Aren't the changes in the robbery rules questionable?

barrio ruler
Message added by Gore,

Constant toxicity in this thread. Will be handing punishments to whoever chooses to continue.

On 9/26/2023 at 11:24 AM, soudiere said:

Alright, then by this logic, let's completely restrict the ability for P.D. to be insert criminals into jail for any OOC period of time and treat it completely as an I.C. manner if they don't want to. Furthermore, let's remove K-9 sniffing dogs, let's remove the seizure of script items that are illegal IC'ly from criminals when searched or detained and let's get rid of CK's.

All of these interactions are, in your words, a nullsum game roleplay-wise, as your character has no agency in the matter, the roleplay in the case of seizures and K-9 sniffing dogs has a ton of parallels to mugging RP for the criminal, jail is often uninteresting and boring to those who don't care for the roleplay in it and CK's completely terminate the ability to roleplay as a character. You also, as you put it, lose engine value, as you either lose script items that are highly valuable, are unable to engage in certain roleplay you'd like to for being put in jail for a certain amount of OOC time and so forth.

Now you could just say, well if you don't like the time, then don't do the crime, but I could similarly tell people who complain about robbing to just not step outside. It's a completely stupid argument to restrict your roleplay completely because you don't want certain consequences.

The idea that all roleplay has to be symmetrical for it to be entertaining, good or a potential gateway for further character development is dumb as hell, frankly. The grand majority of illegal RP'ers contend with asymmetrical roleplay that inherently punishes a character, but we still engage with it, and we don't throw up such a massive fuss that it gets a rule change.

The whole paragraph is negated by the simple fact that you chose to engage in illegal activities and therefore face the risk of "forced upon roleplay". More often than not you are rewarded monetarily for that risk or you simply have access to the more fun parts of roleplay. Drive-bys are also asymmetrical but they are among parties who agreed to roleplay in this scenario. Drug deals and scams are among parties who agreed. Even cops and robbers agree to a certain extend that they both dance around the laws given. 

Robberies are unique in that the victim did not agree to participate in the illegal sector or in other words did nothing to deserve a risk of asymmetrical roleplay that then also punishes them. "Dont go outside" is not the same as "don't get caught doing illegal shit". And even then robberies are not prohibited, they are regulated to make sure that the risk / reward ratio reflects the needs of the balance first and only the need for realism afterwards. 

It's like with scams in the car and property sector - prohibited. It's needed for balance and that need overrules some individuals desire to roleplay this.

The need to keep robberies balanced outweighs your individualistic desire to roleplay a robber. 

Edited by Coni
  • Upvote 5

why are u fuckers ignoring my suggestion.

i give suggestion, u ignore. how about u fuckers do something productive and suggest something instead of bitching eh?

im really getting frustrated here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! its not the worst suggestion

On 9/26/2023 at 10:37 AM, frost. said:

well, well, well...

let me give my two cents, maybe a little bit of balance (if that's possible) to our current system, eh?

so, we should allow vehicle robberies for factions and not solo roleplayers / groups that aren't under a faction.

since a lot of legal players hate robberies, it should only be allowed to factions that have been open for X amount of times. there's no reason why a faction such as deckerside or terrortown or longos should not be allowed to perform robberies, two of these factions are official and one of these factions are unofficial with a lot of pages.

there should be a limit on how many times you can rob with a vehicle (possibly enforced with a command that keeps track for the faction, showing how many robberies you have left), this still means you'd have to park somewhere that's not near the individuals you are robbing.

idk bro just a lil draft

idk bro just some food for thought

amend this how u want

23 hours ago, frost. said:

it should be up to the faction leader whether or not they can rob, they should ask for perms. yes, this is micro managing at it's finest, but it's better than not being able to rob with a vehicle involved.

if that player/group then fucks up, someone can step in and ask "hey, what went wrong here? you gave this guy perms and it turns out he's someone with 2 brain cells and cant follow the rules!"

food 4 thoughts tho

Edited by frost.
  • 1 month later...

It somewhat makes sense, why you are robbing people of their petty cash and a simple phone if you can afford to buy a car and pay for its insurance and gas?

This rule was put forth because people would just drive around until they saw a potential victim, rob them and just drive off, which is roleplay, sure, but it's in somewhat poor taste. 

