[TECH] Looking for support as I experience fps drop/stutter over time.

Stimo

Hey, thanks all for offering your ideas but I believe I may have fixed it.
I came across a fix late last night and thought I'd try it out.. I've done one test so far and it seems to have fixed my issue.

The fix was turning my mouse polling rate down from 1000Hz to 250Hz.. Right? Weird. I think the addition of the new GPU may be working the CPU more than it used to so when the mouse wanted to speak to the CPU, it couldn't grab whatever it needed.. 

Now I've only tested it once and lasted just over an hour so I'll do some more testing, but that change helped a lot!

• Upvote 4

I've come to join the discussion on this issue. After prolonged periods, I begin to get frame stutters/freezes when moving the mouse if I've used alt+tab at all. It doesn't happen if I look behind when in a vehicle or while moving at high speeds into new areas. There aren't any issues with rendering. I could be standing still, with F3 activated to move the mouse. The freezes will occur. Same if I've got the /ads menu open. I've tried plugging my mouse into different USB ports, I've tried lowering the game settings. I've gone from 1000Hz DPI to 250Hz. Turned off mouse settings in Windows. No matter what, it seems to occur after prolonged periods. I restart periodically but it's very...Frustrating. I can play the game for several hours. If I don't alt+tab to look at discord messages or deal with something on my second monitor, no issues. But the moment I tab out of the game for any period, the issue starts and escalates rapidly with any following alt+tab use.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I don't know if it'll turn up being the same issue as others are having, but if anyone has ideas. I'm all ears.

This issue shouldn't be for people on W11 22H2, as a polling rate fix was introduced with a silent update by Microsoft, if you use W11 make sure you are on the latest.

I am gonna try it nonetheless, cause I been suffering severe stuttering on RageMP, it's the worst of all games on my machine even FiveM runs almost flawless..

If you still got stutters, download LatencyMon and check what your system is doing in the meanwhile, it gives a lot of information in regards to latencies, also check if there's any conflicting devices in your system information, under hardware resources -> conflicts you can see whose sharing what with your GPU's bandwidth.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/12/2023 at 5:39 PM, Stimo said:

Hey, thanks all for offering your ideas but I believe I may have fixed it.
I came across a fix late last night and thought I'd try it out.. I've done one test so far and it seems to have fixed my issue.

The fix was turning my mouse polling rate down from 1000Hz to 250Hz.. Right? Weird. I think the addition of the new GPU may be working the CPU more than it used to so when the mouse wanted to speak to the CPU, it couldn't grab whatever it needed.. 

Now I've only tested it once and lasted just over an hour so I'll do some more testing, but that change helped a lot!

Just wanna say that this fixed my problem too. The frame drop issue just randomly started for me last weekend and I've been wracking my brain over what it could be. I don't really understand what the actual root of the issue though. It was absolutely fine until Saturday and then all of a sudden it starts up, driver updates happened last week & I've not updated anything else at all. For what it's worth, my rig couldn't be any more different from yours as well. Genuinely perplexed.

• Upvote 2

What I can add to this. I had those issues too, for me it was caused by two monitors with different Hz. I had to lock my main monitor to 120 Hz since the other is able to do only 60Hz and that fixed the issue for me. Not sure if it was the same kind of issue. The issue only popped up recently after driver updates for me.
So, if someone experiences it with two monitors? Maybe check on that.

• Thanks 1
  • 5 weeks later...
On 9/9/2023 at 5:50 AM, Stimo said:

Hello all, 

Firstly thank you for any help provided. Secondly please see my setup below;

oI5Rt6y.png

So basically what happens is I'll load into the game and everything will be fine, getting 120-130 FPS and then about 80-100 FPS in interiors, but after about 30mins-1hour of playing a stuttering will happen and if I swipe my mouse left to right continuously I will go down to <20 fps and it'll jump up and down. It's noticeable when walking around as well and it won't stop until I restart the game.

Any ideas? I've tried a bunch of fixes found on this forum and through Google but I can't seem to crack it.

Been at all paying attention to VRAM and RAM useage when this occurs to when not? Sounds like a memory leak or a weird latency issue with the mouse polling rate being a cause...

Edited by Poetic

So i've been having a stuttering issue, I've got a:

i7 13700KF & 3070ti, 32 GB DDR5 ram.

So how I explain mine is the game will run fine, then stutter, then come back, the stutter is only for a millisecond but its like my game freezes for .0 of a second.  My fps does not move from 130, it dips below 100. I've tried the game vanilla, I've tried the game, fresh install, I've tried the game on another drive, its currently on my boot NVME, I've tried it on lowest settings to the point it looks like San Andreas I've played it max settings, still no change, I don't feel like its my PC, because if it was changing from max settings to low settings would at least have a FPS impact in which it does due to my GPU, but the stutters would be more noticeable but no matter what I do they are just there.  Whats annoying is I notice there are players have no issues, and others that have this, clearly by seeing it now after a brief search. Any other suggestions what I can do?

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

This is definitely not a problem that can be solved just by changing video settings. If this thing with freezing only happens to you in GTA, then it's not a hardware problem. It sounds to me like there could be a firewall or antivirus problem that just catches a process of rage, usually after a few minutes. If firewall and antivirus did not solve anything, try to put your game in windowed fullscreen. Check for Windows updates and video card updates. Try to remove mods, if you have any installed.

Also, look for a notification when you start Rage MP. Firewall will usually send you a notification when there is a problem with a file.