whats the point of not breaking the rules

I mean, let's be honest with one another.

If the staff team is too lenient and gives people few chances to fix their behavior people complain because they shouldn't be given as many chances.

If the staff team is too harsh and ajails/bans people for the rules they break people will complain because it's too harsh and the "small" rule break they did is not worth such a punishment.

We have to meet in the middle. First, they will get a slap on the wrist, a warning, an ajail. Bans are applied if the situation really calls for it or the record is extremely bad.

Put yourself into perspective. You come home tired and you play the game, for some reason you slipped, you missed a rule and you broke it. You are reported in return. Do you think you deserve a straight-temp ban over that? Why would we have such an approach?

People think that being harsh is good. Well, they think that until the day where they get the other end of the stick. That day, specifically, is the one where the punishment is no longer fair and should be met with leniency.

I think we should look at this the way it is. It's a gaming community, it's a roleplaying community. We are all humans. We make mistakes. Yes, some people go over the roof and those are harshly dealt with. But should we really opt for a harsh approach? How many players do you think would be banned just the first week of implementing this view? Should we punish people for things that they can be reminded of and not repeated?

• Upvote 1
On 7/18/2023 at 8:56 AM, Naeno said:

This is a game at the end of the day. This ain’t real life, breaking a rule on this server isn’t the equivalent of breaking a law. You easily can know what’s right or wrong in the real world, it’s pretty straight forward. This game on the other hand has a bunch of rules with many of the rules themselves having further clauses within them that can get confusing. People are bound to make mistakes and fuck up. Yes, I know there plenty with perfectly clean admin records who have been playing since the very start etc, but that is not the majority. 

Ban appeals are more of a teaching type of moment than anything else really. It ain’t fun sitting there punishing some guy by not letting him play a game for 30 days just because he killed an extra person in a gang shooting when nobody lost anything (and if they did they got it back). People forget about stuff like this quickly and move on. If someone can understand on their own why they got banned and learn from that, great. If they can’t then the punishment will be increased next time. The way people act and conduct themselves goes a long way. Attitudes and toxicity are significantly more problematic than some guy breaking a clause within the robbery rules. That can be taught and amended. Attitudes/toxicity usually can’t be. 

There are also areas of roleplay on this server that are way more likely to get into situations more often in which rules become harder to figure out if they’re totally in the clear while other areas of roleplay don’t even have to worry about this type of stuff. Issuing even harsher punishments will only hinder these specific areas outright. There are plenty of great roleplayers that have what’d you consider terrible admin records solely over single incidents here and there. While on the flip side there are plenty of subpar roleplayers that have clean admin records. Which one is worse than the other isn’t as clear as you think it might be. 

Just my two cents.

Facts, facts, facts. Too bad some admins don't share your view my man, this game would be way better if they did.

6 hours ago, Acid said:

If the staff team is too lenient and gives people few chances to fix their behavior people complain because they shouldn't be given as many chances.

If the staff team is too harsh and ajails/bans people for the rules they break people will complain because it's too harsh and the "small" rule break they did is not worth such a punishment.

We have to meet in the middle. First, they will get a slap on the wrist, a warning, an ajail. Bans are applied if the situation really calls for it or the record is extremely bad.

Put yourself into perspective. You come home tired and you play the game, for some reason you slipped, you missed a rule and you broke it. You are reported in return. Do you think you deserve a straight-temp ban over that? Why would we have such an approach?

People think that being harsh is good. Well, they think that until the day where they get the other end of the stick. That day, specifically, is the one where the punishment is no longer fair and should be met with leniency.

I think we should look at this the way it is. It's a gaming community, it's a roleplaying community. We are all humans. We make mistakes. Yes, some people go over the roof and those are harshly dealt with. But should we really opt for a harsh approach? How many players do you think would be banned just the first week of implementing this view? Should we punish people for things that they can be reminded of and not repeated?

Ye it's a gaming community yet you ajailed me for 45 minutes, with a clean record and having only like 3-4 days on the server. Yet you didn't even speak to me to ask me if I am sorry or to get all the details, y'all a bunch of hypocrites. 

People should stop donating, because we get treated like shit anyway.

Edited by Afro Man
7 hours ago, Acid said:

totally this.. like I've had friends get banned for a few days or even a few months for being drunk or high rl and being silly or doing dumb stuff.. like yea probably shouldn't be logging in but people are human and do stupid stuff sometimes or just let some steam out, so I appreciate admins taking a more human approach. Also its literally science that the part of brains that are supposed to make good decisions aren't all the way there until like 25 or something.. so there's alot of literal smoothbrains here.

