State of San Andreas - State of driving - Public Barometer

State of San Andreas Driving - Public opinion survey  

304 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It's no secret that the street racing "roleplay" scene has gotten out of control, as have all of the unaffiliated poor driver situations. All the reports in the world won't fix it because ultimately it's not a consequence for an action, and it's hard to collectively fix a large group of people doing a bad thing with individual tellings off.

It's not really a "just handle it IC" situation. Noone in PD, SD or any other LEO faction wants to waste time chasing another 19 year old in a 500k car over a speeding ticket because they choose to commit felony evasion because the player does not care to consider their character's POV for their actions.  It's not worth anyone in an LEO faction's time dealing with this. It's got 0 RP value. 0. One out of 20 interactions with these type of incident result in a decent roleplay scene.  Noone wants to deal with that when they can go off and RP with people who are here to actually RP instead.

The only way to fix it is going to be via hard, mechanical, enforcement. What does that mean? Consequences for taking risky/poorly thought out actions that are inconvenient or troublesome. 

A more robust vehicle damage script, for example. Something that leaves persistent damage that ramps up rapidly and is not easily fixed when you get into bad situations. Car rolls over? Smash into that post at 150? It should ruin that car. Make it so that the car can't just be "fixed" if it's too severe. It has to be written off. You shouldn't get to keep your expensive sports vehicle you totalled driving badly after it rolled 6 times and it ate a concrete crash barrier. The magic mechanic should not be able to fix it.

Make keeping these cars more prohibitive and expensive. Taxation, higher cost of purchase, shitty MPG. 

Add handling adjustments for off-road driving. Your super low suspension sports car should handle like shit in the dirt/halfway up a mountain. 

Just in general, anything that makes going out of your way to do something dumb a bad idea with high risk vs low reward. You want to do 150 through the middle of Hawick? There should be a legitimate risk for that. 

We also need far stricter sentencing/seizure and license suspensions for these. Noone should be complaining about losing their car or having their license suspended for 4 months when they're on their 9th count of evading in the past 3 months.

Of course, there also needs to be more of an RPQM step up on 23 year olds with 6 high end tuner cars in their garage who live out of a motel room too. 

Of course, this isn't even touching on 17 year olds owning a souped up torrence or buffalo STX because they're the "meta evasion cars."  The whole car thing really isn't in a good spot right now and it's not really improving and far more needs to be done to address these myriad issues. It's just not good roleplay. 

Edited by Sam2
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Applaud 1
2 hours ago, PeopleKind said:

Lock all cars at 100MPH & have street racing "factions" apply to get faster cars. There is absolutely zero need to be able to hit 150+ MPH on a map as small as San Andreas.

This would be quite silly. Do Law Enforcement have this lock, if so—we're now to assume every street racer can evade without issue. If they do not have it then what about criminals who attempt to evade? They're now disadvantaged as they're artificially handicapped. Plus, it doesn't even resolve any issues. 100mph is still significant speed to fly through intersections with, it also has no impact on the decision to ignore yields, etc...

You'd give a whole faction / group who are typically seen as the worst offenders a weird OOC boost to their cars that nobody has, nobody would ever agree to that

2 minutes ago, KaythPlus said:

This would be quite silly. Do Law Enforcement have this lock, if so—we're now to assume every street racer can evade without issue. If they do not have it then what about criminals who attempt to evade? They're now disadvantaged as they're artificially handicapped. Plus, it doesn't even resolve any issues. 100mph is still significant speed to fly through intersections with, it also has no impact on the decision to ignore yields, etc...

You'd give a whole faction / group who are typically seen as the worst offenders a weird OOC boost to their cars that nobody has, nobody would ever agree to that

It was sarcasm. The point was, these people would never apply to it, because they lack any actual RP abilities to properly start a faction. My point still stands, we don't need cars that go that fast in a map the size of San Anne.

6 minutes ago, PeopleKind said:

It was sarcasm. The point was, these people would never apply to it, because they lack any actual RP abilities to properly start a faction. My point still stands, we don't need cars that go that fast in a map the size of San Anne.

But then the few legitimate racing events held by organizations that do it correctly with medical on board (etc...) would have their roleplay gimped. So you'd have to rather look into exemptions to make it work or simply accept you'll ruin some legitimate roleplay to target the bad apples.

Not to mention once again, speed is only part of the issue and doesn't fix it. And, 100MPH is still far too fast for the most populated part of the map.

