State of San Andreas - State of driving - Public Barometer

State of San Andreas Driving - Public opinion survey  

304 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

9 hours ago, mj2002 said:

Right now, there seems to be a pretty broad agreement that the current way in which people drive is too unrealistic and generally 'too fast'. We established that and now obviously people start pointing fingers at each other because there isn't much else to argue here. Fun, but this achieves nothing of course. This thread should be followed up by a thread where solutions to the problem are polled too. Then we'll see what can feasibly be implemented to solve this.

I have said what the solution is long ago.

Cap the acceleration of all cars to a 50% of the current one, that is doable.

Fixed.

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, varthshenon said:

I see. However, my chara already got hit by LEO (IDK which one FD SD etc.) and the classic "you didn't load" message was seen.

I also saw plenty of them crossing intersections without stopping, even no roll stop, even when seeing my chara stopping at the intersection. Some players also sounded their opinions about them as well here. They are not exempted from the problem.

It's good that they have internal punishment, but they are still doing it.

Just like with everything else that's claimed to be sync related you don't have to agree to skip it, I believe technically we aren't meant to skip anything period regardless but between players it happens regularly. That said, I would argue LEO's are held accountable for their actions on several levels both IC and OOC when it comes to this sort of thing IF they're reported. Beyond what is already there OOC with server rules in regards to roleplay, common courtesy, powergaming, etc when it comes to potential punishments, then on top of that you have faction OOC suspensions, demotions and dismissals depending on the severity and even IC character all the way up to being made to name change if you wish to remain in the faction. Not sure what else you could tac on as a preventative there.

15 hours ago, FOOBACCA said:

Then maybe the LEOs should exercise in character caution as they would in real life and think WOW THIS IS A REALLY DANGEROUS SPEED AND WE ARE PUTTING THE LIVES OF CIVILIANS AT RISK BY PURSUING THIS VEHICLE IN THE MANNER THAT WE ARE, MAYBE WE SHOULD PULL BACK. 

I’ve been crashed into by cops just as many times as civilians. 

If we were to do that then no crime would ever be countered. LSSD and I'm pretty sure LSPD have regulations in place for pursuits as it is, if they cause accidents by driving like ass out of regulation they can be held accountable both IC and OOC. You could even get a couple hundred grand out of it if you pursue it legally.

Most pursuits for minor charges, like somebody evading over a ticket gets terminated typically at least by LSSD supervisors. However when it comes to murderers, armed robbers etc unfortunately we have to match the pace of the people we're chasing. Otherwise it'd be pointless even existing as a faction. Lower the speed/acceleration of vehicles? That would help solve that problem.

• Upvote 3

I'm not sure if just lowering the acceleration is the solution, this would make it even harder for cops to catch suspects who are already going 100+ miles per hour.

I think that lowing the top speed of vehicles and possibly acceleration would actually have a positive impact.

With that you can also lower the speed limit on the highway to 90/80 miles per hour.

Lower the speed limit on county roads to 60/70 miles per hour.

Lower the speed limit in the city to 40/50 miles per hour.

The speed limit should of course be adjusted to something sane.

The current speed limit in the city of 60 miles per hour (96 km/h) is literal highway speeds in a lot of places.

Lowering vehicle speeds in GTA:W will probably enhance immersion, as players will take the time to appreciate where they're driving. I know I often do as I like to take a bicycle ingame and leisurely ride it around at 7 AM server time. It also will likely increase player interactions, encourage people to interact with things around them as they're encouraged to take the time to look around them, instead of just the traffic in front of them. This will very likely improve safety, as players will have more time to react to sudden changes in traffic or the environment, including things that many players currently pass off as "lag" or "desync". The neighborhoods and generally the world will feel bigger.

Edit: Not turning this into a legal v. illegal debate. But one upside from lowering the top speed of vehicles is that police response times will increase slightly!

Edited by Jeroen
1 hour ago, Jeroen said:

With that you can also lower the speed limit on the highway to 90/80 miles per hour.

Lower the speed limit on county roads to 60/70 miles per hour.

Lower the speed limit in the city to 40/50 miles per hour.

Lowering the speed limit is not the way to go. People who follow the current 50/80/100 mph limits don't cause any issues. It's the ones that go 100mph in the city that do. The current limit, at least within the city, is okay and if you follow it you'll have enough time to notice other traffic. Driving at 50mph is already almost like going like a snail, so reducing it will be more annoying than helpful tbf.

