know how much you don't know.

I would like to ask this question: Why the oversensitiveness about roleplaying an older, higher-ranked cop, when there are seemingly no qualms about a member assuming 2 or 3 different positions at the same time? Is that realistic?

Try to apply this logic with me. There are 3% of "command officers" in LAPD, that is LT and up. Yet seeing a lieutenant in the streets is a fairly common sight, especially in situations that require more supervision.

Meanwhile, there are about 15 "command officers" and "staff officers" in LSPD. I highly doubt LSPD has 500 members.
What's "unrealistic" isn't lieutenants in the streets; it's the proportion of higher ups in the faction that would make this a too-common sight, and the solution to that is certainly not handcuffing your higher-ups to an office. It's boring, and halts their character's development (several command members admitted here to barely play on their higher-up alts).

I also highly doubt anyone asked the CoP to show up in a Buffalo to a SWAT situation. But CoPs can and do involve themselves in situations, when it calls for it. BinaryRun literally showed you a picture of a Chief of Police yelling in a megaphone, inches away from a group of protestors.

Nobody ever claimed that it's impossible to do things in the field as captain, chief of police or anything for that matter. I specifically said basic law enforcement officer work. I cannot do that without an alt character, period. You've either misread what I said or are intentionally misquoting me.

I patrol plenty on my Captain character. I do plenty things on my Chief of Police character. But I have a detective alt character where I can just relax on and play the game. There's a difference there.

We have plenty lieutenants and captains out there on the daily, and the (deputy) chiefs are not chained to their desks. They just can't go around doing basic patrol work, and that is what I was trying to make clear. What they can do however is do what Michael Moore did in that picture, play their political part during a relevant event. However, those don't happen on the daily and thus we have to pick and choose carefully when and where we do things on our staff characters.

You're literally repeating what I just said but in your own words.

Also, I really don't see how realism comes in to play when the same person (OOC) has different characters in the same faction. One has nothing to do with the other.

Edited by Big_Smokes
4 minutes ago, arrdef said:

I don't see how it's impossible to do things IG as a captain or a police chief. Nobody is asking you to roll around like a traffic cop, but there are a lot of occasions where they are find in public, and that's not just behind a microphone on a stage.

Try to apply this logic with me. There are 3% of "command officers" in LAPD, that is LT and up. Yet seeing a lieutenant in the streets is a fairly common sight, especially in situations that require more supervision.

I also highly doubt anyone asked the CoP to show up in a Buffalo to a SWAT situation. But CoPs can and do involve themselves in situations, when it calls for it. BinaryRun literally showed you a picture of a Chief of Police yelling in a megaphone, inches away from a group of protestors.

Okay, clearly you haven't read anything that has been stated already and I encourage you to read again everything that has been stated already. No one is saying any differently from what you are saying here.

My Character and other Chief characters are out and about meeting with the community. Myself and one of Chief the other day took a walk in Little Seoul to rp with people on the streets and it's fun rp to do. 

Our members that are command staff do patrol and often and our LTs are out in the streets that's no different from what you have stated. 

Yes the Chief has and will go out to great the public if that situation arises and I have seen him do so. 

Alts from staff members does not affect the "slots" or even affect the progression of anybody but my Deputy Chief position and rank. 

Edited by Cascade

You seem to have a very skewered and inaccurate view of my faction based on browsing the forums for a while. Considering we have spoken on discord before, you are more then welcome to message me if you actually have questions about the inner workings of my faction, because I am more then happy to answer any questions you have.

Unfortunately you haven't responded, but I'll leave my messages to you outstanding.

You quoted me, because I said that it was unfair to expect someone else's character to be ruined when you're not willing to CK yourself. That was me explaining the fact that there are rules here (as I told you, that you can find in the penal code) that we are not allowed to use certain charges if you do not CK

I don't know how my faction members giving people the common courtesy OOC makes you believe that there is some sort of exclusion for petty criminals and that they are no longer being targeted just like anyone else, that couldn't be further from the truth.

As you can read throughout the message, I was talking about my experience over the past 11/12 months, not a single situation. Information gained from others confirm that it's being experienced by multiple individuals. It is very difficult to get a light criminal record when the PD is involved from what I've gathered and seen. You have the freedom to disagree, but that doesn't mean that it isn't the experience that is being provided.

Why should I be restricted from roleplaying a law enforcement officer at the ground level because I'm the faction leader?

Having one alt character in the faction is enough to give you that freedom right? There is no need for some people to have 3+ characters in the faction.

We've had these alt characters for the better part of two years now.

Doing something for a very long time doesn't equal that it's the best thing to do.

Realistically, my character would have paperwork to do and is almost simply a political character.

But isn't that the ultimate goal of heavy roleplay? As you age your character and gain different skills, you loose others (fitness for example), more easily recovery after work sustained injuries. You could've chosen not to promote because you don't like that position as much instead of creating an alt to take over what your main character used to do. (Simply speaking) Now like I said, for HC+ I understand that there is a need to have one character, but otherwise it's almost borderline rule breaking as your characters would have to listen to the instructions (manuals, addendum etc) from your HC characters.

The below is not a reply to anyone in specific, but when people have 3+ people in the same faction, it's almost impossible not to break this rule, even if you aren't aware of it:

Each of your characters should be unique from your other characters. Making similar characters that have the same motivations, goals, objectives etc. is forbidden. This is to avoid players name changing to avoid consequences. Switching names between your characters is also forbidden.

All characters you create cannot interact with each other in any way.

I did read this topic thoroughly. I tend to reply to everyone, including people who only bother to make a 1-line meme about "Lol, Staff Officers/Command Officers don't patrol the streets IRL."

I didn't mean to accuse LSPD of doing this or that, I was just clarifying what the common-sense stance should be on this issue. If LSPD follows it, then it's great news. I'm still baffled by the way the majority of people decide that there's not enough RP to be done as a high-ranked character, and that they must make lower ranked alts. BinaryRun summed it up, so I won't restate the thought behind that stance.

It's true that there's not a lot of political characters to interact with as a CoP, but according to some statements here and there, a political scene is in the works. Hopefully that gives you more to play with, and will lessen the obsession about making 2, sometimes 3 alts.

Edited by arrdef
Just now, BinaryRun said:

The below is not a reply to anyone in specific, but when people have 3+ people in the same faction, it's almost impossible not to break this rule, even if you aren't aware of it:

As stated in the rules 

Members of approved factions may have alternative characters in the same faction after approval is granted by Faction Management. These characters are given some leeway when it comes to benefiting their own faction or referencing their other characters. 

Just now, arrdef said:

I did read this topic thoroughly. I tend to reply to everyone, including people who only bother to make a 1-line line about "Lol, Staff Officers/Command Officers don't patrol the streets IRL."

I didn't mean to accuse LSPD of doing this or that, I was just clarifying what the common-sense stance should be on this issue. If LSPD follows it, then it's great news.

We try our best! No problem ? 

Just now, Cascade said:

As stated in the rules 

Did you personally get permission for each individual character and is it ever evaluated how much they affect each other? Some leeway is understandable, but 3 characters is really overdoing it. There is nothing wrong with re-evaluating.

• Wuhtah locked this topic
  • mj2002 unlocked this topic
  • Wuhtah locked and unlocked this topic