The future of medical roleplay

4 minutes ago, eTaylor said:

Which is the state I'd be in if I had to pay 10K for a gunshot wound. 

yeah paying for healthcare while realistic would be pretty dumb ngl

we dont have insurance companies here to firebomb. i see no reason to do it. just pretend you do it. no need to script it

Edited by Twentybyte
  • Upvote 1
  • Applaud 1

I believe 70-80k a week is not too much for a doctor. I read comments saying they're already paid a lot but there's a lot of work done, and doctors earn a lot of money in real life as well so if everything, increase the salaries! Anyways, that's not the issue (although it could help improve activity and motivation).

On the argument about not forcing players to roleplay hospital situations, I have to disagree. We have to understand that this is a Heavy Roleplay server, and therefore consequences should be impactful, yes? If one can go to jail and be FORCED to spend howerer long there, then why can't it be the same for someone who is injured?

Sure, people get injured all the time, so then there would need to be a system that filters out some situations, and make it so that a hosptial stay would not be a very common or repetitive occurence.

On the topic of health insurance, make it a smaller amount, make it so that people NEED to take care of it, but not be worried about the money.

And lastly, having scripted elements will improve the roleplay experience for the medical roleplayers but ESPECIALLY for the players who have to go through that ordeal. Make it a little more interactive. How? I don't know, but one of the more popular complains has been that medical roleplay in general is too boring and we also know that there has been an improvement in how EMTs and Physicians conduct themselves (making the experience less overwhelming) so some scriptwise support would be welcomed. There have been many interesting suggestions about vaccines, allowing pharmacies to prosper, and most importantly, giving medication a purpose because as of right now, prescriptions are useless.

Edited by LqManik
  • Upvote 1
9 hours ago, tayswiz said:

I'm seeing a lot of mixed opinions on forced medical RP, and I think no matter what, there's going to be people unhappy with whatever changes are made, which is kind of the case with anything. With that said, I'd offer a few thoughts on how things could be integrated and balanced to increase medical RP while not forcing medical RP on those who don't necessarily want to do it. 

Forgive me if any of the suggestions mentioned were already made. I read through a lot of the responses, but not all of them

Balanced Illness System 

This doesn't have to be too crazy. The general population probably doesn't want to RP have serious, life threatening diseases which is completely understandable. This could continue being voluntarily RP'd

With that said,  I think non-life threatening illnesses COULD perhaps be interesting. Something like a cold, the flu, maybe a stomach bug, etc. The effects of these could simply be on the player side, such as dizzying walking, decreasing health, etc. However, there could be a quick remedy by going to the doctor and getting a pill or whatever makes sense medically for the illness to cure it. This allows for more traffic in medical roleplay and the opportunity for people to create Urgent Care businesses. If there are no urgent cares or hospital staff on duty, this could be sold via NPC (much like mechanics). 

Forced Injuries

I think with the amount of desyncs and bugs, forcing an injury system probably isn't the best idea for the sake of our support/admin team. WIth that said for properly RP'd situations, make it a two step system. Player 1 RPly breaks Player 2's arm. Player 1 has to /forceinjury [targ] [injury] and then player 2 has to accept. If they don't accept if the situation is played out properly it could be seen as a form of PG. 

Vaccines / Flu Slots, etc.
Like the licensing system, a vaccination system could be implemented, but perhaps instead of vaccines lasting years like they do IRL, make them last a couple of months. This could work with the likelihood of the character getting sick via the illness system above, and guarantee foot traffic to medical professionals from every new (non anti-vaxer character) and every x amount of months. This can't be NPC'd and would cause a need for medical professionals both putting PHMC at need as well as additional private practices. 

Plastic Surgery
Now this one might be a bit of a stretch, but it could be interesting to implement some sort of limit on how many plastic surgeries one could do on their character before having to go to a doctor to get it done. This would increase the need for this specialty at PHMC (though technically it could be that any surgeon or doctor could do it if surgeons are understaffed). Now while the person will have to see a plastic surgeon to get work done, the actual surgery RP would be optional - it can be NPC'd/fade to black if the person doesn't actually want to RP getting the actual surgery.

Script wise, the doctor would allow the person to choose their adjustments just as they do now maybe with something like /giveplasticsurgery [targ] and then the normal PS script would show up. They person would save their changes and then RP accordingly based on how they want to RP it. 

Maybe self plastic surgery attempts could be linked to donator system. 2 for non-donators, 3 for gold, 4 for plat, 5 for partner. 

Just a few ideas - I'm sure all have more and add to this thread!

I think some of my suggestions got lost the FD back and forth, but would love to hear people's thoughts on some of the above. 

These factions are way too complicated in terms of their jargon for most people to even know how to properly RP it. Most of the RP is very one sided as if you're in an emergency situation in real life you're pretty much static and being directed / moved by responders. So you'll just end up being there for someone's RP for however long they want to RP it for. 

This is fine for a once in a blue moon thing, but it's something that not a majority of people would like to participate in. It's also not convenient to make things more reliant upon doctors and the hospital, especially when there are often no one even on during US Evenings. I think in my whole time playing on the server I have only ever seen one nurse and one doctor, and that doctor wasn't even an ICU doctor. 

