Radio range

Symka

9 minutes ago, Ink said:

Fun fact, even shortwave radio has an effective range of about 40 miles (64 KM for you people who don't use freedom units).

If you walk around with this in your hands I don't see a problem, but you don't.
ONE6iWu.jpg

Edited by Symka
  • Upvote 2
Just now, Symka said:

Then use /phone, not /radio.

Huh, great idea, I'd love to--oh, wait, shoot, except our /phone function seems to lack the capability to do basic things like group calls, or group text messaging. Currently only /radio can do that.

But I'm still trying to figure out your core argument here, Symka. You're saying it's unrealistic for people to communicate over a range of more than a mile or two. I'm trying to see where your evidence for this supposition.

1 minute ago, Ink said:

Huh, great idea, I'd love to--oh, wait, shoot, except our /phone function seems to lack the capability to do basic things like group calls, or group text messaging. Currently only /radio can do that.

I mean, you are in the game suggestions part of the forums. Suggest it? 

Just now, Ink said:

But I'm still trying to figure out your core argument here, Symka. You're saying it's unrealistic for people to communicate over a range of more than a mile or two. I'm trying to see where your evidence for this supposition.

Here’s some evidence; most people don’t walk around with a radio. That’s the problem, not the technical and radiospectral capabilities of wavelength radio technology, but that everyone is running around with it. The radio substitutes phone functions that don’t exist, the easy solution is expending phone functionality. 

13 minutes ago, effion said:

But you use /radio ?

Correct. The /radio function can be accessed by any character on the server whether or not they purchase any additional hardware. There is no rule anywhere which dictates that /radio needs to be roleplayed as a walkie talkie out of the 1980's. I personally roleplay it as a radio app on my phone, along the lines of Zello, ProPTT2, Voxer, VoicePing, Breakr, Two Way, Walkie-talkie -- Communication, Walkietooth, or more.

If there is an expectation for people to roleplay /radio strictly as a walkie talkie or some other old-school piece of tech in 2021, so be it, but it should actually force people to purchase the appropriate device from an electronics store. And, ideally, the server should have realistic alternatives for groups communicating. There should also then be a way for people to hear what other people's radio channels are saying, because if someone in real life used a 1980's-ass walkie talkie in front of me, I'd be able to hear what their friends are saying on the other line.

10 minutes ago, mggy said:

I mean, you are in the game suggestions part of the forums. Suggest it? 

People have suggested group calls and group text messages before, and those suggestions--along with the nearly, what, 63 pages of suggestions? Are still pending. Let's not pretend "make a suggestion" is a valid argument against someone offering a counter-argument to an existing suggestion.

Fact: This suggestion makes the ridiculous argument that it's unrealistic people can transmit messages to people more than a mile or two away. That's absolutely retarded on a fundamental level, and objectively false. Even the cheapest $10 portable radio/walkie talkies available on the market today transmit beyond a few miles. And more importantly, radios and walkie talkies are obsolete in 2021 except for specialized use because every single civilian with a smartphone has access to more robust options for civilian use.

10 minutes ago, eTaylor said:

Here’s some evidence; most people don’t walk around with a radio. That’s the problem, not the technical and radiospectral capabilities of wavelength radio technology, but that everyone is running around with it. The radio substitutes phone functions that don’t exist, the easy solution is expending phone functionality. 

People don't walk around with radios on GTA:W because 1) there exist no script radio devices you must buy, and 2) no one in real life walks around with radios except cops and security guards. Yet even though people in real life have stopped carrying radios and walkie talkies, they still are able to communicate with groups of people instantaneously throughout their day using this magical device called a cellphone. They can even, despite Symka's frustrations, talk with people thousands of miles away instantaneously. 

Edited by Ink
Typos driving my OCD off the charts.
8 minutes ago, Ink said:

People don't walk around with radios on GTA:W because 1) there exist no script radio devices you must buy.

I will add it to the suggestion, if you couldn't use /radio out of the blue that would cut off a massive part of people using it without any RP.

• Wuhtah locked this topic