Add 1-2 delay to switching car engines on

Detailed Description

Currently, switching your car engine on is instant. There's no second delay.

Example speaking, you stop someone for speeding or any other reason. You approach their window and start roleplay and what not. The driver decides to flee by switching the engine on. But, since there's no delay, you cannot predict nor react to them fleeing like at all. Besides, it's really realistic that engines are instantly switched on. It takes about 1-2 seconds for you to reach to ignition, twist the keys and then switch the engine on.

Relevant Commands/Items

N/A

How will it benefit the server?

Fairness and balance in both sides; the one trying to switch engine on and flee and the other one having enough chances to react that the person is trying to flee or something in some cases.

• Applaud 1

When my character was pulled over and had an IC reason to try to get away (he collided just a few 4-5 meters away afterwards. Intentionally from my side as you're not the best driver when you've been drinking) then I roleplayed it with details.

Figured that's best for both me and the player that's portraying the police. Because it is a critical moment that law enforcers look out for in real life, and it can just be skipped by pressing Y and then W. The whole dynamic then changed, because they understood I wasn't there to get away. I think they felt safe in my roleplay in a way, felt nice.

I guess it is about giving them an opportunity to be alerted in the same way a cop will be alerted if your hand creeps closer to the ignition.

Also, edit: I don't know about the timer, but it should at least be roleplayed. Shouldn't it?

Edited by coffeecup
12 minutes ago, coffeecup said:

Also, edit: I don't know about the timer, but it should at least be roleplayed. Shouldn't it?

I applaud players who RP twisting the keys in the ignition before fleeing. However, most players (in my experience of course) do not make a /me and typically switch the engine on and flee without warning. Hence the suggestion. 🙂

I do not think there is a need for this, Players should know better than to press Y and gun it down the road. If you want to flee from LEOs I thought it was common courtesy to roleplay it out first, but apparently it isn't. I think that instead of a timer, there should be a rule breach punishment issued to those who gun it first and think later. This can be classified as common courtesy or stretched out into powergaming, as in real life, turning the engine on, switching the car back into drive or first and then running takes those few seconds.

Just now, hentai! said:

I do not think there is a need for this, Players should know better than to press Y and gun it down the road. If you want to flee from LEOs I thought it was common courtesy to roleplay it out first, but apparently it isn't. I think that instead of a timer, there should be a rule breach punishment issued to those who gun it first and think later. This can be classified as common courtesy or stretched out into powergaming, as in real life, turning the engine on, switching the car back into drive or first and then running takes those few seconds.

People should know better. But, they don't. But, I definately don't think timers are the way.

Yep, I support this, the ones who aren't supporting are the ones sliding into a car light the engine and flee in matter of a second. You can't possibly be perfect in:

Sliding the key into the ignition press on the clutch to slide into first gear and then press the gas pedal to fly, IN AN INSTANT in real life.

Even, some of the IRL cars have delay in turning on the car when you press the engine button. There's no reason to have everything done in an instant in the server.

It'll force players to RP or force them to take the time they should've RP'ed but they didn't. It's a nice addition.

+1