The Mask Epidemic

The Mask Epidemic  

963 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

IC law is meh, making it illegal to wear a mask at all accomplishes nothing, because wearing a mask is already enough reasonable suspicion to preform a frisk most of the time.

The problem is truly just the enforcement on people wearing masks, the person is either too minor to raise concern (someone just walking around the LTD with a mask), or four deep in a fully maxed STX which you have a very low chance of keeping up with.

A lot of people wear masks just to wear masks, they aren't wanted nor have any real opps who are hunting for them, rather they just want to hide their nametag to mask their identity. There's not too much you can do from both an OOC standpoint (Unless you make it so you can't wear masks unless specific circumstances which is dumb) or IC (Make a law which won't get enforced because it'd just be a misdemeanor)

A law would just make it so officers can frisk / search anyone with a mask, which most times the mask alone is already enough without a law.

-

The only real fixes would be through IC means such as pressing people who come around you with a mask on. If you're a civilian and someone is being shady with a mask on, slip away to call the cops, that's completely normal. If you're more on the illegal side of things press them to take it off (within reason). 

There used to be OOC realism rules in place about using masks, and they should be brought back for people who wear them around 24/7 or troll/bait with them. 

There are already ic consequences for not identifying yourself or being masked up in a business whose staff tell you to leave. That's not the problem.

The problem is people have 0 semblance for realism. They'll keep defending it by using music videos, gang documentaries, & IG live videos to justify wearing masks in public places like it's normal behavior.. it's not.

The only people I've seen realistically hiding their face would be..

• Halloween
  • Bikers with helmets on
  • People who wear masks for work
  • Criminals committing crimes
  • Rappers/thugs showing off and flexing for parties/pics/social media

Someone suggested there being an admin alert if someone's been wearing a mask for too long.. that might be the only reasonable way to fix it. If you're always in a mask, what are you actually RPing? And it seems like baiting if you walk into a normal business masked up, get told to leave, and escalate it even if you knew it would happen.

• Applaud 1

yeah I dont think you're American buddy, I could and have worn a ski-mask to the grocery store before and God didn't strike me down and ajail me IRL. Idk why people from Middle Earth constantly try and tell US Americans what goes on over here and what's normal, you don't know what's normal so keep your uneducated opinions to yourself.

• Upvote 7
  • Applaud 1
13 minutes ago, stain said:

yeah I dont think you're American buddy, I could and have worn a ski-mask to the grocery store before and God didn't strike me down and ajail me IRL. Idk why people from Middle Earth constantly try and tell US Americans what goes on over here and what's normal, you don't know what's normal so keep your uneducated opinions to yourself.

way too many people on this server just refuse to understand that something could be realistic even if they don't see it walking down the street in stockholm and berlin. it's perfectly fine to not give a shit about street trends and the questionable fashion choices of criminals and wannabe thugs but I don't see what's the point of trying to dictate rp based on uneducated opinions

I honestly don't even know where you people are seeing so many dudes masked up, I see more motorcycle helmets than ski masks and even those aren't very high in number

Edited by AnthonyCourtney
  • Thanks 1

I dunno what people are about here, seems they are missing or overlooking one detail. This is a GTA server with limited population. People wearing masks in cars or outside are 9/10 an enemy going to rob someone or kill someone. Simple as that, hiding behind what's realistic and normal anywhere in the world. Doesn't apply here and never will.

Just now, Engelbert said:

I dunno what people are about here, seems they are missing or overlooking one detail. This is a GTA server with limited population. People wearing masks in cars or outside are 9/10 an enemy going to rob someone or kill someone. Simple as that, hiding behind what's realistic and normal anywhere in the world. Doesn't apply here and never will.

so what difference does it make to you that they're wearing masks if they aren't even interacting with anyone in a normal fashion and are using it in a reasonable and realistic way, considering that real criminals are also using the fact it's a fashion trend as a way to be more inconspicuous?

Edited by AnthonyCourtney
  • Upvote 1
13 minutes ago, AnthonyCourtney said:

so what difference does it make to you that they're wearing masks if they aren't even interacting with anyone in a normal fashion and are using it in a reasonable and realistic way, considering that real criminals are also using the fact it's a fashion trend as a way to be more inconspicuous?

I am just commenting bro, I pay them no attention IG, unless they interact with me.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, stain said:

So you're saying the mask use is for portrayal and not because people want to hide their name tag? In that case we can just get rid of that feature right? Since your concern is about what's normal in America.

7 minutes ago, mj2002 said:

So you're saying the mask use is for portrayal and not because people want to hide their name tag? In that case we can just get rid of that feature right? Since your concern is about what's normal in America.

Sure, but negating the whole point of masks in the first place being hiding a persons appearance seems a little redundant. People will MG nametags all the time regardless of what rules you put in place. I don't see why everyone's issue is with people using the masks in the way they're intended to be used.