Readjust paychecks

eTaylor

Short description: Increase disposable income.

Detailed description: People should be getting disposable money with their paycheck, an amount enough to support the service economy that facilitates roleplay and boost that same economy to provide more of that roleplay. I shouldn't have to rely on a script job period. They should only be there to generate a bit of extra cash. My criminal characters are dirt poor, and I portray them as such. I have a lot of money on those accounts to serve as disposable income to facilitate roleplay and enjoy the limited service economy that exists. However those reserves deplete by simply playing, (entrance fees, fines, basic necessities). I am therefore forced to leave the roleplay and partake in limited script jobs that make no sense. None of them pay a reasonable amount except for the one heavily abused. And even that takes an entire day and is subject for change in the future, taking away even more ability to maintain that reserve resulting in more hours spend doing a script job nobody wants to do, instead of roleplaying - something people join the server for. Why should you ask players to have a regular job they had to do every day in order to keep themselves up in a roleplay game? How can you seriously suggest working hours for days in a game for a store nobody visits for literally no money? When and where am I suppose to roleplay? Players don't come home to spend what free time I have left to stand at a gas station with capped income. People are here to roleplay not to have a day job simulator, While it’s easy to scoff at the notion with legal paycheck, 500 an hour doesn’t even buy you a full pack of cigarettes.

Commands to add: N/A

Items to add: Money

How would your suggestion improve the server? Increasing disposable income for players increases and supports a service driven economy among players. You should keep sidejobs around as an avenue for people to have optional income when they need extra money, but don't make people dependent on using these jobs to roleplay. Give people disposable income that they don't have to grind for via higher paychecks, and focus on a player service economy and not a scripted RPG minigame economy. More disposable income, less grinding would increase demands for more player service jobs and more roleplay. If your economy on a roleplay server isn't supporting roleplay but instead taking people away from the roleplay. You're doing something wrong.

Additional information: People in government factions literally get hundreds and thousands of dollars every week doing nothing.

• Upvote 3
Just now, Sammux said:

because people already have too much money to go around and not enough things to spend it on, meaning everyone has top end stuff without much thought put into it

Ever questioned where the money comes from? There's a difference between earned and received money. If you spend hours working for just $4000 you'll be spending that money different as opposed to me just giving you $4000. Basic economy dictates that if you work for something it has more value to you because you put your time into it. You're not going to spend that without thinking into non-essential assets. You'll esspecially won't be considering pumping that back into the service economy, which in turn hurts the roleplay. You give people free money you give people an incentive to spend more on roleplay oriented services instead. Let me put it this way: my civilian account has 413 hours and barely any money to it. Meanwhile I'm taken away from the roleplay to play with the script and do uninteresting work that doesn't service anyone other than performing a set of tasks in order to print money. Money that has the added value of time put into it. I'm gonna keep that money for the pure essentials instead of spending it during roleplay on services other players provide, it's money printing and subsequent burning. On the other side I have my government account has 2.2 hours and already has a $210.000 despite not participating with roleplay, free disposable money just sitting there not going anywhere.

You already get $200,000 out of thin air, adding more money into the equation won't solve anything. If you're complaining about your criminal characters not having enough money -- that is the reality. It's hard being a criminal unless you excel significantly and manage to end up at the top of some sort of enterprise (drug kingpin, arms dealer, etc).

However, I do agree with the fact that the server is heavily favored (financially) towards legal roleplay. There needs to be certain adjustments put in place to cater more to the illegal side. Whether or not the solution is a larger paycheck, I don't know. There should be a slight imbalance when it comes to the difficulty of making money as a illegal or legal character, but currently legal far outweighs illegal.

Just now, KAVKAZ said:

You already get $200,000 out of thin air, adding more money into the equation won't solve anything. If you're complaining about your criminal characters not having enough money -- that is the reality. It's hard being a criminal unless you excel significantly and manage to end up at the top of some sort of enterprise (drug kingpin, arms dealer, etc).

