Rework the character slot system

L33SA5

Description:

There was a discussion thread regarding donator and paywall things. While it's locked and I've only seen it recently, I came to an idea - there are many ways to support the server (and many limitations to the server as well). This suggestion is regarding character slots. Everybody gets 3 standard slots + 1 jail character slot.

Relevant concepts:

My idea is to liberate the addition of character slots and leave the donations as a way of getting instant new character slots and as many as you want.

However, I had an idea to reward active players by giving them a slot for every 3 months (or sensible period server leadership would agree to) spent online.

Donators will still be able to buy slots with WP, but wouldn't have to wait for the activity period to complete, and could get as many as they need, while players would only get 1 slot per period.

How will it benefit the server?

Active roleplayers are a backbone of any RP community, and many players would greet this decision as a generally good way of rewarding active players.

It's interesting that there are many measures to punish inactivity but there weren't any to reward activity, this could be one.

This will also increase the variety in RP, and the world would seem more populated, and the economy would be more used.

There are bad things, like  hardware limitations and possible abuse, but I think they are minor comparing to the popularity boost the server will receive.

I don't think this is really needed. You can already make 3 characters and buy as many more slots as you want. I highly doubt there are many people on the server who can actively and properly portray four or five characters at the same time.

If you want to try a different concept and your slots are full, simply buy another slot, namechange one of your characters or delete one and create a new one. Doing this will likely remove the need for people to use the option and buy more slots and rather AFK for days on end, and if a system is introduced to prevent it, they'd find ways to circumvent that. 

2 hours ago, L33SA5 said:

@Mahitto Bruh , on every suggestion I make, you appear to counter it 😄

Funny things aside, I don't agree with you on that. There's already prevention of being AFK.

I still don't think locking character slots behind a paywall is exactly a good thing. It limits freedom of RP.

Not on purpose! But this is just my opinion. It's not a paywall, as anyone can already create multiple characters if they want more freedom, to role-play more concepts at the same time. It's highly unlikely that anyone can properly develop more than 4 characters at one time but in those rare cases, people can make an exception and actually purchase more slots.

But again, people who want to role-play a new concept and have all slots filled up can buy a namechange, delete the character and create a new one, or purchase another slot. Everyone has the freedom to role-play anything they want, after all.

I think the current system is fine as it is. Three slots are more than enough for 97% of the players, especially once they realize how much effort it takes to actively play a character properly. When you want to get an extra slot, you can buy one. You'll realize afterwards that even that wasn't really needed.

• Upvote 1

I don't agree with this, from personal experience. I am an altaholic, across the countless mmo span I have hundreds of characters, majority of them unused for couple of years now. If you have more slots, you are tempted to create more characters, more characters mean more time divided between your characters, which means less time for actual roleplay and story progression. I don't know how others do that, but I can barely manage playing two characters at a time. In the end I think this would only clog the server up.

Edited by Engelbert

There is a reason additional character slots cost money. Where do you think the data is stored on each of your characters? On the server. Servers are not free. Sure the character data is probably VERY tiny. But consider the amount of active players are probably around 2000 (Sure, we only peak around 700-800 players online. But not everyone gets online at the same time.). So imagine all 2000 of those people had 5+ characters, that soon becomes a lot of data that needs storing. This is why your character slots are limited behind a pay wall. 

And as people said above. Develop existing characters. Not make new ones. Delete old ones you never use anymore. You can delete a character once a month for free. Make use of that if you get bored and wanna try and new concept. I dunno how some people can play multiple characters myself. I put in a lot of time on just one character and never think it's enough. Hah.