Landlords - What do you want to see/be included?

Selena

As per the community meeting, we're liaising with other subteams to gather their thoughts and opinions on the landlord scheme and what those subteams would like to see, now I come to players to ask what would you like to have included in the landlords scheme?

I do not have answers to questions yet, I would just like to involve you in the development of the scheme, please let me know of any ideas!

• Upvote 2

Some quality of life stuff that IMO would make the system easy to use right off the bat:

• A UI panel, like /pmanager. It'd make things easier to keep track of who's renting which room/apartment/whathaveyou and when they last logged on if it's in one place.
  • A toggle switch for letting tenants furnish their own rooms while the shell stays intact.
  • Maybe looking at allowing landlords to save shells/apartment templates and restore them once a tenant moves out.
  • A separate script would be beneficial, but not necessary. Personally I like going around and harassing my tenants for rent, but I imagine there would be other landlords who'd want to set up a bank account for this. Sure, a blank script would also work for this.
  • Mailbox system! We already got postal deliveries, why not take it a step further and be able to leave notes for tenants? Bills, reminders to pay rent, eviction notice.
  • No doubt there'll be real estate companies ran by multiple people. Give them the ability so that every employee can hand out keys to apartments in the previously mentioned landlord manager UI/business script.
  • Let's say the building a landlord has is a complex with a lobby. The apartment keys could automatically open the lobby or the script could automatically grant a key to the lobby itself. Similarly, if the complex has a garage, tenants should automatically get a key to the garage as well.
  • One of the things I've noticed tenants and landlords struggle with was subletting. Let's say your tenant wants to move in with their partner, spouse, wants to allow a friend to crash on the couch for a while. Would be nice if the landlord could enable the individual rooms' primary tenants to hand out a maximum of 2 keys.

I might end up adding to this if I come up with ideas.

• Upvote 14

Agreed with some of the above.

• A management panel would be ideal just as Rhelli said. Also the ability to possibly have supervisors, similar to /bmanager, that allow others to pass out keys. Not being available 24/7 during someone's specific play hours while they look for an apartment is one of the most frequent complaints I get.
  • The structure system already exists but, if there were a way to easier utilize that for existing mapped properties would be nice.
  • The ability to maybe more freely utilize the XML import / exporting for those properties only? For apartment blocks, importing mapping to each requires manual PM help now, or on the UCP importing XMLs yourself means it would cost thousands of world points as-is. My complex had one apartment far better mapped than the others which were outdated, yet I wasn't able to clone that interior to the others without PM assistance or spending a lot of real money.
  • Some kind of pinboard system. I wanted an IC channel in Discord to do this but was told to use CIMs instead, but these require refreshing or even with permanent CIMs, require an admin to help edit them. If you were able to designate a message board similar to /showmenu for businesses could work.
  • The ability to set rent reminder through /notifications, similar to their alarm costs, leases or vehicle insurance. As of right now, chasing up each individual person manually can be painstaking.
  • Since we want landlords to provide RP and not just farm script money through owning complexes, I think some kind of required maintenance could both ensure RP is being done by the landlord, and prevent people from owning too much property. IC channels and CIMs are already used to roleplay flooding, power outages and such, so I think making these kinds of things integrated would be cool.
  • Upvote 4
10 minutes ago, violeNt said:

Agreed with some of the above.

• Some kind of pinboard system. I wanted an IC channel in Discord to do this but was told to use CIMs instead, but these require refreshing or even with permanent CIMs, require an admin to help edit them. If you were able to designate a message board similar to /showmenu for businesses could work.
  • The ability to set rent reminder through /notifications, similar to their alarm costs, leases or vehicle insurance. As of right now, chasing up each individual person manually can be painstaking.
  • Since we want landlords to provide RP and not just farm script money through owning complexes, I think some kind of required maintenance could both ensure RP is being done by the landlord, and prevent people from owning too much property. IC channels and CIMs are already used to roleplay flooding, power outages and such, so I think making these kinds of things integrated would be cool.

