Stealing Vehicles and /FixVeh

Message added by Vindicator,

Keep the suggestion on topic to the suggestion. Comments that derail the thread or violate the common courtesty rule from this point on will be met with warnings. 

So, we all know /FixVeh is heavily abused, because people don't just use them for glitches, they use them for convenience.

Left your car up in Palateo and took a ride back to Vespucci? /FixVeh. Forget where you parked and the blip is too far away? /Fixveh.

Maybe you can say you went and grabbed it off screen, but that's even assuming they fixveh next time they log in, sometimes they just use up their 3 /fixveh's per /changechar.

But, this leads to an issue when your car is stolen. Half the time, you won't even know its stolen, people just /fixveh it back on top of themselves and completely ignore it. But, if I even think about reporting them, I'll just get called an asshole, and put myself up to more bullshit reports for the smallest things. So, as a car thief, when I jack a car and wreck it, and leave a /cim on the spot where its wrecked, and show up 30m later to find the car is missing.... Like did someone fixveh it, or was it just one of those weirdos who full sprints through the entire town testing every car they run into.

I dunno, I have no way to find out, but it ruined the RP of me ruining someone's car cuz I stole it while drunk. What's the solution to this? Disable /fixveh if someone else was the last person to ride the car? Or if it was lockpicked/hotwired? What about stopping people who just run around testing every car door they come upon, taking cars that are /cim'd disabled (cuz, if we actually disable them, they just disappear). They aren't even really RPing, and breaking CC rules by ignoring /cims.

I dunno, man, I'm just disappointed this scene I made basically got ignored. It would have led to some fun consequences, but the current game systems make it unlikely to happen.

Edited by Astralsomnia
  • Upvote 3
7 minutes ago, Astralsomnia said:

I dunno, I have no way to find out, but it ruined the RP of me ruining someone's car cuz I stole it while drunk.

Maybe the owner of the car won’t find out, but if you let that ruin your rp, then it’s kind of you. Your character still did what they did, the development for that should still go on. Technically your character would never find out, or rather, likely never find out. You just know it OOC so you let it bum you out. 

• Upvote 3
26 minutes ago, Glitch said:

Maybe the owner of the car won’t find out, but if you let that ruin your rp, then it’s kind of you.

Yeah, I'm onboard with this assessment. It should be enough that it was done. If your issue is that someone didn't suffer? That's a you problem. 

• Upvote 7
  • Applaud 1

Considering the main effects of alcohol are loss of coordination and many other things that effect your ability to perform an everyday, simple task, I'd first think about reconsidering RPing an expert lockpicker + hotwirer while your character is under the influence of alcohol. 

That point aside, I agree with @Glitch that others lack of RP in this situation does not effect your own. When I chop cars, I'm fully aware their owners will spawn them in the next day and never roleplay anything happened to them. Does this effect my roleplay and development? No. Lastly, I also agree that your character should never know what happened anyways, as it doesn't make much sense to return to the scene of your crime to check on it, especially only thirty minutes later.

• Upvote 1
12 minutes ago, DasFroggy said:

Yeah, I'm onboard with this assessment. It should be enough that it was done. If your issue is that someone didn't suffer? That's a you problem. 

Well, I left very obvious clues it was me who stole it. I was kind of anticipating if Del would get caught or not, cuz I left a blood trail back to the hotel she's staying at. Plus, she was seen in the bar where she stole the car, when only like, 4 other people were there.

10 minutes ago, Alaska123 said:

Considering the main effects of alcohol are loss of coordination and many other things that effect your ability to perform an everyday, simple task, I'd first think about reconsidering RPing an expert lockpicker + hotwirer while your character is under the influence of alcohol.

The door was unlocked, and I waited about 10m IRL before hotwiring, partially cuz I had to alt tab and take care of some things OOCly (thank god for dual monitors), partially cuz, yeah being wasted she's gunna take a lot longer to hotwire. I think my /me also pointed out, it was only possible because she's tiny and could easily flip herself under the steering wheel (which is what I do IRL lmao)

While it sucks, I wouldn't let someone else's actions like using /fixveh impact your roleplay or your character development. You're still getting the roleplay in, you're still growing your character, and yeah you don't have the vehicle in your possession anymore, but it's still something your character can grow with. Also, if you're convinced someone is using /fixveh to get their car back, you can always /report for it.

2 minutes ago, Brant said:

While it sucks, I wouldn't let someone else's actions like using /fixveh impact your roleplay or your character development. You're still getting the roleplay in, you're still growing your character, and yeah you don't have the vehicle in your possession anymore, but it's still something your character can grow with. Also, if you're convinced someone is using /fixveh to get their car back, you can always /report for it.

Honestly based on this information:

51 minutes ago, sky~ said:

You cannot just fixveh a vehicle that has already been spawned for a while.

I'm beginning to think someone else just ran up on it and grabbed it, and drove off, ignoring the /cim that the car was disabled and wrecked into a tree

When I roam around around this time, I literally constantly run into people who are just sprinting and testing every car door they come across, trying to find an easy ride somewhere.

Edited by Astralsomnia

I mean ... If we're talking about stealing a car to destroy it, why leave a cim and not make actual use of the game mechanics and burn it? 

Some information to consider:

/fixveh cannot be used on cars that are already spawned for a while

Cars that are chopped are unavailable for a few hours and even then, must be picked up at impound (or /vg'd & /fixveh'd but only after a few hours)

Cars that are burned, I THINK also become unavailable for a few hours. But even if they're not, it's a clear consequence of something that happened and nobody can ignore a burning car, rather than a /cim

I once had my poor Pfister's tyres slashed in the alley of the Blue Lion, so I ended up getting a ride home that night. But next day, when I sat down to play? Yeah, no, I off-screened having it towed and repaired and just /fixveh'd the car. But for the entire night, it was there for anyone to try stealing it

• Upvote 1
  • Applaud 1