Realism of [Time & Space]

Gambler

After a while and some debates, I thought I would put this up for discussion.

So in game there is approximately 9-10 miles of land in a straight line. (From the very far point in the south to the very far point on the north). That is the space we can cross in game. Now considering LS is based in real life LA, we can agree that the IRL distance is not 10 miles.  So let's take the example of LS to Sandy route, which is around 3-4 miles depending where you start. Now, to get from LA to California Desert is 110 miles.  This raises the first question. 
How do we perceive distance ICly? Should we RP sandy like it is 110 miles away or 4 miles away?

Now to the time issue. So Sandy Shores is 4 miles away IG and it takes us around 3-5 minutes to get there on decent pace with a vehicle. That is a fact that we can't escape when we play the game.  But let's assume we're obligated to RP Sandy 110 miles away.  Since the IG distance is 4 miles and the time that actually takes us to run that distance is 3 to 5 minutes, brings me to the next important question.
If you're in Sandy and have to go to LS, how do you RP it? 3 hours(max) for 110 miles? 3 to 5 minutes for 4 miles?

This is something that I've been wondering about, and people I've talked to have different opinions. I'd like to hear opinions from the masses of how you perceive time and space IG and use it to the function of realism. Please try to put concrete answers to the two bolded questions.

Edited by Gambler

yea its just puttin too much thought into it really especially cause u can drive from one end to the other in the matter of a few minutes while completely IC and talking and driving legally, it'd be kinda weird to just be like /do 3 hours later they are here or some shit, a little too much effort into smth that doesn't exactly matter because it's not LA nor  california, it's just inspired/loosely based on it. people take from irl LA and cali, yeah, but they put their own LS twists on things so that it's alright and makes a lil more sense, this isn't really one of those  situations where you should do that

1 hour ago, ????????? said:

yea its just puttin too much thought into it really especially cause u can drive from one end to the other in the matter of a few minutes while completely IC and talking and driving legally, it'd be kinda weird to just be like /do 3 hours later they are here or some shit, a little too much effort into smth that doesn't exactly matter because it's not LA nor  california, it's just inspired/loosely based on it. people take from irl LA and cali, yeah, but they put their own LS twists on things so that it's alright and makes a lil more sense, this isn't really one of those  situations where you should do that

yMkNjav.png

Lol ?

58 minutes ago, Aizawa said:

If I travel from Sandy to LS or the other way around, I always RP that I have been traveling for 1 or 2 hours.

Time is time, distance is distance. I can spend 15 minutes driving west from my house IRL and find myself out in the middle of nowhere. Sometimes that's the landscape. There's no reason to make it some weird time warp or act like its further than it is represented in the game lol.

Edited by Kestalas

It is clearly meant as a joke, or is it?! 
Time-wise: I have gotten the message from some of the higher ups, that "when you own a business" you need to be there 12 hours a day, since - that is how businesses are meant to run.So like if you own a bar - and you open it for 2 hours, that is not realistic, because bars are open more than 2 hours IRL. It is not realistic to own three businesses, because you can not divide your time IRL between them. Not taking it from the air, that has been said. 

I think it's really up to the roleplayer or group of roleplayers involved own discretion. You may roleplay it a few minutes, a few hours, or even a whole day if building a whole storyline. 

side note: reading the title I thought this'd be about one of charles dicken's books xD realism as in the literary movement haha

• Cara locked this topic