Restricted faction concept on Nortenos

Artist

Not trying to go against IFM or the rules or anything but I am just curious why Nortenos are not allowed on the server I understand why they should not be allowed to be roleplayed in Los Santos County but why they are not allowed to be roleplayed in Blaine county or in the server is what confuses me I have seen Bulldogs on this server and they are in Fresno and some surroundings areas but there are Norteno gangs that get more down south then the Bulldogs like the Nortenos in Delano now Nortenos are rumored to be in Bakersfield which I can't really support their existence there but there are multiple Norteno sets in Delano which is pretty close to Bakersfield now I understand the unrealistic conflict thing like a Norteno driving all the way down south to go hunt a Sureno is not likely at all and is very unrealistic and same for the other way around but there are tons of upstate Sureno gangs and not just Surenos but many other gangs that Nortenos go at it with and I don't think faction rp is all about conflict with other factions though it does play a large role but all I am asking is why they are not allowed I think a little Norteno faction out in Grapeseed if portrayed correctly would be pretty cool I mean if Bulldogs roleplayed up there why not Nortenos I just want to know the reasoning and if they will ever be allowed on this server please consider some of the things that I have said and I would like to hear some of your thoughts on this topic.

Edited by Artist
  • Upvote 2

I've tried pushing the NF countless times, every time it was shot down. Even when attempting to portray the NF in a more business standpoint when it comes to the drug trade and not so much of recruiting Norteno's around hoods but still was turned down. As a Northern California native with a lot of people that I grew up with being northerners I can definitely say that business is done by the NF all over California and not simply up here in the bay area only. I can understand not allowing Norteno gangs although it makes little sense not to allow the Nuestra Familia to operate up north in the county area. 

Hoping IFM allows the concept one day as it would definitely create more diverse, organized roleplay. 

• Upvote 1

I agree with you in the sense that that restricting Norteno gangs seems a little arbitrary. I think since Los Santos is fictional there would be room for Norteno gangs. Additionally in real life Nortenos have a long history of trafficking goods across the southern border and have small clicks appearing in the southern parts of California. But, to give a little nod to IFM, they do provide this reasoning -

Instead, non-tax paying Latino gangs are promoted, such as cliques of Maravillains or Paisas. Experiences with other communities have demonstrated that the existence of these gangs would probably promote senseless and unrealistic conflict between parties which very rarely rub shoulders outside of a prison context. This stance could change in the far future.

In this spirit I strongly agree – What is a norteno gang going to add to the server other than being “not sureno?” I personally feel like there are way too many surenos as it is. Anything a norteno faction could or would do could easily be done as an individual, Los Santos-based gang. Is there something specific you’d like to do as far as a Norteno gang goes?

Edited by K0range4

I think this would have been good had it been tried a lot earlier in the server's existence. Areas like Paleto Bay and Grapeseed bare a lot of Nor-Cal inspired comparisons, it's just that the server lore seems to be set in stone and follows a Southern-Californian dominant portrayal. Paleto Bay, by resemblance, seems to be loosely stimulated around areas north of the Bay Area if you take into consideration areas like the redwood forest. An argument could be made that the name 'Paleto Bay' is partially inspired by Pelican Bay State Prison. In grapeseed, it's more comparable to farming towns and other northern areas like the Salinas Valley, these locations are what would make the most sense from an equivalency perspective i.e. California to San Andreas. The dynamic could have been good in its infant stage, but I think we're too far gone to be removing 5 years worth of culture.

I think in general concepts are gatekept too much, but there's justification for gatekeeping concepts like this or we'd have surenos and nortenos traveling back and forth based on how out of date most people are with modernization, it'd be red rags vs blue rags like it was on LSRP in and around 2007-2010 before it was restricted too. I think we're well beyond any of this now considering a lot of the server's fundamentals are based on old server's Southern California dominant stance, which was mostly because of map limitations. GTA V is much less restrictive and could have had a stage of trial and error but I'd say the people enforcing the server lore are probably content with the fixture. There's been a few Nor-Cal dominant factions on the server both past and present which have been relatively continuative and lasting, FAIM for one.

It'd be a breath of fresh air, but I'd say you're fighting a losing battle here. The restrictions at present are too heavy. If they can't start new motorcycle clubs, specific organized crime factions or generally most concepts that 'don't make sense in Southern California' then I can't see this ever being a thing under this enforcement.

Edited by Chuckles
  • Upvote 1
7 hours ago, K0range4 said:

Anything a norteno faction could or would do could easily be done as an individual, Los Santos-based gang. Is there something specific you’d like to do as far as a Norteno gang goes?

This is a redundant argument and the same logic can be applied to any other faction concept. 90% of factions on the server do the same thing in the bones: Traffick arms, deal drugs, politick, steal cars, extort. Etc etc. The true fun and interesting aspect is the characters we meet, create and interact with. That's (what I believe) to be the most enjoyment out of RP. RPing different cultures, people n all. To me, it gets boring when all the people you can meet is skinhead number 1, sureno number 2 and african american number 3. Yeah adding 1 more to the pile isn't a lot but it's a start.

I will try acting like a dick.

I will create a Norteño faction for having natural enemies, sureños. So I don't need a real reason for shooting them rather than discovering they are sureños. Since we have a natural and historical grudge/conflict over the years due the naturality of our factions/history. So I will have a nice highway to do DM with no repercussions.

That's one of the issues.<

• Wuhtah locked this topic