petty forum reports

Been a few days that I noticed we have a bunch of petty forum reports and since I came from another community, I genuinely want to understand why's that. I've seen a few people reporting over nothing, even when they're not involved or they weren't harmed with the alleged rule break. Should the report team do something about it? Examples:

• police cruiser crashed into a pole and a guy that's not involved with the pursuit assumes the cop didn't roleplay the injuries, creating a forum report and obligating the reported party to reply, wasting everyone's time
  • you assume someone committed MG for any reason but you don't have a single evidence; you still create a forum report
  • you think someone is breaking a rule and you follow him around the city trying to catch something (you didn't interact with him) but you're not a staff member
  • situations in general when you're not involved; when you didn't interact with the "rule breaker"

I bet there's more good examples, but that's all I have on my mind right now. You guys think that's healthy for the community? I think we already have too much forum reports and people should mind their own business. of course you have the right to report someone when you were harmed but what do you think when that's not the case?

• Upvote 14

Follow rules and you have nothing to fear. It's simple as that.

People call reports petty, often to try to hide their own rule break. It's always funny to see people calling report on them petty, and then they end up getting punished for obvious rule break.

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Applaud 1
4 minutes ago, Lindsie said:

Follow rules and you have nothing to fear. It's simple as that.

People call reports petty, often to try to hide their own rule break. It's always funny to see people calling report on them petty, and then they end up getting punished for obvious rule break.

I think you didn't understand my question here. The big ? is: Why would you report someone when you're not involved or you weren't harmed? What do you win with that?

• Upvote 1

This thread is pointless. People need to be more comfortable making reports, not less. Admins are perfectly capable of determining when a report is being made in bad faith and acting accordingly, so the system sorts itself without the need to try and influence people against making reports.

• Upvote 1
  • Applaud 1

I agree, making petty reports only adds to the pile of reports admins have to work through before they can get to the serious reports. We need to reduce the work load on admins as much as possible since they already have it bad enough as it is. We need to make their jobs easier not harder. 

• Upvote 1

There's plenty I've seen. Especially when a house gets broken into. Zero evidence but "I feel like my property was MG'd so gimme my guns back please". Honestly, get rid of "sending evidence to handling admin". Should have to have all evidence in public view since it's a public report. If they can't do that, then an admin needs to close it immediately. That would be a good start to ending these petty reports. 

• Upvote 4
2 hours ago, heartbeat81 said:

I think you didn't understand my question here. The big ? is: Why would you report someone when you're not involved or you weren't harmed? What do you win with that?

So people learn to follow rules in the future?

23 minutes ago, CertifiedKiller said:

I agree, making petty reports only adds to the pile of reports admins have to work through before they can get to the serious reports. We need to reduce the work load on admins as much as possible since they already have it bad enough as it is. We need to make their jobs easier not harder. 

I wonder what is the solution... oh wait... Don't break rules!

Reports can also be used for educating people. Don't always have to go for the punishment. Calling reports petty though is kinda cringe. Just trying to make excuses for those small rule breaks people do.

Edited by Lindsie

If a rule is broken, failing to address that rulebreak is allowing the community as a whole to suffer. If someone observes a rulebreak in any capacity, it should never be discouraged to want to uphold the written rules of the community.

19 minutes ago, Lindsie said:

Calling reports petty though is kinda cringe.

It's usually most often said by people who are guilty, too. I can't even begin to count the amount of times a dude would answer a report with "This report is petty" and then get punished for very obviously breaking the rules.

• Upvote 4

Why would you report someone when you're not involved or you weren't harmed? What do you win with that?

This is the ONLY right way to act. I wish I wasn't so lazy, otherwise I'd do it too. 

• Upvote 1

Honestly, more people should /report first before immediately jumping into a forum report. And even before /report, you can PM the person to try to resolve it without having to get an admin involved. Especially for super minor things.

A lot of issues can be solved with basic ingame communication. Immediately jumping straight to a forum report when the situation could’ve been easily resolved ingame just wastes everyone’s time and floods the forum report page with petty reports. 

• Upvote 1