PSA: Hispanic RP, please stop saying "Palabra"...

Fatal

I don't know who originally did the Google Translate / dictionary translation for "word" and decided it was slang, but it's not.

Urbandictionary disagrees and it doesn't matter because people textbook-translate other terms and give definitions to their own names on there.

Who has actually heard a real Latino say palabra on the street, as a slang replacement for "word".

*Not your friends pretending to be Hispanic and appropriating the entire culture as their discord identity when they're actually European, they don't count.

• Upvote 2
  • Applaud 3
9 minutes ago, Fatal said:

I don't know who originally did the Google Translate / dictionary translation for "word" and decided it was slang, but it's not.

Urbandictionary disagrees and it doesn't matter because people textbook-translate other terms and give definitions to their own names on there.

Who has actually heard a real Latino say palabra on the street, as a slang replacement for "word".

*Not your friends pretending to be Hispanic and appropriating the entire culture as their discord identity when they're actually European, they don't count.

I'm latino. Most likely people will mock at you, it's not appropriation Sorry if this breach the "common courtesy" but that's loads of bullshit, either side.

I feel cringe for you by saying its appropriating the entire culture, my culture lol. But also cringe for people trying to portray latinos without researching the slangs, that varies per country.

The correct slang for word in spanish, often is "Fino", sometimes "Serio" depending of the context and phrase? But "Palabra" its just the worst i've ever heard and i will probably mock that person until I die in real life

Hayase Nagatoro Nagatoro Hehe GIF - Hayase Nagatoro Nagatoro Hehe Nagatoro  Laughing - Descubre & Comparte GIFs

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, Xaleya said:

I'm latino. Most likely people will mock at you, it's not appropriation Sorry if this breach the "common courtesy" but that's loads of bullshit, either side.

I feel cringe for you by saying its appropriating the entire culture, my culture lol. But also cringe for people trying to portray latinos without researching the slangs, that varies per country.

The correct slang for word in spanish, often is "Fino", sometimes "Serio" depending of the context and phrase? But "Palabra" its just the worst i've ever heard and i will probably mock that person until I die in real life

Hayase Nagatoro Nagatoro Hehe GIF - Hayase Nagatoro Nagatoro Hehe Nagatoro  Laughing - Descubre & Comparte GIFs

Are you Spanish or Mexican American? People in game use variations of Caló, which is pretty specific to Chicanos and the Chicano culture. People aren't dropping random Spanish words into their RP.

6 minutes ago, Xaleya said:

Thanks for giving them a decent slang replacement!

Also Hispanic, btw. Also my culture, btw.

No I'm not saying it's appropriation to rp this or say the wrong words without researching it.

I'm talking about actual people who invent their entire online personality to speak & act Latino OOC and spread misinformation.

Edited by Fatal

oye compa que onda wey palabra perro 

4 minutes ago, Fatal said:

Thanks for giving them a decent slang replacement!

Also Hispanic, btw. Also my culture, btw.

No I'm not saying it's appropriation to rp this or say the wrong words without researching it.

I'm talking about actual people who invent their entire online personality to speak & act Latino OOC and spread misinformation.

what is ur current geographical location

• Upvote 1

Bro, it's like people forget that there are localized bits of slang in practically every language and country.

That's like me coming at somebody from Davao for speaking differently from me because my family is from Manila and speaks the standard dialect of Tagalog. Or me saying that somebody from Wisconin saying pop instead of just soda is unrealistic. Or that some midwesterner/west coaster saying lightning bug instead of firefly is unrealistic. This is even more applicable to Spanish. The amount of region specific slang you have in Mexico is absurd. Marico for example usually means gay in Spanish, but if you were to be in Argentina it'd have basically the same usage as wey/dude. The fact that the language is diverse enough that slang varies from country to country, and even then the regions of that country have their own localized slang and different utilizations of bits of slang genuinely does feel like you claiming you're Latino doesn't matter. If you're from L.A., then fine, you've probably encountered it even if you weren't Latino.

Unless you're legit from Los Angeles and have a Mexican-American background, regardless if you're Latino, it doesn't matter. I grew up with predominantly Puerto Ricans and Dominicans, but you don't see me claiming I know shit about West Coast Latino slang, because they're so absurdly different despite being located within the same country, that my experiences are irrelevant.

Edited by soudiere
  • TyJ locked this topic