Getting into to cars without lockpick?

2 hours ago, Timzii said:

Is the /breakwindow gonna have a minigame like the lockpicking has? Or would it be straight into unlocking the car? If so, it seems very powerful and a little unfair to everyone who leaves their vehicles parked. 

In agreement here, unless you have an item that can physically break the glass easy. They it shouldn’t be that easy to break in otherwise you’d have people v parking everywhere they go which for me is immersion breaking. 

• Upvote 1
11 hours ago, Akio said:

In agreement here, unless you have an item that can physically break the glass easy. They it shouldn’t be that easy to break in otherwise you’d have people v parking everywhere they go which for me is immersion breaking. 

I think players already /vp ing their cars whenever they can all the time XD

But someone suggested to use a check. If the chara have a hammer or something, they'll be able to use the command. I think that's a good idea. The alarm will go off instantly. It's pretty balanced in my opinion.

I think the idea of /vbreakwindow can have some potential, but needs to have some level of control over it.

For exampe, /breakwindow could have a percentage chance of success. On newer cars, or high-end ones that usually have better windows, the chance for /vbreakwindow to succeed would be far lower (10% - 15%) than for old / cheap cars. if you do the command and fail, the alarm will still trigger and you won't be able to get into it.

Also, in order to be able to use the /vbreakwindow command you could need to have a heavy or a hard object equipped, like a hammer, crowbar, etc. (Realistically, very few people can smash a car window with their fists).

In addition to that, the limited number / day of uses that someone already proposed here is great.

A system done like that could give the opportunity for RP and could also have a level of control over the action, so it won't get abused.

TL:DR:

/vbreakwindow but with a chance of success. Successful or not, alarm gets triggered. Can only be done with a bat/wrench/hammer/crowbar equipped. Limited number of uses / 24h.

• Applaud 1
  • Peat changed the title to Getting into to cars without lockpick?

This is a great idea. Having a command like /vbreakwindow would be extremely useful in a good chunk of RP situations.

Now I have a pet peeve with GTA World's suggestions, it's the demand for admins to supervise the RP these kinds of situations which is highly unnecessary in my opinion. We're already able to kill other characters without admin supervision. We should, as a playerbase, be considered capable of having our characters break a window without needing an admin watching us to do so. If admins believe they need to watch us because we're potential rule-breakers, they will. We don't need to request them to do so.

Essentially, requesting an admin to supervise you breaking into a simple window is going to eliminate every single RP scenario possible that require you to do things quickly, as response delays are understandable, but inevitable. Here's a hypothetical scenario where you're being chased: You run from your pursuers and see a car. It's locked BUT! The engine is running. What do you do? Well, you break the window, go in, drive off, right?

Nope. You can't. You can't stall RP to allow for admins to respond to your request, hell if you stop to RP they're going to catch up. And you can't halt the RP yourself for a scene. You're IC and you're remaining IC. Too bad, they caught up now and your ass is getting beat/put in jail if the pursuers were cops.

That's how you absolutely ruin an otherwise good feature. This is nothing against the admins themselves, but I'm sure even they can agree that not everything needs to be supervised, even if the intentions are good, it'll render the feature unpractical.

Huge +1, but -1 if it requires administrative supervision.

Edited by Mistery14

If there's a command like this where you can do it without a lockpick, there should be like.. waaaaay more risk involved. Like, failed attempts, alarms go off without fail. Potentially cutting yourself. Just something that will mean, people might think twice before going the easy route.

• Upvote 1
  • Developer
On 12/15/2023 at 4:22 AM, Peat said:

Context: Today I was doing some investigative RP on one of my characters. The person I was looking into left their car abandoned so I was going to roleplay breaking into it by smashing the window and simply opening the door from inside.  

Administrators pretty much outright said I can't roleplay and I must use the script lockpick. 
The defining factor being the issue that admins can't trigger car alarms, only a lockpick can. 

How I am being told I can't roleplay on a roleplay server is beyond me but that's for another thread. The script is the script and that's how it is, hence I suggest a change to make things more realistic and allow us to roleplay on this roleplay server.

Suggestion: Create a command that allows administrators to trigger a car alarm. This way people can break into a car using roleplay on the roleplay server, rather than just relying on a single item and it's script.

Once the RP is complete admins can simply unlock the vehicle and if there is any alarm in the /vstats they can trigger an alarm.

Benefits: People will be able to roleplay realistic actions on a roleplay server.

Drawbacks: Admins will have more to do.

EDIT: Didn't mention it but I'd assume it best that we request an admin to spectate our RP to ensure our efforts would be sufficient in gaining entry to the vehicle to avoid PG instances. 

The reality is cars are a lot easier to access and with a wider variety of tools. Spark plugs can take out a window, rocks, hammers. Allow the player to dictate the RP not the script. It'll make for a much more enjoyable experience when people can be creative as that is the basis of RP. Creating a narrative. 

EDIT 2: This idea from Invictus is much simpler and requires less work from development. If my idea is too much work something like this would for sure suffice.

Will forward this for discussion.

On 12/16/2023 at 3:27 PM, Invictus said:

/breakwindow

auto trigger alarm if it has one.

ggwp

(limit the usage to 1-2 per day to prevent abuse)

I suggested this a long time ago when we barely had any cars to choose from. since then we've gotten maybe over 100 new cars. good luck convincing devs to make a list of old cars vs new cars models.

If we were to integrate something similar to such a system, when would the vehicle alarm be triggered?

• Upvote 2