[LS Lore] - More IC Influenced continuity and law changes.

Detailed Description

This suggestion is not a physical one, it doesn't necessarily immediately change anything in terms of scripts. However, this is aimed at making the server feel a little more in line with what is happening in Los Santos itself without trying to stick to California's IRL laws as much as we do, and actually taking context and current IC happenings into the equation.

Rewriting an entirely custom governmental system is out of the question, nor is it what I'm suggesting.

Simply put: We take what we have right now in terms of laws, and gradually expand and add upon them. Basically taking IC events of LS into account for law changes. Not only does this affect legal factions, this equally affects illegal factions in a way that they would have to adapt to said changes.

Example: Let's pretend that there is an attempt at a ban for Tobacco products by law. Legal businesses selling tobacco products could find legal ways around the ban to circumvent the law changes and still be able to sell their products. Perhaps changing to vape products instead or start selling other legal drugs, likewise, illegal businesses could be thriving off of this prohibition by selling tobacco products. (I take Tobacco for the example even though it's mostly irrelevant, but it's so you can paint a picture in your head. It can be anything else).

In turn, these law changes could perhaps encourage (Or not!) people to protest peacefully, or otherwise. People could also be happy with said changes, so on and so on. It could most definitely influence Legal and Illegal businesses to change the way they operate as stated before (depending on laws of course). Voting would become more relevant than it is, with politicians having their own views for LS and being able to actually see that unfold would be great.

A short example is, some politicians and voters could want the police being defunded, or otherwise funded further, which would in turn have an impact on LS and the LEO factions as a whole, they would have to adapt to said changes. Gun laws could change, vehicle laws could change, weed could become legalized, which would then affect everyone in different ways, legal factions could capitalize on that, whilst illegal factions could find new ways to make profit off of other drugs, increasing player creativity and contributing in their own way to the state of LS.

Relevant Commands/Items

N/A

How will it benefit the server?

Could this change the face of GTA: W as we currently know it?:

- Yes, absolutely. Just like it can remain stagnant and stay as it is, it is all depending on the LS Government, and also the overall server for any change to happen at all.

My argument for the added benefits of a more dynamic and IC driven government and laws, is that it will most definitely influence both the legal and illegal scene in interesting ways, which is what I think we desperately need for this server to not end up in stagnating waters where each day is looking more and more like the last. I think it would overall increase the playerbase to see such changes happen entirely IC, it provides people with different challenges for all kinds of factions, and gives ways for players to develop their character(s) in the long run.

Ideally, as a side note, this could also be applied to LC down the line.

As a closing statement, if you like, or don't like this suggestion, I'd definitely like to hear why. Discussions and constructive criticism are important to determine what works and what doesn't for the server, so needless to say it helps whoever is next to suggest something similar to be more in-line with the majority's views in the future.

Edited by Mistery14
  • Upvote 1
9 hours ago, varthshenon said:

+1. The only concerns is that if the players that run the government have no idea how to actually "manage" a city "seriously" since this will impact the entire server.

I'm sure there are capable players out there who might have sufficient knowledge, the difficult part is to let these people know that 'it's a thing', it might not occur to everyone that they could get into that kind of RP.

Lack of knowledge would translate into IC incompetence anyways which can make things interesting from a development standpoint for LS. If one or more politicians decides to make up laws that don't make sense, then they could be voted out of their position and so on but, yeah I do agree with you.

14 minutes ago, Mistery14 said:

I'm sure there are capable players out there who might have sufficient knowledge, the difficult part is to let these people know that 'it's a thing', it might not occur to everyone that they could get into that kind of RP.

Lack of knowledge would translate into IC incompetence anyways which can make things interesting from a development standpoint for LS. If one or more politicians decides to make up laws that don't make sense, then they could be voted out of their position and so on but, yeah I do agree with you.

Well, I RPed one of my char in needing assistance from the government but they just told my char to just RP with NPC. That's not really a "government" RP. Unless I misunderstood them.

Edited by varthshenon
1 minute ago, varthshenon said:

Well, I RPed one of my char in needing assistance from the government but they just told my char to just RP with NPC. That's not really a "government" RP. Unless I misunderstood them.

Aye while we talking ab rping disability and all that I Just found out you can get a ticket for parking in a handicap spot in GtA:W.....

How do I get my character a disabled parking voucher....

• Upvote 1
10 minutes ago, Fudge said:

Aye while we talking ab rping disability and all that I Just found out you can get a ticket for parking in a handicap spot in GtA:W.....

How do I get my character a disabled parking voucher....

I know this is off-topic, however;

This was influenced by IC circumstances. 

You bring up a good point about how to get it though. I will try to ensure this gets remedied over the next few weeks.

As for the suggestion, you'll have to keep in mind that all of this already exists. There's been a number of laws or governmental actions that have derived as a response to IC incidents. All of this is technically possible and is already a thing. However, FM does have the final say on whether or not certain laws can pass, i.e. marijuana legalization for recreational use.

• Upvote 3

I agree with everything here. I've always encouraged more IC response to anything we've done, whether that's just a FB post, a thank-you card sent to an official, or a full blown bloody riot; and I'll continue to advocate for it

A lot of bills and actions happen because of IC incidents. Like Zani mentioned, the Yulia Act is actually named after and written with Yulia Sawyer in mind. That will be looked into to make sure people can actually apply for it, I was unaware that this was an issue

On the other side of the coin, having been involved in this roleplay for several years now, there's a major lack of communication. No matter how many platforms we set up to be accessible to the public, we really don't get that much feedback or suggestion. And again, like Zani said, FM has the final say on almost everything we do. Even if there's something that's wanted by 99% of the community, it may not get implemented if it negatively effects the health of the server (eg. marijuana legalization. Would've been the end of the drug market back then)