Lower the reach of /low

8 minutes ago, FatCatTuxedo said:

Making /low line of sight is very complex but I can attempt it

Hurray awesome!, if it ends up fkin shit can we either lower /low or even add a new speech type as someone suggested above?

Another thing that could help for properties a property toggle that makes all speech lower range, for instance in interiors with loud music I kinda feel /s should have the range of /low or normal talk or something. People often "shout over the music" in bars and clubs, but weird for the instances where you just don't want to hear everything from the next room (hence the toggle)

32 minutes ago, knppel said:

Not convinced:

Chat ranges are imho a typical case of "Don't fix what isn't broken".

We had a few experiments on red dead this winter with chat ranges being altered up and down, and one of the test results was that a too low /low range can make it pointless to even adress nearby friends with it unless theyre hugging you, not to mention the ability for others to listen in.

In comparison to this gtaw's /low range is fairly generous indeed, but I'd strongly recommend against shortening it much- while at the same time I'd argue the few inches we could talk about will barely be noticable ingame.

I understand your position, where you came from, but I think we can easily find a middle ground. The /low literally means "to speak low", so it should be scripted accordingly. It's not normal to have to role play in /w because you know that the range of /low is too big. 

The good thing about this suggestion is the interaction with the objects influencing the range. I think we can find a middle ground between now and the proposal for normal /low, and integrate the interaction with objects (via name tag) 

blue is the /low right now, red is how it should be:

image.png

the range of /low right now

image.png

I think we can all agree it’s far from being perfect. 

Edited by Lena

If halved you couldn't even sit on each sides of the tables and use it.

You need to understand lowering it to a degree where it's useless would in return force people to use normal chat to communicate with anyone not standing next to them, effectively clustering the chat more, not less.

Don't fix what isn't broken.

1 hour ago, Lena said:

I just want to add that the idea of a listening field of the /low reduced by an additional 50% if behind an object or a wall is brilliant. 

Maybe even add a character randomization feature that changes the text, for example if the person is behind a wall, send "Hell woh ae you?" instead of "hello how are you?", to simulate the difficulty of understanding if ever heard while being on the other side of the object the person is talking behind. 

I don't know about unscrambling the words but I'm all in for listening field

2 hours ago, mj2002 said:

It could be slightly reduced, but 50% seems too much. If it's 5 meters (map units) now, then let's try 4 instead.

They might or might not have made these screenshots after I screamed to put a table and look how it works out when sitting on either end of it in theory.

I too said 80% of the current reach is the absolute maximum (in reduction) that still will work for the intended purpose of the /l chat.

1 hour ago, thelostart22 said:

+1 I think a middle ground can be found and drastically improve the experience in crowded places by lowering the reach of /low a tad bit.

The problem with middle ground is that the less useful to communicate /low is made (by reducing its ratio), the more people will have to resort to speak normally anyway so the whole point is in vainif it's reduced so far that it actually prevents others from hearing it.

@FatCatTuxedo needless to point out you got that right, and line of sight is a totally different matter than natural range of the chat modes. If you manage to do that right with walls and ceilings (which is what the suggesting party worries about too) - chapeau