Robbery rule.

Just now, barrio ruler said:

what are you trying to say

You were given the most basic statistic possible, literally simple enough that anyone with a below average education could read and understand how the criminal activity is as rampant as reported, and your response was "I choose to believe otherwise fam."

1 minute ago, barrio ruler said:

I don't even go around robbing people that much.

Again, it doesn't have to be "that much". If it's anywhere in the realm of more than once a week, it's enough to impact a massive section of the server population. 

Let me phrase it simply - until you can explain the economy of criminal activity, this rule will never be removed. If you can't convince me that you understand, you'll never convince the server owner, who has said in no uncertain terms that this rule will never be lifted.

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, DasFroggy said:

You were given the most basic statistic possible, literally simple enough that anyone with a below average education could read and understand how the criminal activity is as rampant as reported, and your response was "I choose to believe otherwise fam."

Again, it doesn't have to be "that much". If it's anywhere in the realm of more than once a week, it's enough to impact a massive section of the server population. 

Let me phrase it simply - until you can explain the economy of criminal activity, this rule will never be removed. If you can't convince me that you understand, you'll never convince the server owner, who has said in no uncertain terms that this rule will never be lifted.

This. I believe topics like these are just being left open on the off-chance anyone comes up with something that's actually constructive, you can have 20 pages of +1s but it still doesn't mean something will be implemented if it would ultimately be detrimental to the server. Given past experiences we've both highlighted it's a pretty safe bet that choruses of "trust us bro" are utterly meaningless and won't amount to any different outcome than we already know we'd get. 

Personally I can't remember the last time I was robbed because I use common sense but it doesn't mean I can go full Ostrich and pretend there isn't an issue with excessive robberies as a whole. The evidence is very, very clear and publicly available. Just look through the report player section, many involve robberies gone wrong, lack of fear etc how many more are handled in-game? How many more aren't reported because players feel they'll waste 2-3 days on the forums just for a warning anyway? How many more go under the radar because they meet the bare minimum standards and are forgotten about in 5 minutes? That's A LOTTA potential robberies. Saying "It can't be happening this much" is a fallacy at best.

By excessive robberies, I don't mean by the same players but as a general roleplay activity. They're relied upon FAR too much under the guise of "character development", when there's so SO many other avenues of criminal roleplay that could be explored instead but aren't because of attitudes like "CBA", "LOOOOL WTF" "Robbing is easier bro", "We got no other way to make money" and until players are willing to consider the impact their actions have on server morale without spamming emojis and SMS slang, we're going to keep getting threads like this one with surprised Pikachu faces every time the limits of the rules are pushed too far by the exact same people who caused a need for this rule in the first place.

Edited by Moonsong
  • Upvote 3

i don't exactly know why this rule was put into place, but if i had to venture a guess, it might have something to do with the fact that being mugged already feels less like roleplay and more like an unskippable cutscene enough as it is without vehicle getaways. 

anything other than 100% compliance with the robbery is met with immediate threats of a forum report because of how hard "muh fear rp" is forced down everyone's throats. and i'm not trying to argue against that, i think there being a rule in place to force people to behave realistically rather than like an anime protagonist during a mugging is totally fine, but it leaves zero room for reaction. if my character is being mugged, my only possible options is to throw up the occasional /me about putting hands up and handing over valuables and then doing /arob. that's not roleplay in my eyes, like at that point you don't need a player character to mug since a scripted NPC provides you with the exact same level of interaction.

the only, and i do mean only possible reactionary action 99% of legal characters can take upon being mugged is calling the cops, which might lead to a pursuit. letting people get away with vehicles just eliminates that entirely, because by the time LEO characters can respond to the 911 call and get to the scene, you could drive from vespucci to paleto without even speeding. the map is just too small and traffic is just too non-existent to faciliate getaways with a car, it just eliminates any possibility of consequence. 

Edited by hangonda
2 hours ago, hangonda said:

but it leaves zero room for reaction. if my character is being mugged, my only possible options is to throw up the occasional /me about putting hands up and handing over valuables and then doing /arob.

To you, maybe. if that's all you can bring yourself to get out of a robbery scene because you're not happy with being robbed, then that's all on you.

6 hours ago, Xantholic said:

To you, maybe. if that's all you can bring yourself to get out of a robbery scene because you're not happy with being robbed, then that's all on you.

post a screenshot of one mugging you've rped, victim or assailant, that doesn't contain 3-4 sub 70 word /mes and a wall of /b text telling the victim to hurry up and arob

• Upvote 3
  • Applaud 2
On 2/14/2024 at 4:37 PM, barrio ruler said:

Never said a thing about hopping out, I said you should be able to park a few blocks down or something. Robbing in your residential area is silly and makes no sense. Guess you didn't read that part either. Any "criminal roleplayer" that goes around robbing just for a gun isn't someone who's here for the roleplay.

I'm saying what I think. You can say all you want.

I've grown up in gang-infested communities, all of my life. Most robberies that have ever occurred consisted of both the robber and the victim residing in the same hood, with the robber even knowing the victim. People, who were robbed, were targeted because they knew that they had something, of value, on them. When examining how most of the younger teens committed robberies, it would be over petty items. Man had merely a gram of kush? Robbed. Man had a chain? Robbed. Man had a package of cigarettes? Robbed. Ten dollars? Robbed. All of these locations are of a 15 minute walk away from each other (Pretty much it's own borough), with probably 6-9 different gangs existing within them. All mostly local robberies. This was during a time period when the robbery per capita was higher than it is today. People robbing outside of their territory is a one-off type situation, in most cases, but on the server, when unapproved vehicular robberies were banned? It was happening at rates higher than the capita of the world.

I've actually only been robbed in the hood, where I resided within, by people that lived in the general area... 15-minute walking distance, maximum, from their residency. I even knew each and every single person that did it (even when masked), by face or name. Same case for everybody that I've ever met. Never been robbed outside of my hood, while heading to work etc... 

14 year-olds plan their robberies with minimal effort. They'll know that a person has XXX items on them, or has a general idea that they do, and will rob them for it. I.E. One man knows that XXX has the new iPhone, half-quarter of kush, and a package of cigarettes on them... they rob them. Was it in the moment? Yes. Was it also pre-planned? Yes. That's most cases.

• Upvote 3

I have no idea where this idea that robberies only happen away from where people live. When my family was still cashing welfare the people who got caught for robbery were being charged with robbing the person who lived next door. It was dog-eat-dog the whole ass time, with people robbing, scamming or lying their way through the block to scrape up some extra cash.

I dunno what kind of Hollywood movie gangbangers y'all know about but out in the real world, they always go after the easiest targets. And the easiest target ain't the people living in the penthouses.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Applaud 2