CCTV Discussion

FatCatTuxedo

3 minutes ago, nateX said:

Will this system also log vehicles? I know it may be too much to ask for, but it would be absolutely insane if we would get a vehicle examine or a script that would show the vehicle model and color of a vehicle.

it does, yes, it also checks tint and if you have no tint it says how many are inside etc

• Upvote 4

I strongly believe that forcing players to contact admins directly regarding the nicknames will heavily stall the roleplay. We are already wasting hours of our time dealing with /report waiting for various warrants, checking the last person occupying a vehicle etc. Now let's consider how often LEO players will need to contact administrators for nicknames, since CCTV is one of the most common piece of evidence. This process must be automatic, we rely too much on admins already. If someone commits MG? Just report it on the forums.

Edited by TBA
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for your work!

I assume house owners who have CCTV installed will be able to access logs what their CCTV captured for that day? Will the logs be saved for past days or wiped upon restart?

I think it should be "Unknown Person" if they are unmasked but "Mask_ID" if they are masked. I'm not sure if it would be too much workload to ask administrators for logs. Maybe some exceptions could be given to LEO members for their investigations and such.

EDIT: Will players be able to shoot CCTVs, rendering them inoperable until the owner fixes them for a fee?

Edited by thekillergreece
  • Upvote 1

The only issue with this is I'm not certain this is the kind of power you want to give people against people who commit crime. Historically, people are bad with meta-gaming someone's nametag depending on whether they're masked or not. 

If you store people's names, you will inevitably turn the burden of proof onto the player and that shouldn't be the case. We do not need to go into the era of "proving" we had a mask when we drove by / went in X. People are advising that you shouldn't make admins middlemen for it, but the amount of reports this will generate is insurmountable and you should absolutely not let this up to random players, be it they role-play cops or not.

If it also checks plates, it should check /vex if plates are taped off or taken off. Do not ask players to unregister their cars to get rid of plates, that's a very unrealistic expectation for the average player with the amount of ALPR on the server.

What if a basic description of both examine and player skin is seen? e.g. male/female and the first line of an /ex.

Edited by liq
  • Upvote 2
1 minute ago, liq said:

The only issue with this is I'm not certain this is the kind of power you want to give people against people who commit crime. Historically, people are bad with meta-gaming someone's nametag depending on whether they're masked or not. 

If you store people's names, you will inevitably turn the burden of proof onto the player and that shouldn't be the case. We do not need to go into the era of "proving" we had a mask when we drove by / went in X. People are advising that you shouldn't make admins middlemen for it, but the amount of reports this will generate is insurmountable and you should absolutely not let this up to random players, be it they role-play cops or not.

If it also checks plates, it should check /vex if plates are taped off or taken off. Do not ask players to unregister their cars to get rid of plates, that's a very unrealistic expectation for the average player with the amount of ALPR on the server.

What if a basic description of both examine and player skin is seen? e.g. male/female and the first line of an /ex.

The plate feature wont be enabled until we have a script way for players to remove plates

• Upvote 3

might just be best left with an admin middleman, but, that's kinda where we're at now, bar this.. logging people. Might just be best as an admin tool. 

I think the MDC screenshot idea is good, just make it a CEF thing so people can't see the link or copy it or w/e. Have it be a little panel with an 'access CCTV still' button that pulls up their mugshot. 

• Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, DLimit said:

I'd rather report someone for MGing my character's name than to report for an admin to identify a character.

Honestly? This.

I feel like having an admin give you a players name everytime you wanna use it is just gonna make the whole system a hassle. Admins aren't around all the time and catching them for issues like this can be difficult at times. 

Rather report someone if you think the information was metagamed.

• Upvote 2
33 minutes ago, Adv said:

My solution is that we keep a log of character descriptions - and that character descriptions are saved to a player. 

Anytime a char saves their description, you save it in the database with a timestamp for each of the types of description - mask/uniform/normal/tattoos/damages etc. 

When someone queries a player here, when we load this table of data, it then does a join on the table to find out what their description was at this time, and outputs this to the player.

If people are found to be abusing it or putting vaguer descriptions before plan heists, it can be handled by admins!

Don't add character names, instead use the method Adv said.

• Upvote 2