Edited by KaythPlus

I think we sit at a pretty good point for GTA V roleplay. Obviously, we can't have the vanilla story mode traffic to slow people. So, we get like a fair 50/50 split of people driving normal and others driving fast and reckless. But the staff team do a pretty good job stopping people that take it above and beyond into just outright unrealistic. The rest should be handled by the law makers and enforcers.

On 3/5/2024 at 10:30 AM, Martyn said:

The other day I saw 3-4 of these tuned up mallrat vehicles race through the city in a convoy, playing that little shitty game where you have to follow the vehicle in front to the best of your ability and the vehicle up front has to try his hardest to make the route difficult and shake the followers off. They were speeding through the city going over sidewalks and doing the most unrealistic crazy shit ever. They were going so fast shit doesn't load in for them so they literally slammed into us and they themselves weren't impacted by the collision because we didn't even appear on their screens yet. I don't know how y'all want to take shit like this IC, this a breach of common courtesy, its a breach of realistic portrayal and these people need to start getting ajailed and having their vehicles taken from them.

There are plenty of legal race tracks and options to race on the server now without having to blatantly be a nuisance to everyone around you.

Is your argument there should be no room on the server for street racers and it should all be contained to a race track? Lets get rid of all criminal roleplay then by that logic since it has the potential to be a nuisance. And this is coming from someone like me who has stuck to legal Government roleplay for 90 percent of my time on this server. People don't roleplay to just drive like someone going to a 9-5 job. They want to emulate the things that are done in real life that they can't do like criminal roleplay and car culture of America that often has drivers weaving through traffic on a highway with a BMW 3 series or Infinite G37 or Scatpack. I see it all the time, people IRL driving like idiots in the States. Don't get me wrong can things be improved on? Yes, but the argument since there are racing tracks people shouldn't be allowed to engage in criminal driving roleplay like streetracing and street take overs is insane. 

Edited by Power
2 hours ago, Power said:

Is your argument there should be no room on the server for street racers and it should all be contained to a race track? Lets get rid of all criminal roleplay then by that logic since it has the potential to be a nuisance. And this is coming from someone like me who has stuck to legal Government roleplay for 90 percent of my time on this server. People don't roleplay to just drive like someone going to a 9-5 job. They want to emulate the things that are done in real life that they can't do like criminal roleplay and car culture of America that often has drivers weaving through traffic on a highway with a BMW 3 series or Infinite G37 or Scatpack. I see it all the time, people IRL driving like idiots in the States. Don't get me wrong can things be improved on? Yes, but the argument since there are racing tracks people shouldn't be allowed to engage in criminal driving roleplay like streetracing and street take overs is insane. 

If they blaze through the road and RP their crash, then fine. But they don't. Do people IRL don't RP their crash as well?

That's the point.

• Upvote 5
2 hours ago, Power said:

Is your argument there should be no room on the server for street racers and it should all be contained to a race track? Lets get rid of all criminal roleplay then by that logic since it has the potential to be a nuisance. And this is coming from someone like me who has stuck to legal Government roleplay for 90 percent of my time on this server.

This is the third or fourth time you had to be reminded by someone else that we're not talking about people who roleplay crashes in this thread, but people who drive unrealistically and don't roleplay crashes or consequences.

• Upvote 1
17 hours ago, varthshenon said:

If they blaze through the road and RP their crash, then fine. But they don't. Do people IRL don't RP their crash as well?

That's the point.

What does forcing people into indoor tracks have to do with Roleplaying crashes? If this is just about people not roleplaying crashes that is an OOC rule enforcement issue yet people are bringing up IC things like stricter laws, capping car speeds and limiting people to race tracks. 

That is my point.

17 hours ago, Jeroen said:

This is the third or fourth time you had to be reminded by someone else that we're not talking about people who roleplay crashes in this thread, but people who drive unrealistically and don't roleplay crashes or consequences.

Then what is the point of bringing up indoor race tracks if its just about RP crashes? You already made your point. I don't agree with it, I don't need to be reminded of anything, because people are bringing up "solutions" that have nothing to do with what you claim is the focus of people complaints. If it was just an issue of people not Roleplaying then what does stricter IC laws have to do with that when its an OOC rule breaking issue according to you? You guys need to make up your mind is this about OOC rulebreaking and ignoring Roleplay or IC driving, street racers and traffic laws. Anyways have a good one.

Edited by Power
  • Applaud 1