However, I do agree with the fact that the server is heavily favored (financially) towards legal roleplay. There needs to be certain adjustments put in place to cater more to the illegal side. Whether or not the solution is a larger paycheck, I don't know. There should be a slight imbalance when it comes to the difficulty of making money as a illegal or legal character, but currently legal far outweighs illegal.

That $200,000 is fine in a concept money but it creates two types, one person that knows the money stops after x paychecks and the one's that don't. You get people who use it as I believe it was intended, for basic assets. While others use it in the service economy not realizing it's not a standard. There's an important distinction to be made between realism and roleplay. This is a roleplay server, and we're here to roleplay. The sidejobs don't facilitate that roleplay, instead the grind takes you away from it. The money you get for that grinding has a different value complex to the starter money you get. Between the supplier and the faction, the only thing money does is be printed, and subsequently be deleted. There is no incentive for me to spend money on another player for services. The money doesn't create roleplay, and as such it doesn't support the server. People see the economy separate to the roleplay, which it isn't and shouldn't. Your roleplay economy on your roleplay server should be supporting roleplay. The result of this closely controlled "realism" economy is an economy that's running behind on what's actually happening. You can't draw boxes in an economic system for people to sit in, that's impossible - that's not how economics works. It can seem perfectly right on paper, but nobody is accounting for the human variables. 

1 hour ago, eTaylor said:

My criminal characters are dirt poor, and I portray them as such. I have a lot of money on those accounts to serve as disposable income to facilitate roleplay and enjoy the limited service economy that exists. However those reserves deplete by simply playing, (entrance fees, fines, basic necessities). I am therefore forced to leave the roleplay and partake in limited script jobs that make no sense.

So you are complaining that you RP a poor character, and as you said you portray them as such, but you complain that over time you ACTUALLY get poor and can't afford stuff, hence ACTUALLY having to RP being poor, which in your mind means server should throw more cash at you?

Just now, DjoleK said:

So you are complaining that you RP a poor character, and as you said you portray them as such, but you complain that over time you ACTUALLY get poor and can't afford stuff, hence ACTUALLY having to RP being poor, which in your mind means server should throw more cash at you?

No, I'm not talking about criminal transactions because that's an entirely different pot and value system. No matter what you do on the server, your interaction with another player is a form of a transaction between two humans where value is involved. Time is and has value on a roleplay server. Time is a limited resource, and that resources varies between people. The human variable. Roleplay costs time, grinding does too. They're not the same however, grinding isolates you from roleplay. Adjusting the basic income in theory increases the independence off the grind, free time for the roleplay we're actually suppose to be doing, and support the service and roleplay economy - the only economy that really matters. It's not about being given free cash, but disposable income relative to the actual economy that exists in-game. An economy oriented towards roleplay, and the facilitation thereof. 

11 minutes ago, eTaylor said:

That $200,000 is fine in a concept money but it creates two types, one person that knows the money stops after x paychecks and the one's that don't. You get people who use it as I believe it was intended, for basic assets. While others use it in the service economy not realizing it's not a standard. There's an important distinction to be made between realism and roleplay. This is a roleplay server, and we're here to roleplay. The sidejobs don't facilitate that roleplay, instead the grind takes you away from it. The money you get for that grinding has a different value complex to the starter money you get. Between the supplier and the faction, the only thing money does is be printed, and subsequently be deleted. There is no incentive for me to spend money on another player for services. The money doesn't create roleplay, and as such it doesn't support the server. People see the economy separate to the roleplay, which it isn't and shouldn't. Your roleplay economy on your roleplay server should be supporting roleplay. The result of this closely controlled "realism" economy is an economy that's running behind on what's actually happening. You can't draw boxes in an economic system for people to sit in, that's impossible - that's not how economics works. It can seem perfectly right on paper, but nobody is accounting for the human variables. 

The grind doesn't necessarily take you away from roleplay. Maybe not the kind of roleplay you'd prefer to be doing but the grind does offer a lot of roleplay. For example, being a cashier in a shop demands that you actively roleplay with customers. Jobs such as trucker allow players to establish businesses that are based on these jobs. They are free to hire their own team of management, staff members, employees and even shareholders. This in turn results in a domino effect creating further roleplay scenarios for other people connected to the chain.