At the end of the day, like in most other RP servers, Medical roleplay is niche and it's near impossible to get people to want to participate in it. There's very little that you can do to actively feel like you're participating in the roleplay. I would love to see easier requirements to make people more excited to join these legal factions, but a big reason I have never tried to participate in them is due to the sheer amount of LFM ooc paperwork and procedures that need to be filed out. I work a corporate job as is and don't want to go home to do even more for a game. 

Edited by CowboyYoda22
  • Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Twentybyte said:

Not sure how it acts like a Canadian Fire Departments, last I check Canadian Fire Departments are all non-transporting, most don't even certify their members as techs.

Meant common roleplay mentality and character management, not the organization. IMO LSFD has no seriousness and hard reality of an American fire department.

1 hour ago, CowboyYoda22 said:

These factions are way too complicated in terms of their jargon for most people to even know how to properly RP it. Most of the RP is very one sided as if you're in an emergency situation in real life you're pretty much static and being directed / moved by responders. So you'll just end up being there for someone's RP for however long they want to RP it for. 

This is fine for a once in a blue moon thing, but it's something that not a majority of people would like to participate in. It's also not convenient to make things more reliant upon doctors and the hospital, especially when there are often no one even on during US Evenings. I think in my whole time playing on the server I have only ever seen one nurse and one doctor, and that doctor wasn't even an ICU doctor. 

At the end of the day, like in most other RP servers, Medical roleplay is niche and it's near impossible to get people to want to participate in it. There's very little that you can do to actively feel like you're participating in the roleplay. I would love to see easier requirements to make people more excited to join these legal factions, but a big reason I have never tried to participate in them is due to the sheer amount of LFM ooc paperwork and procedures that need to be filed out. I work a corporate job as is and don't want to go home to do even more for a game. 

I think this nails down one of the problems as well. As an EMR as well, I can say, 99% of the situations where some kind of medical response is made, is a one-way scene where the victim is being fed the treatment RP and they just sit there while the responder types it. It's not exactly interactive, two-way roleplay between both parties, most of the time it's RP being made upon the victim as they wait for it to end.

Some script support to remedy this could help. Because as almost everybody said above, medical roleplay as the victim is not engaging, it's not interesting, they don't understand what is being roleplayed upon them. 

As for the injury system being bypassed by PK'ing? It's the controversial suggestion I've always made around: Scrap the PK concept entirely, if you PK, it's a trip to the hospital and carry on with the IC (Yes, you can't force PK to avoid charges), if you want to RP as you died? That's a CK. So then the "permanent health damage" will not go away until treated.

I think that a more advanced injury script would allow for further interaction in medical roleplay as it will make it easier for people who are less experienced in medical roleplay to participate and allow medical professionals to roleplay to a more in-depth level.

• Upvote 2
34 minutes ago, Ascendency said:

Meant common roleplay mentality and character management, not the organization. IMO LSFD has no seriousness and hard reality of an American fire department.

Honestly, this is wrong. As a member of the LSFD since October - I would say compared to other servers, they've pretty much hit the nail on the head from what you would want from a Fire Department roleplay scene. You honestly need to experience it from the inside to see that, LSFD has put in work and it's paid off.

1 hour ago, CowboyYoda22 said:

Here's the thing, many people use jargon sure - But, 9/10 ask someone what something means and they'll be the most helpful to tell you what it means and guide you in the roleplay. 9/10 it ends up being people not asking rather than the medic throwing it at you and expecting you to instantly know. As a member of the LSFD, we're here to help you with medical roleplay should you want to engage with it or us. We're not here to hinder you. I would say the current iteration of the LSFD is the most relaxed and helpful iteration of the LAFD on GTA servers we've had.

• Upvote 1
21 hours ago, Twentybyte said:

We actually teach people to not do this, the vast majority of prehospital providers do not ask vitals, and if they do, let the LSFD know and it can be corrected. 

There is also no longer an academy to join the LSFD, and its more of a field training/go at your own pace training experience.

Last thing tho. To the people who want one faction to be “hyperrealistic” and the other be a “movie style faction”, that is a terrible idea. Why do I know that? Because thats what was done before. One faction had awful roleplay standards and no one joined the other.

I think quality of roleplay in these factions can vary, but at the moment the LSFD has a great midground where we prioritize realistic paramedics who dont focus that much on the medicine unless it needs to be done. A lot of our guys are trained to read the room and do less or more depending on how the person roleplays and acts. What we lack is quality scripts to make this engaging for the patient.

I don’t think another hat in the ring will do jackshit to improve EMS. The LSFD is miles better than where it was a year ago, and that took a fuckton of hard work. Unfortunately it hasn’t been promoted very well as the same stereotypes of medical roleplay are being repeated on this thread ad nauseum. If you actually roleplay around EMS on this server, you know how it actually is.

We don’t have enough players who actually want to try this roleplay due to these stereotypes. I think some of the feedback we’ve gotten in the last few months proves that being in the LSFD can be a blast. We just have to prove that to the rest of the server.

Having cool scripts would be a start.

Having functional hospital scripts would be another great start.

Yeah I haven't dealt with FD in over a ear as I always get npced now. Glad that aspect has changed as I have been silenced for complaining about it in the past.