Alot of people want harsh because they're in their "get these f****g kids off my lawn" era, but I think people need a chance to learn from their mistakes.. then if they don't and they're perma banned eventually, there's a record of they were given every chance to learn and didn't, just like life.. the difference is whether someone has the capacity to learn, and that's something that takes time and a little patience to figure out. 

Should be renamed to "whats the point of writing player reports" since it's just waste of time seeing how staff deals with them nowadays. Punishment will be literally shorter than the amount of reporting party's time dedicated to compose a report.

• Upvote 3

Because some people actually do learn from their mistakes, admins usually give out warnings for your first offense or Ajail you, depending on what you did, unless you broke a serious rule like deathmatching and such. But overall, they give you a chance to improve before taking serious action because, as stated above, this is just a game and people make mistakes sometimes. The purpose here is to have fun roleplaying, so I don't think being stricter and taking immediate action is really necessary. Also, I don't know how ban appeal works, but I don't really think someone who just dmed a whole club full of people can just apologize in the appeal and get unbanned or a slap on the wrist. Even if they got unbanned by just apologizing, they won't be able to join almost all of the factions because of their recent admin punishment, so their experience in the server will be limited. I think this is another reason for them to learn from what they did, unless they're here to troll, and in that case, they'll get banned again eventually. I do agree on the point that they should spend some time banned before being able to post an appeal, so it's not as easy to be forgiven for breaking a rule.

14 hours ago, Afro Man said:

Ye it's a gaming community yet you ajailed me for 45 minutes, with a clean record and having only like 3-4 days on the server. Yet you didn't even speak to me to ask me if I am sorry or to get all the details, y'all a bunch of hypocrites. 

People should stop donating, because we get treated like shit anyway.

You seem to be mistaken in something. This is roleplaying community. Difference between gaming and roleplaying communities is pretty big. Roleplaying is more focused on you being your character, not your character being you. That's the first and biggest mistake some people still do. Which is why roleplaying community needs stricter rules. If you feel wronged, take it to the staff report. But if I was an admin here...I mean why is there an application when majority of people don't even read the rules properly. Again if I was an admin, phrases like I am sorry I didn't know...wouldn't go. And trust me there are admins like that. IMO instead of ban appeal, people should take a rule test. I mean just look around. People cheating on an rp server, like what for? There's nothing to gain from it. People picking up guns after their fallen, in direct presence of PD or SD like it's a CSGO match. Really?

Edited by Engelbert
On 7/19/2023 at 7:42 PM, vortus said:

I've been doing shit that blatantly breaks or loopholes the rules for weeks solely as an experiment on how easy it is to get away with being a shitter. It's very easy. I'm genuinely shocked people even get ajailed or banned at all. It's sloppiness on their behalf. I have a character I won't name reserved solely for baiting people, killing them and doing generally idiotic shit that is antithetical to the idea of heavy RP and I've yet to be even accosted by an admin. In fact, ironically, the only time in recent where I was accosted was when I misclicked Y to engine my vehicle near a corpse who accepted death mid RP with me and picked up a mask without realising on my normal character and ended up getting chewed out for "looting" LMFAO. I'm not sure there's a solution to the problem but the server often feels like a light RP server instead of heavy and that is more of an issue with the players themselves than the punishments. I very much agree with the OP, often times I feel like there's no point not breaking the rules because so, so many people do you're essentially the minority by abiding them and doing so only out of self respect for your RP standards.

If this is true, the fact that this has been ignored shows you how lax things are without some general consensus on how to deal with things here. 

3 hours ago, Wiphyz said:

If this is true, the fact that this has been ignored shows you how lax things are without some general consensus on how to deal with things here. 

I assure you, it's true. I get chewed out by admins when I'm NOT trying to break the rules, yet when I'm obviously baiting people by getting them to attack me so I can beam them they don't even report it. The other week when I was seriously rping for once someone did the same shit I was doing to others to me - blatantly powergamed and provoked me, then stomped me to death even though I didn't attack them or fight back and the handling admin of the report almost gave me a warning because I clowned their use of spamming coinflip IC to try and PG their actions over me (which honey. of IFM ruled I'm free to do). While I'm not encouraging you to go out and break the rules, you will get away with it 9 times out of 10 and then catch a 30 minute ajail because of some non issue the admin will hyperfixate on when you're genuinely attempting to behave.

Edited by vortus