Money Laundering & Tax Evasion

latenight

Detailed Description: As we know, we can just put huge amounts of money in our banks and no law enforcement really cares about that. (At least that's what I think). So my suggestion is this: since with the new system we will be able to put the money in our cars and houses or whatever. Why don't we just make a system that notifies law enforcement detectives or whatever department, when a certain amount of money is deposited in someone's bank account in a short time period? So the detectives can look into it, literally follow the money, monitor the suspect If he's getting the money from trucking, fishing or sales OR If It's just from illegal supplies?

It might come as I'm talking about a very tiny thing but think about this:

There is no way we can just put 100k in our bank account without getting noticed, or there's no way we can just sell guns and put the cash money into the bank without nobody bats an eye. We all know that mobs and gangs ROLEPLAY laundering their money but we also know that even If they don't launder it, nobody will care about it. 

Laundering part will be pure RP again obviously, I'm not talking about an accountant system where you should input imports and exports, no-no, but you'll maybe need to buy a business or simply roleplay a business (such as selling shoes, custom made jewelry etc.) to prove your income when you're eventually being questioned about your huge income.

Simply the system will work like this:

1. You sell a glock for 30k.
  2. Either you store it in your house/car/business/friend/etc (Just like a real criminal) -Nobody sees, you can just stock piles of cash forever.
  3. Or you can put it in your bank.
  4. If you put for example: 30k at once
  5. Online SD/PD detectives, maybe DA (idk) will get a screen notification. (Which they can also take a note and post on their private forums for further investigation)
  6. Then you'll be questioned for this money -- This part is pure RP because the PD/SD can just decide not to care about you after checking your criminal record.

Explaining the source of this money, the outcome etc. is again pure RP. Police might believe that this money is coming from your job in 24/7 store, trucking job or whatever - or they can charge you with money laundering - maybe try to use it as evidence of your distrubition of drugs/weapons

Relevant Commands/Items: /checkbankalerts (??) /checktransactions ID(??)

How will it benefit the server?: GTA:W is a very hard-core RP server and It has numerous systems which just focus on very tiny details. With this system, criminals will have to think about how to explain their huge income. Also law enforcement detectives will have bunch of cases and chances for interesting interactions. It's a whole new opportunity for a "white collar crime". Also new opportunities for GOV, DoJ and pretty much every legal business. 

Edited by latenight

except your local pd won't get alerted if you put some money into your account. that's not something that the banks inform law enforcement of willingly, and it's not something that's done by local law enforcement either. while i agree that some sort of a system should be in place here, you need to understand that in modern day US there's a lot of bureaucracy surrounding money transfers (i.e. form 8300 - Report of Cash Payments Over $10,000 in a Trade or Business) and I don't think we can trust either PD or SD to approach this in a fair manner. only some form of a state counterpart of IRS would make sense.

• Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, i dont wanna od in LA said:

except your local pd won't get alerted if you put some money into your account. that's not something that the banks inform law enforcement of willingly, and it's not something that's done by local law enforcement either. while i agree that some sort of a system should be in place here, you need to understand that in modern day US there's a lot of bureaucracy surrounding money transfers (i.e. form 8300 - Report of Cash Payments Over $10,000 in a Trade or Business) and I don't think we can trust either PD or SD to approach this in a fair manner. only some form of a state counterpart of IRS would make sense.

The amounts and the authorized people can be discussed in order to come up with a good system obviously. However, I personally don't agree with coming up with yet another agency such as IRS, It'd be too much bureaucracy for me. The PD getting alerted part is just a quick solution that I came up with since we have no real people roleplaying in the banks but maybe GOV can handle this, maybe access the logfiles of bank transactions etc. 

4 minutes ago, latenight said:

Why don't we just make a system that notifies law enforcement detectives or whatever department, when a certain amount of money is deposited in someone's bank account in a short time period?

Simple answer to this:

Because while it would create interesting rp for those pushing illegal money around it'd make those operating legitimate businesses (and thus also regularly having to move money, just that it's legal and taxed) the constant targets.

Eventually LEOs would be overflowed with messages about bank transfers, of which , as much as people love to rp moneylaundering, the bigger part would actually be not of interest for law enforcers as it stems from totally legitimate business funds earned for tickets, visitors and product sales.