There are unlimited other options when it comes to robbing or taking what is not yours, home invasions, business burglaries and actually planning out to do your robbery on a specific victim instead of just choosing a random pedestrian to steal from. If you can afford everything, like a car, a gun, gas ammo and insurance or registration, it makes no sense for you to be taking pocket change from people.

2 hours ago, Wesson said:

It somewhat makes sense, why you are robbing people of their petty cash and a simple phone if you can afford to buy a car and pay for its insurance and gas?

This rule was put forth because people would just drive around until they saw a potential victim, rob them and just drive off, which is roleplay, sure, but it's in somewhat poor taste. 

There are unlimited other options when it comes to robbing or taking what is not yours, home invasions, business burglaries and actually planning out to do your robbery on a specific victim instead of just choosing a random pedestrian to steal from. If you can afford everything, like a car, a gun, gas ammo and insurance or registration, it makes no sense for you to be taking pocket change from people.

Why do some of y’all act like these type of robberies don’t happen? Not all robberies has to be some planned robbery. I don’t agree with this take at all, I seen great roleplayers whos characters are about 18-20 and their character been in the street life for a while and they still do those kinds of robberies here and there. This STILL happens. Most of the time you'll actually earn more from some regular unplanned mugging than you would earn from a planned home invasion. I found many good items before by going out and robbing others.

You say that people were hopping out and robbing others which wasn't the case here. People were driving to other locations to rob others on foot because they don't wanna rob in their own residential area.

31 minutes ago, barrio ruler said:

Why do some of y’all act like these type of robberies don’t happen? Not all robberies has to be some planned robbery. I don’t agree with this take at all, I seen great roleplayers whos characters are about 18-20 and their character been in the street life for a while and they still do those kinds of robberies here and there. This STILL happens. Most of the time you'll actually earn more from some regular unplanned mugging than you would earn from a planned home invasion. I found many good items before by going out and robbing others.

You say that people were hopping out and robbing others which wasn't the case here. People were driving to other locations to rob others on foot because they don't wanna rob in their own residential area.

No one is saying that it doesn't happen, people shooting at cops over nothing is a daily, almost an hourly occurance, but for the sake of this being a video game, there are rules put in place for it to not happen or, if it does happen, it gets voided. 

12 minutes ago, Wesson said:

No one is saying that it doesn't happen, people shooting at cops over nothing is a daily, almost an hourly occurance, but for the sake of this being a video game, there are rules put in place for it to not happen or, if it does happen, it gets voided. 

I just find it crazy that these robbery rules have so much restrictions and some of these people are rambling on about how they keep getting robbed. It's really NOT that hard to avoid getting robbed. 

17 minutes ago, barrio ruler said:

I just find it crazy that these robbery rules have so much restrictions and some of these people are rambling on about how they keep getting robbed. It's really NOT that hard to avoid getting robbed. 

Pretty much can't hang out by yourself anywhere because you'll be robbed by a group of four people sadly, even in reduced crime areas, shouldn't be the case. I receive at least 10 CCW applications a week about people claiming that they were victims of a robbery and that is why they're mainly looking for a carry conceal weapon license, the ratio of people getting robbed in game is insanely high.

Rules are by product of people not knowing how to behave properly. So I'm sure staff had enough of people doing subpar robberies and added the rule. 

Honestly they could remove the rule for about week and then show what massive jump in the usage of /rob command happened with the rule gone OR if there was no effect with the rule gone, keep it gone, but I highly doubt that will be the case. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Upvote 1

The rules are there for a reason and they still get broken. If you ever wonder why people aren't outside (except in the hood) and the city feels dead, this is why. Everybody inside. I don't blame the server for trying to reverse it and make things look lively.

3 hours ago, Wesson said:

Pretty much can't hang out by yourself anywhere because you'll be robbed by a group of four people sadly, even in reduced crime areas, shouldn't be the case. I receive at least 10 CCW applications a week about people claiming that they were victims of a robbery and that is why they're mainly looking for a carry conceal weapon license, the ratio of people getting robbed in game is insanely high.

The funny part is they're still going to get robbed and lose that CCW gun to a 4-man from some local gang. 

My new character gets robbed every few weeks because I'm intentionally a dumbass and like to hang around outside. Just don't carry anything expensive.

Edited by 𝔱𝔬𝔵𝔦𝔠𝔞
  • Upvote 1