Too many foreign characters?

Dustyboi

Immigrants are alright, but posh white British kids in south central is always hilarious lol. 

One time a character kept referring to someone as a Roadman, I legitimately never heard this word used in the United States ever, and they were frustrated when I assumed they were a truck driver. 

I would personally love to see more South American (not Mexican), Southeast Asian and Pakistani/Indian immigrants, as this is what I truly see in the states.

I just really have no idea why a person from Western Europe would legitimately want to leave their country to live in Davis lol.

Edited by CowboyYoda22
  • Upvote 2

Not to name anyone but I remember niggas in rollin' 20s discord background story you had to make to join their official faction had stories like "He was nicked after a ting in East London and moved to LS after coming out of prison" Y'all gotta stop. 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, pateuvasiliu said:

On one hand, it is a bit jarring to see so many British people.

On the other hand, is an immigrant character worse than a native whose player clearly isn't familiar with the culture?

If I have to choose between someone playing their own ( International ) culture properly and a native one badly, I'd choose the former.

I mean nobody is ever going to hit it perfectly when it comes to roleplaying a different culture than their own. I think roleplaying a different culture (not even a foreigner per se), in a different setting than your own is a big part of roleplay and what the server is going after. So don't see why you would want to discourage people from doing that.

The issue isn't so much demographics, because there are too many criminals and cops, etc, if you wanted things to make sense, and you can't really control for that. The problem is backstories that make no sense in terms of immigration.

52 minutes ago, Solsroyce said:

I mean nobody is ever going to hit it perfectly when it comes to roleplaying a different culture than their own. I think roleplaying a different culture (not even a foreigner per se), in a different setting than your own is a big part of roleplay and what the server is going after. So don't see why you would want to discourage people from doing that.

I'm not trying to discourage them. But if you're fresh on the server and don't know anything about Los Angeles or America in general it's probably a good idea to RP something you KNOW while familiarising yourself with the setting.

I don't think there are too many foreign characters, remember that a lot of characters with foreign names roleplay being born in America. From my experience, most foreign looking characters have actually been born in America, many roleplay being born in Los Santos itself. 

A lot of the foreign characters are indeed British but that doesn't mean every single one of them is bad. No hate towards the British, but they do have their own sense of humor and yes, they do come off as dickheads, that's just British humor/culture for you. I respect people who can roleplay a character that makes my character uncomfortable or annoyed, it's just great portrayal. As long as your backstory makes sense, and your character contributes to our virtual society in any way, I don't care.

We complain a lot as a community and I think that it ruins us and hinders our development in many cases, because people refrain from doing X or Y due to peer pressure and just block their development and roleplay. Do what you want, as long as - like I said - you contribute to the roleplay, society and as long as you are not a walking stereotype who's entire purpose is to be a social bot or a character used for ERP to jerk off and log off two hours later.

So yes, TL;DR there are lots of foreign characters, but some only seem foreign and are actually American. A lot of characters who are foreign are not immediately bad. Social bots and ERP throwaway characters who are walking stereotypes are an issue but it is a low severity issue. You can avoid them by telling them you're not interested IC, and you will get development out of that because that situation might potentially change what your character is like. You have to look at things with just a little bit of positivity, instead of saying that everything is immediately a problem.

1 hour ago, Engelbert said:

I wouldn't say, too many foreign characters. Too many foreign players playing americans. I myself don't know much about latest american slang, yet I rp american characters.

So we should gatekeep who can play a nationality based on their out of character nationality? Sorry just seems like you're all a bit nitpicky about other people's RP. Your vocabulary is really trivial when it comes to whether you can or cannot create good RP.

37 minutes ago, pateuvasiliu said:

I'm not trying to discourage them. But if you're fresh on the server and don't know anything about Los Angeles or America in general it's probably a good idea to RP something you KNOW while familiarising yourself with the setting.

How are you going to learn anything about how to play your character if you don't actually play it? What difference does your character's cultural background make when you roleplay in a setting you're unfamiliar with?

2 minutes ago, Solsroyce said:

So we should gatekeep who can play a nationality based on their out of character nationality? Sorry just seems like you're all a bit nitpicky about other people's RP. Your vocabulary is really trivial when it comes to whether you can or cannot create good RP.

How are you going to learn anything about how to play your character if you don't actually play it? What difference does your character's cultural background make when you roleplay in a setting you're unfamiliar with?

Umm I was saying, that some characters may come as foreign, cause despite being american their players might not use usual american slang?

• Upvote 1
  • Auntie locked this topic