3 minutes ago, i dont wanna od in LA said:

except your local pd won't get alerted if you put some money into your account

Yeah, hence let's not even go there- for aforementioned reasons, a simplified system intended to give those who do launder money an additional "ha-ha!"-check on committing their crimes opposedto just roleplay it, will hit the wrong persons.

Every business that caters to an audience moves more money in a night when opening, and even in well running ones revenues can vary strongly from opening to opening.

So that 30k glock money won't be noticed by this system.

9 minutes ago, i dont wanna od in LA said:

I don't think we can trust either PD or SD to approach this in a fair manner

Even if we do: The suggested system is misguiding, as it's way to simplified and won't actually direct them in the way of people who launder money , but the very opposite.

Besides easily slipping under the radar, there'd also be way to simple "ic" options to cheat around the system if it matters ("Hey Joey, send me the money for last week's batch in small transactions topping 9,999 max so we don't trigger the bank money laundering systems, and send half of it through Sarah! Ha, we're so smart, them feds got nothing on us!")

3 minutes ago, knppel said:

Simple answer to this:

Because while it would create interesting rp for those pushing illegal money around it'd make those operating legitimate businesses (and thus also regularly having to move money, just that it's legal and taxed) the constant targets.

Eventually LEOs would be overflowed with messages about bank transfers, of which , as much as people love to rp moneylaundering, the bigger part would actually be not of interest for law enforcers as it stems from totally legitimate business funds earned for tickets, visitors and product sales.

Yeah, hence let's not even go there- for aforementioned reasons, a simplified system intended to give those who do launder money an additional "ha-ha!"-check on committing their crimes opposedto just roleplay it, will hit the wrong persons.

Every business that caters to an audience moves more money in a night when opening, and even in well running ones revenues can vary strongly from opening to opening.

So that 30k glock money won't be noticed by this system.

Even if we do: The suggested system is misguiding, as it's way to simplified and won't actually direct them in the way of people who launder money , but the very opposite.

Besides easily slipping under the radar, there'd also be way to simple "ic" options to cheat around the system if it matters ("Hey Joey, send me the money for last week's batch in small transactions topping 9,999 max so we don't trigger the bank money laundering systems, and send half of it through Sarah! Ha, we're so smart, them feds got nothing on us!")

i agree with some of your points but what i rather meant is that we'd need a fully set up economy (including all the stuff like form 8300 and income taxes, along with some server forms that would cater to certain types of transactions (like selling vehicles) or receiving 1k for each person entering your business. in other words i do agree that it would be really dope to have a functional system like this, thus forcing criminals (not only drug dealers or gun traffickers, but also people involved in white collar crimes etc.) to act a little bit smarter, however this just isn't feasible if we're to go down the very simplied route. state irs-counterpart would be the perfect solution here, as IRS is a federal agency and so would make little to no sense, given the fact that there's no federal DOJ and federal courts on the server. in other words; tax evasion and money laundering - yes, half-assed scripts forcing you to establish some sort of meta to get away with crime - no.

• Upvote 1
34 minutes ago, i dont wanna od in LA said:

in other words i do agree that it would be really dope to have a functional system like this

a functional system would be a whole different matter, no question- but yeah, we listed most reasons why this simplified one won't do much good (as it's both not realistic and not practically appliable in our virtual reality to good benefit either- the ha-ha factor of splitting funds to evade a script wears off fast, to stick with that).

Not feasible I sign indeed. Not this way.

No, this straight up isn't feasible. IRL PD and SD would need a warrant to see personal financials. There has to be probably cause. 

Now, I'm all for rp and IRL being compromised if it helps create good rp but I only see this as making it even harder for criminal factions and or creating more work that might not even lead anywhere for understaffed divisions of PD and SD. 

I'm not convinced this would actually improve the server or create quality roleplay so much as limit it by creating a tedious system.

Alternatively, they could have a revenue service who looks at their total assets and compares their taxes to it, they might be able to catch differences depending on whether or not the cash items count towards assets but aren't taxed. Or some kind of division that feasibly tracks money trails ONCE they have probably cause.

4 hours ago, i dont wanna od in LA said:

This essentially sums it up, yeah. 

The ones who would notice inconsistencies would be the IRS, but the last time I asked about them (back in 2017 I think?), I was told this agency didn't exist IC :x 

That said, I have to agree with the OP on one thing: it would be cool to have some more options for financial crimes in general ^^ 

• Wuhtah locked this topic