Characters should have more abilities to directly and quickly influence government and hold LEO's accountable.

soudiere

Should players have more abilities to directly interact with government with faster results?  

183 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Speaking from personal experience, the reason why you won't see as many cops patrolling the 'quieter' areas as one would like is because we always get pulled to the 'loud' areas. I can't just ignore a panic button that goes off on Grove Street, a shots fired call in Morningwood or an assault in Little Seoul. This even happened last night, I was helping investigate a robbery at a restaurant when a panic alarm went off and I had to prioritize that call because it was 'emergent' and life threatening, while the robbery investigation wasn't. I wasn't happy about it, I'd rather talk to witnesses and gather evidence than risk getting involved in a bootleg Gears of War TDM match, but what are we supposed to do? Ignore genuinely serious calls?

As for police conduct, cops carry themselves on the server the way they do for the same reason gangsters carry themselves as they do. We're playing characters, and people who RP LEO characters are going to take inspiration from media. Die Hard, Lethal Weapon, Law and Order, blah blah blah. They aren't going to act like actual cops, the same way the average gangbanger isn't going to flinch at magdumping the opps despite most affiliates being far more conservative about who they kill.

Honestly, it's a problem with no solution. It's a hyperviolent server, you're going to get hyperviolent characters. Especially if we're talking about members from two Law Enforcement Agencies who see dozens of bodies daily. People are going to treat Los Santos more like 2004 Baghdad than Los Angeles, and Cops are going to act more like Infantrymen then... cops.

• Upvote 1

As a cop and K9 (a particularly frowned upon sub-section of the whole LEO space these days), I opt to turn a blind eye here and there for the sake of everyone's fun. Realistic? No. Would I rather punish someone for being unlucky (a.k.a. reckless in most cases)... Or pretend I didn't see that person quit the lockpicking minigame out the corner of my eye and instead approach them for a casual chat?

Wouldn't cost me a thing to get the cuffs out but I'm playing with them, not against them. I find that approach way more entertaining and I'm sure many (if not most) of the people in situations like these feel the same way. That objectively makes me a terrible cop. Would you rather have it the other way? Well. There are plenty of cops who'd do it. Can you blame them for it? Each has its own playstyle, and activities they find fun.

I know in many cases the players I'm up 'against' wouldn't react the way I do. Tough luck, I guess. I'll just go back to being treated like a liability or someone to stray away from.

P.S.: Give cops a chance, not everyone is like me but you might be surprised at just how many of us wanna have fun with you. Just don't commit serious offenses in front of badges. There's only so much we can overlook before it becomes an abuse of corruption perms and we're forced to act. 

Back on topic though, it may be slow to hold cops accountable simply because you're reaching over to very niche positions that even most of the players in them don't even find all that engaging. Not only that, but generally speaking those people understand that being a cop in this server can get tricky at times (department manual, penal code, case laws, that's all sweet and dandy but then there are changes to the bail system, now you can't arrest here, now you have to do this, now that... coming every other week), and are willing to forgive certain things depending on the circumstances.

I can't speak for excessive searches myself... But let me tell you that most of the things people complain about escape our control and we just have to follow policy.

Having six cruisers in a pursuit line over a petty offense? Chances are at least one is gonna end up crashing, and in turn another one pulling out of the pursuit line to go check on that officer. Now you're down to the (at least by PD's book) four ideal units in line. Maybe that doesn't happen but we just can't get the car to stop. Some of the cruisers in line would eventually peel off and go try other ways of stopping the pursued vehicle.

It's been said already. You can drive past a mugging and not even realize it because you see people standing and, quite literally, have no legal grounds to stop that nor a reason to even ask what's going on. It'd be annoying to patrol for, say, three hours and be stopping... calling that stop in on your radio... checking on the group only for them to actually be friends talking and nothing else, then back to the shop, update your radio again and repeat in two minutes.

And please... Try some more mundane calls. I daresay most LEOs would rather respond to a couple arguing at home or a hobo bothering a business owner than yet another "found a body here, looks dead" or "I heard shots".

Edited by Amellis
  • Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Applaud 1
On 9/23/2023 at 11:30 AM, soudiere said:

Now, I get that LEO RP'ers may not want to have to patrol areas they do not want to, but in the same way that it's expected of illegal RP'ers to deal with the consequences of their character's actions in the form of jail and not constantly be shooting opps and committing crimes, and that it's expected for legal RP'ers to not act like a hot-headed gangbanger when slighted because they have a PF and act like an actual law-abiding citizen, it should similarly be expected that LEO RP'ers have to deal with the consequences of being a cop. Most notably, you're not constantly going to be having action.

Forcing rules that restrict RP should never be tried before at least trying to open channels for characters to respond to issues IC'ly.

Bold claim, especially when most people namechange their way out of dealing with the consequences of their own actions when they get the chance to. 

Hell, with the massive influx of aimbot hacks flooding the server,  it surely hasn't gotten any better to boot.

If you want the police to actually roleplay the consequences of the current crime statistics and general state of pandemonium going on? You'd see every single officer in full gear, supplemented by the national guard. 

