Add government-owned housing (+ motel changes?)

Aquila

Detailed Description

Some of us players might want to live in afforable, government-owned housing without inflating someone else's already fat wallet. It's no mystery that too many people have more than a million dollars in their bank accounts, and I for one don't want to have to make them richer for absolutely no reason or benefit to myself.

I propose that there's specific buildings available to rent as housing, and the rent goes towards the government only, or the server, but not to players. There could be drawbacks like a small interior and little to no storage space, I don't care. It's a bit silly that you make a new character with a purpose, but you have to go through the mundane process of finding an apartment (house if you're super lucky for some reason) to rent at extortionate prices. It shouldn't have to be like this - playing on a game server should be about having fun within reason, not working unnecessarily.

Additionally, I was told that motels are owned and not rented? Correct me if I'm wrong. If I am indeed right, this has to change because way back, motels were supposed to be rentable (I got refunded 100% after I bought one because of some upcoming change) but I have no clue whether they are. I understand that there's a hotel feature that's not used at all, but that's obviously different. In short: we need cheaper, limited-feature housing for our characters that shouldn't be homeless.

Relevant Commands/Items

None

How will it benefit the server?

Stops this absolutely terrible economy inflation, and also stops the steroid-induced capitalism we're seeing on the server right now. I'd rather rent a room and have the money completely vanish than into someone else's pocket without them putting no work in.

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, Aquila said:

Additionally, I was told that motels are owned and not rented? Correct me if I'm wrong. If I am indeed right, this has to change because way back, motels were supposed to be rentable (I got refunded 100% after I bought one because of some upcoming change) but I have no clue whether they are. I understand that there's a hotel feature that's not used at all, but that's obviously different. In short: we need cheaper, limited-feature housing for our characters that shouldn't be homeless.

Motels are owned by the server and are made rentable for players. Just rent a motel room if you dont want to a rent a property from another player. 

Given the current trend of home-hording, leaving only six-digit properties... 

I support this suggestion. This would further disincentivize the ongoing trend of housing being held hostage. Even better, we could probably even tie in requirements for assets to be beneath a certain amount in order to rent these government properties.

+1

17 hours ago, Rushing said:

Motels are owned by the server and are made rentable for players. Just rent a motel room if you dont want to a rent a property from another player. 

Excellent, that's a step in the right direction.

16 hours ago, DasFroggy said:

Given the current trend of home-hording, leaving only six-digit properties... 

I support this suggestion. This would further disincentivize the ongoing trend of housing being held hostage. Even better, we could probably even tie in requirements for assets to be beneath a certain amount in order to rent these government properties.

+1

Thanks for the support. We had house shortages when the server started too, but eventually there were inactivity wipes and a lot of places became active again, like Mirror Park.

15 hours ago, i dont wanna od in LA said:

That would be pretty cool, yes. I believe you should take it up with IC state senate or city govt. though.

I could, but it would still need a lot of developing OOC.

Houses/apartments in the projects should be something you apply for and provide a sensible character backstory for then pay a weekly rent for, much like you would with a lease from PM

Motels are entirely useless because anyone can walk in and rent, essentially making it impossible to store anything there without it being stolen

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/26/2021 at 5:55 AM, Corey_ said:

Houses/apartments in the projects should be something you apply for and provide a sensible character backstory for then pay a weekly rent for, much like you would with a lease from PM

Motels are entirely useless because anyone can walk in and rent, essentially making it impossible to store anything there without it being stolen

1000% agree

With the current playerbase I don't know why this hasn't been done sooner. There are so many unused buildings/complexes in the server that are just sitting there that could be used for this purpose. Once these government owned houses/apartments are rented by a player a certain % of their income should be deducted upon payday. God knows how many people just stack paychecks just to buy expensive cars while their characters remain homeless because the opportunity cost of doing so is not being to roleplay how they want to or being homeless. 

I agree there should be housing yes but disagree that just anyone could get it. It should be directed towards newcomers, say 50 hours below, which is more than enough for said player to get used to the server and find a job to get money.

• Wuhtah locked this topic