Going back to the '100 mph drivers', I think there should be some OOC punishments handed to players who do that with no apparent IC justification. Also, there should be more OOC consequences/punishments for people that just simply void car crashes/traffic collisions (happens too often tbh). Maybe the rules could be amended too to remind/inform new and existing players that you should consider how your character would behave on the road. But ultimately, I think it would be the administration's job to define and enforce the standard (I don't think it's enforced enough atm).

Of course, we can have some IC measures introduced as well, but I doubt they'd be effective as OOC punishments. I also really liked the idea of putting the active speed limit on the HUD. This would show what speed players are supposed to follow if they're unaware.

• Upvote 1

Imho, approach it from both an IC & OOC angle.

thurough review of the traffic section of the penal code and give it some actual teeth. 

Hit people where it hurts. Financially and make it as annoying as possible. 

Start with actual revocations of licenses. Currently there's not a single crime in the penal code that allows you to outright revoke a license. Significantly hike up fines & prison time for traffic offenses. Permanent seizure of vehicles used repeatedly to break the sound barrier within the city. Losing a 200-400k car is going to hurt alot more than a 10k ticket. 

At the same time, come at it from an OOC perspective on the administrative side. And I'm sure you'll start seeing changes.

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, Jeroen said:

I'm not sure if just lowering the acceleration is the solution, this would make it even harder for cops to catch suspects who are already going 100+ miles per hour.

I think that lowing the top speed of vehicles and possibly acceleration would actually have a positive impact.

This seems like a weird solution. First of all, if you reduce the acceleration across the board, then those suspects will take longer to get to that 100+ miles per hour. Perhaps they won't even get there? It doesn't seem that logical to me that if you change these evenly, that somehow cops will be at a further disadvantage than before. I'm open to hear why that would be though.

As for reducing top speed, that's a bit counter intuitive. If you decrease acceleration, it'll be harder to reach top speeds already. They are currently rather low compared to real life. Part of that is because the map is pretty small, but I'd rather raise the top speed in order to compensate for a reduced acceleration.

IMHO, implement San Andreas Highway Patrol on the server, let them you know, be a faction that is fully focused towards traffic. I can tell you as a long lasting member of the LSPD Traffic Division that we're pulled away from doing traffic stuff so much that it's hard trying to do our tasks as traffic as we have to deal with everything else.

2, harsher punishments for people who are repeat offenders, as someone else on here said, make people have to actually go to court to get this license back after a set number of violations.

3, I dunno, make all the traffic rules available ingame so that anyone can have easy access to them, I know an old SAMP server I was on had a command to bring all the laws ingame.

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, KL said:

Lowering the speed limit is not the way to go. People who follow the current 50/80/100 mph limits don't cause any issues. It's the ones that go 100mph in the city that do. The current limit, at least within the city, is okay and if you follow it you'll have enough time to notice other traffic. Driving at 50mph is already almost like going like a snail, so reducing it will be more annoying than helpful tbf.

This is the current speed limit we have:

"Any person, at all times, on any official state, county, or local roads of any scale - drivers must maintain a maximum speed of 100 MP/H on highways, 75 MP/H on county roads outside city limits, 60 MP/H on roads within city limits, and 45 MP/H on roads in areas designated as a "State Park" or "Hunting Zone", and 45 MP/H on roads in school and university zones. Drivers must use fair judgement when driving on roads with adjusted conditions (such as closed, unpaved, slick, and damaged roads)."

City speed limit is 60, not 50. County is 75. And I agree that I can barely maintain or reach 60 if I want to drive "realistically" within the city. It's pretty high to be honest, but I don't know how it is in actual California. It's only around (probably) 25-50 where I live within the city, depends on the road.

But I don't think lowering the speed limit actually prevent the 100ers since they disregard them in the first place.

@KL @varthshenon As I said in my reply, this lowering of the speed limit would be accompanied by lowering the top speed of the vehicles themselves.

3 hours ago, mj2002 said:

This seems like a weird solution. First of all, if you reduce the acceleration across the board, then those suspects will take longer to get to that 100+ miles per hour. Perhaps they won't even get there? It doesn't seem that logical to me that if you change these evenly, that somehow cops will be at a further disadvantage than before. I'm open to hear why that would be though.

As for reducing top speed, that's a bit counter intuitive. If you decrease acceleration, it'll be harder to reach top speeds already. They are currently rather low compared to real life. Part of that is because the map is pretty small, but I'd rather raise the top speed in order to compensate for a reduced acceleration.

If you reduce the acceleration of vehicles, then they'll take longer to reach top speed. But I'm sure that persistent ones will reach it regardless, especially with how GTA:V physics work. Police will have a much harder time intercepting these individuals if their cars also have a lower acceleration. Many cops out there already have a hard time catching up to vehicles going full speed, as they're often already long gone before you reach the top speed to intercept them.