Remove #politics from Discord

MalteseWolf

1 hour ago, Maca said:

But with that way of speaking, maybe we should remove the #cryptocurrency channel then? Hey, fuck it, while we're at at... let's also remove #suggestions and #announcements since we have a forum category for that right?

It makes no sense. Don't fix what's not broken. If you dislike #politics, don't read #politics???

Taking someone's point to the extreme in an attempt to invalidate the point is not the best way to win an argument. Especially when you don't even do it right. Allow me to explain:

• #announcements is restricted and only certain people can post there. It therefore requires no moderation and has a specific purpose that is relevant to the server and community - to give people who use Discord quick updates on important things that are happening.
  • #suggestions does not exist? I think you mean #support, and in that case, see the above point - it gives people who require support a quicker way of getting it than posting a forum thread and waiting for an admin to see it. It is good for small things that can be done quickly.
  • #cryptotalk is the closest you got to having a valid point. It has no real purpose of existing in the community so it could very well go and it'd be none the worse around here. But, unlike politics and religion and other "hot topics", most people are not emotionally attached to cryptos enough to start an endless war in their name (yet?). Much like sports and music, it is a fairly neutral topic which a larger amount of people can discuss like mature adults or, at the very least, agree to disagree on and move on with their lives. So I see no need to remove it.

And as regards to "not fixing what is broken", #politics is clearly broken. Notice how it has already fueled an ongoing feud between players that were told to stay away from each other, resulting in a member of one side being punished and a member of the other being verbally warned. I believe you yourself are the latter?

I personally support the suggestion, but I also believe that channels won't hold people back from violating the common courtesy rule. If you take one channel out because people are being rude or whatever the case may be, they'll just flock to another channel and go right back at it. Whether or not this suggestion goes through, I also personally believe that we need to monitor discord chat a bit more closely than we are now.

I agree honestly.There's no reason to have it on the discord. If people want to have those types of discussions they can always just use their own discord channels and DMs.  If people absolutely had to have a politics area it should be on the forum. With the amount of spam you can't 100% moderate discord and it's not certain if you're getting the whole side of a situation behind all of it. A forum keeps an easily searchable record and has less spam since it's not instantaneous.

With that being said, discord enforcement should be taken more seriously. It is really fucked up that IK there are a few people that aren't on the discord (Even though they need it to get help from staff that aren't on) because of harassment on the discord. One actually told me that when they brought it up to staff back then the people got told to take it to #banter to keep doing the flaming. 

"Trolling" isn't inherently the problem and not every single thing on #general or #politics is that. The issue is with flaming and people genuinely believing that they can get away with that behavior. 

What @Maca said basically. He's got a point. If I don't like something on the internet, I simply don't click it. If you're getting offended of simple words on the internet, then my suggestion is to remain offline maybe.

I say no to this suggestion.

Edited by TeodoraMk

@MalteseWolf The report against Cici, if that's what you're throwing a dig at me for, was nothing to do with politics. He said a child should lose his life because he dislikes a person. That's sickening shit and has nothing to do with politics which is why that argument began. A person attacking me shouldn't warrant the removal of #politics.

My point still stands. If you can't handle #politics them don't read, contribute or even click on the fucking sub-channel? It's common sense, if you're offended then avoid it.

1 minute ago, TeodoraMk said:

What @Maca said basically. He's got a point. If I don't like something on the internet, I simply don't click it. If you're getting offended of simple words on the internet, then my suggestion is to remain offline maybe.

People shouldn't be told to stay away from channels if they're being offended by what's being said. There are rules on discord that pertain to common courtesy and as far as anyone is concerned, those rules will stay there.

• Stefan locked this topic