Piggybacking off of these ideas:

• Pinboard system would be really cool. Could have a /pinboard command inside the lobbies, or a new item you can interact with, which showcases multiple images and notes you could view is one way to go about it.
  • /notifications could easily tie in with the mailbox system.
  • Oh, yes, absolutely! This could also bring a new business type to the game. We already got construction companies working on various projects, so why not give them a bit of script support as well? We had one of the tenants set up a maintenance company to handle repairs in-house. Right now, as it stands, everyone could pretty much repair them and claim it's been fixed appropriately but plumbing, heating, electricals and such are a separate profession. If complexes do need maintenance, might as well provide the existing companies with the exclusivity of providing repairs.
  • Upvote 2

I applied to be a landlord for businesses years ago to act as a soft IC version of PM, meaning I was very, very active at the time and we were locally tired of seeing businesses be abandoned and we wanted to control and measure activity around parts of K-Town without having to lose these places to PM limbo for months (and IC it was also a money laundering scheme for RP) since small businesses are the meeting point of gang and civie life. This was not something PM was considering at the time and I was denied but I think there's some value to the idea.

I'd just like a system through which we can gain a modicum of this sort of control over a small area by dedicated people to rent out businesses that they can kick people out of if they don't meet activity requirements. It kills block RP to not have a sort of sense of unity and general buzz and activity where people are held accountable in keeping the business open, especially RP niche corner shop type businesses.

Now of course this isn't doable in a general scale, but I'd like to see people who have in-game business experience use it to promote local characters that want to be active by renting out these properties and police it a bit. But for this to work you have to make sure there's a clear system to flag any landlord that's just not active and impeding the system from working.

Edited by Koko
  • Upvote 1

I think one of my questions is that, if someone applies for the landlord schemes would the outcome be them owning an entire complex? Or would they also have ability to own apartments in different complexes? I'm asking this because both would be very different options, compared to each other.

Since creation, I have roleplayed on one of my characters as being involved in Real Estate / Landlording. Unfortunately the mix between the two, is a cause of the current script not allowing me to fully separate them. The potential tenants that come in for viewings, automatically act like I am the landlord, even when I present my character to be just the letting agent. I also had to ask IC friends and partners to buy properties, for me to administrate, so I can have a decent property portfolio for my character. What I mean is, I am not able to act fully as a real estate agent for example, because when you do not own a property and you're only a script-wise spare key holder, you can not script-wise give it further to a player either. Because of this, it would also be great to separate script Property spare keys (which you could give to anyone that you want to have access to a property - let's say your romantic partner, your relatives) from Tenants key (given only under a rental contract). 

Another (maybe a bit extra) suggestion would be that, if there's a shared accommodation property with multiple tenants under one roof, it would be great to have the possibility to give tenants door key to their own room. This would reduce the risk of getting tenants mix the access in each other's rooms and have their things stolen and this scenario could also fall under the Break-in rule where such thing should be supervised by an admin, to make it efficient. We could be able to select the door with the same "click mode" from the furniture system, and select/offer the key access to a specific player. You wouldn't believe the amount of potential tenants that come in for viewings (probably unaware of the entire script features) and ask me what sort of security locks and systems I offer them, so other tenants can not break in their room. I currently roleplay offering "Key cards" to them, and the shared accommodation property has card readers on the wall near the door, on door latch-level, AND IT'S STILL NOT ENOUGH.

I would also suggest for shared properties with multiple tenants - some sort of "Room inventory" also - self explanatory, as mentioned above, where tenants can access the inventory of their own room (more like on "their own door" type of situation). I do not have a whole clear system in mind for it however, maybe someone more creative could come to help here. I picture it as a /pinv menu, but accessible from their door only.

I agree with all Rhelli's suggestions as she seems like she fully reflects in them the current struggle of the current script.

• Upvote 1
  • Applaud 1

I think someone said it but a system so people get /notifications when they have to renew the rent.

Maybe something to automate payments to renew the rent, let's be real, irl you don't pay it manually unless you want to, I can let my bank do that for me.

• Upvote 1