The Off-road Motorcycle issue

Shaushe

15 minutes ago, Trumavarium said:

I don't like the idea of taking a chase off-road, especially not if the physics of the game can be abused in this sense. But I highly doubt you can regulate this behaviour. Setting a rule against it would also be counter-benificial. What PD might look into instead, is having motorbikes and choppers ready once you have a chase taking you to the regions where this can be 'abused'.

Exactly.

Adding one more limitation is not needed at all. 

In my opinion, if you have a offroad vehicle such as a quad, a dirtbike (Sanchez, Enduro, Manchez, maybe some more) or an SUV/Truck (Granger, Police Granger, Baller, Bison) and some exceptions like the Kamacho, then you should be able to go offroad to whatever extent the game allows you as long as you're not doing insanely high jumps or smashing into things constantly. Why shouldn't you be able to go offroad in a vehicle that was for the most part designed to go offroad? Dirtbikes and quads especially since you can see the actual traction on their tires and their sole purpose is this kind of activity, however SUVs fall in this category too. 

Anything that isn't specifically designed to go offroad should not be going offroad to the same extent as these vehicle unless there is prior RP of turning this into some kind of rally car. The fact that a police bike can go up an actual mountain while a Granger can't go up a smaller one shows the disheartening gap in our rules regarding these kinds of activities, where one admin might say something that differs from the next. I definitely think more clarification is needed. 

33 minutes ago, Trumavarium said:

I don't like the idea of taking a chase off-road, especially not if the physics of the game can be abused in this sense. But I highly doubt you can regulate this behaviour. Setting a rule against it would also be counter-benificial. What PD might look into instead, is having motorbikes and choppers ready once you have a chase taking you to the regions where this can be 'abused'.

PD definitely needs more helicopter units, but I don't think they should be receiving a "police sanchez" or anything like that. If your suspect goes offroad, why not just follow them in the heli and have all the units follow from around? I don't think police officers in real life would risk their road-designed vehicles to go offroad and catch a guy who probably didn't even do anything severe enough to be regarded as dangerous. 

23 minutes ago, Yabbu said:

Is there any way to script a speed penalty do non-off road cars and bikes if they run to the grass/sand? Like driving on dirt road does.

Probably, but this limits RP by not letting people with offroad vehicles or with vehicles they RPly converted to offroad type vehicles be able to drive offroad without a speed penalty.

16 minutes ago, Mikee said:

Exactly.

Adding one more limitation is not needed at all. 

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

• 3 months later...

So, I work in the motorcycle industry and ride irl. Whilst it is possible to take a street bike or even a Harley off-road, climbing a slope such as that would require a lot of clutch control, yet alone grip on the back wheel... It'd even be tough on an off-road bike but still possible, it's more likely the front wheel would leave the slope and you'd be left on your ass whilst the bike launches itself up the hill. You really have to control the power on steep slope like that. I'm not going to pretend I'm an off-road rider because I'm not, I ride Harleys mostly. I've taken a Harley off-road and even that's "hairy" and that was just cutting across a narrow dirt track.

It should be against the rules. It is on other servers I've played back on San Andreas. Just run OBS whenever you're in game and report them each time it happens, or request an admin to spectate during a bike chase. Eventually... With the admins clamping down, people will get the jist and it'll stop. One of the servers I play, it's even considered non-rp driving to ride a Freeway down the side of a grassed bank to get off the highway.

However, side tracking a little... I do not consider riding down staircases and riding into alleyways around the city to be unrealistic. This is absolutely possible, although it is worth mentioning that fewer bikes could ride "up" the staircases. Especially not a Harley. It's also worth mentioning jumps, physically riding off of an edge, leaving the ground for a while and landing back on two wheels... This really does depend on the bike... A Harley would burst it's own tyres and bottom out it's suspension, a sports bike would probably bottom out it's front suspension and you'd go over the handle bars, unless you managed to land the back wheel first, followed quickly by the front to absorb the impact. An off-road bike, well... This is what they're built for. You want to outrun the cops? Buy a bike with no registering required that's built for manoeuvring tight spaces, capable of on and off-road terrain (within reason) and hitting jumps.

59 minutes ago, 50p said:

You want to outrun the cops? Buy a bike with no registering required that's built for manoeuvring tight spaces, capable of on and off-road terrain (within reason) and hitting jumps.

Also known as the BF-400 stunt bike.

Which is sad, because I like the bike.  Everytime I ride/see one, all I can think about is poorly executed robberies and cop baiting. R.I.P BF-400

On 5/6/2018 at 9:27 PM, Lance said:

I don't know how to feel about it. Seems like non RP and quite annoying way to end the chase, but I don't want every chase to end with the suspect in jail, since Police cars are much faster, climbing is the only way to do it I guess. Overall vehicles are weird. For some reason police cars are much quicker.My SUV can go 95 on a highway and can barely go 50 on a dirtroad. Any type of bike can climb any mountain like this?

I witnessed a situation where I've seen a Heavy bike(I.E. Wolvesbane) climb nearly a 90 degree slope in-game. Of course it was not during a chase.

So yes, some rules regarding that should be put in place.

2 hours ago, Velora said:

It does beg the question as to what we consider 'offroad' bikes. The bike I use, looks like a street bike but is clearly a Dual-sport.. the issue is RAGE limits us as to what we can put for tires.. so everything looks street.

That's a GTA limitation, not Rage. You can't swap tire tread on bikes period.

An off road bike is an off road bike. There is no question. There are various types of bikes. Off-road is one of them. The surface it's intended to be used on.