I'll pull the numbers up again I posted in the last passive-agressive LEO-bash thread.

Someone in the LSPD did some data analysis on the call volume, for the period of  00:00 01/AUG/2023 - 13:27 14/AUG/2023. So a 2 week period.

In those 2 weeks?  1,467 emergency calls were made.

On average, that's just over 100 calls made to 911 Daily.. And these are specifically calls aimed towards the LSPD & the LSSD, we're not county the LSFD here.

On average, that's about 1 emergency call every thirteen minutes

On average, during peak. The numbers of the LSPD range from 20-35-40 during peak times, the numbers for the LSSD the same, but slightly lower. Estimate around 20-30 from what I've seen on their side.

Know that for a properly roleplayed scenario, expact atleast a good 30 minutes, sometimes even more. Know that every dynamic situation (That's every pursuit, every ongoing emergency) has anywhere from 6-10 people in it, sometimes even more.

Fact of the matter is, if people would rather pay money, real life money, to be able to namechange when they want to, CK when they want to, and even go to such extremes as aimbotting just to win. And those are the same people yelling that leo's are all play-to-win. Funny how it goes. 

Expecting LEO's to "Face the consequences" of what's going on, is absurd without enforcing it across the line for everyone. And you just can't do that in the constraints of the game. Not as long as people can sit out their jail times offline, or can worm their way out of the consequences of their own actions a dozen different ways. 

Edited by Kenshi
5 minutes ago, Kenshi said:

Bold claim, especially when most people namechange their way out of dealing with the consequences of their own actions when they get the chance to. 

Hell, with the massive influx of aimbot hacks flooding the server,  it surely hasn't gotten any better to boot.

If you want the police to actually roleplay the consequences of the current crime statistics and general state of pandemonium going on? You'd see every single officer in full gear, supplemented by the national guard. 

I'll pull the numbers up again I posted in the last passive-agressive LEO-bash thread.

Fact of the matter is, if people would rather pay money, real life money, to be able to namechange when they want to, CK when they want to, and even go to such extremes as aimbotting just to win. And those are the same people yelling that leo's are all play-to-win. Funny how it goes. 

Expecting LEO's to "Face the consequences" of what's going on, is absurd without enforcing it across the line for everyone. And you just can't do that in the constraints of the game. Not as long as people can sit out their jail times offline, or can worm their way out of the consequences of their own actions a dozen different ways. 

Well on one server I saw one cop mowing down 5 gangsters on their own. Not, that there weren't other cops. But they way they moved, pop pop in one direction, car to car cover pop pop second one, cover to cover back and forth, pop pop again. Before we knew it, it was over.

8 hours ago, Amellis said:

That objectively makes me a terrible cop. Would you rather have it the other way? Well. There are plenty of cops who'd do it. Can you blame them for it? Each has its own playstyle, and activities they find fun.

Got corruption perms in FD just to get to hang out around gangbangers without snitching, shoutout to being terrible at your job but also just wanting to live a regular life.

• Upvote 2
12 hours ago, Engelbert said:

Well on one server I saw one cop mowing down 5 gangsters on their own. Not, that there weren't other cops. But they way they moved, pop pop in one direction, car to car cover pop pop second one, cover to cover back and forth, pop pop again. Before we knew it, it was over.

When they let NPC gangsters onto the server...

• Upvote 1
15 hours ago, Amellis said:

P.S.: Give cops a chance, not everyone is like me but you might be surprised at just how many of us wanna have fun with you. Just don't commit serious offenses in front of badges. There's only so much we can overlook before it becomes an abuse of corruption perms and we're forced to act. 

Preach. If I had a dollar for every time I cut someone loose because all they did was a misdemeanor I'd be able to get myself a night in one of those fancy Wagyu beef buffets.

But this does go back to the whole accountability thing, by doing this we are mostly wiping our ass with both IC policy and laws. We're allowed to to a degree, but I wouldn't be surprised if officers got caught on tape letting a pickpocket walk then it'd cause all hell to break loose. But it's more fun that way, and if we had IC means to better monitor police miscounduct (Like bodycams) then the average server LEO would have to pucker their asshole and become the most Robo of Cops just so they don't get their character fired (Or OOC removed from the faction).

Some people want us to enforce the law. Some people want us to go easier on people. Some people thing we don't care enough about non-violent crimes. Some people think we care too much about violent crimes.

It's a catch-22. I like trying to RP a good natured Deputy who tries to be a good guy, but with the reality of how things are on the ground, my character can only handle nearly getting his off switch flicked so many times until he goes into 'Fuck you, fuck your dead homies, fuck your entire block' mode.

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, Barbary said:

Some people want us to enforce the law. Some people want us to go easier on people. Some people thing we don't care enough about non-violent crimes. Some people think we care too much about violent crimes.

It's a catch-22. I like trying to RP a good natured Deputy who tries to be a good guy, but with the reality of how things are on the ground, my character can only handle nearly getting his off switch flicked so many times until he goes into 'Fuck you, fuck your dead homies, fuck your entire block' mode.

Preach.