Missing person system.

MomoIsHere

24 minutes ago, xime said:

This however isn't accessible by civilians, which is what the suggestion is based of.
Supporting, and allow Fire Department to add people too!

Unless I'm misreading, the suggestion is a command that anyone can use to report someone as missing with a public list that can be viewed at any police department.

My concern here is the general lack of interaction or roleplay. If anything, people should actually try to reach out to PD/SD to report someone as missing (eg: Call 911, speak to a deputy/officer, they file a report/place a BOLO, detectives follow-up, Public Information units issue and distribute missing person flyers, etc). That's where a very slight tweak to the current MDC Flagging system may be ideal.

Which, on that note - I don't think I've even seen a single "missing person" 911. Doing a quick call records search on the MDC shows that, out of 20,704 total 911s fielded since April 2020, and using a "situation keyword" of "missing," there are about 25 "missing person" calls. The most recent I'm seeing was on October 31st and the 2nd most recent was October 11th. If anything, people who know someone's missing and are concerned should call the cops instead of "type command and forget about it."

Also, not a fan of FD adding people to the list; that may promote circumventing filing an actual police report. That, and I don't know a single jurisdiction where the fire department can report or formally list people as stolen.

Edited by Redman.

In my eyes, this is something that can easily be completed with current systems - Police currently have the ability to add an information market to someone's MDC page, and this marker can be customised to anything (For example - "Missing person from Las Lagunas BLVD, 15/11/2020"

For this reason, I don't believe this suggestion is required in my eyes. 

5 hours ago, Redman. said:

Unless I'm misreading, the suggestion is a command that anyone can use to report someone as missing with a public list that can be viewed at any police department.

My concern here is the general lack of interaction or roleplay. If anything, people should actually try to reach out to PD/SD to report someone as missing (eg: Call 911, speak to a deputy/officer, they file a report/place a BOLO, detectives follow-up, Public Information units issue and distribute missing person flyers, etc). That's where a very slight tweak to the current MDC Flagging system may be ideal.

Which, on that note - I don't think I've even seen a single "missing person" 911. Doing a quick call records search on the MDC shows that, out of 20,704 total 911s fielded since April 2020, and using a "situation keyword" of "missing," there are about 25 "missing person" calls. The most recent I'm seeing was on October 31st and the 2nd most recent was October 11th. If anything, people who know someone's missing and are concerned should call the cops instead of "type command and forget about it."

Also, not a fan of FD adding people to the list; that may promote circumventing filing an actual police report. That, and I don't know a single jurisdiction where the fire department can report or formally list people as stolen.

I totally agree with you. I'm supporting this suggestion, but only if the members of PD/SD are allowed to use the command to add people on the missing list. This way, the people who would want to report someone's missing would need to interact with PD/SD to get the person added on the list.

2 hours ago, .Pluto. said:

I totally agree with you. I'm supporting this suggestion, but only if the members of PD/SD are allowed to use the command to add people on the missing list. This way, the people who would want to report someone's missing would need to interact with PD/SD to get the person added on the list.

I wrote it like that. Only PD/SD would be able to manipulate the list. Otherwise the whole system would be flawed.

Edited by MomoIsHere
7 hours ago, Redman. said:

Nah you did misread it.

/addmissingperson [Name] + /removemissingperson [Name] (accessable for Law Enforcment.)

3 hours ago, Pathway said:

Nah you did misread it.

3 hours ago, MomoIsHere said:

Edited it to make it clearer.

Shoops, right then. If it's a cop-only command on all counts, I've got no real objections to it - Would be good to mention the name of the cop who set them to stolen, time last seen, & brief narrative fields as well. It would also have to remain accurate through restarts and not purge every time like the "report your vehicle stolen" command does.

Edit: But still very much more in favor of some minor MDC adjustments.

Edited by Redman.

this is only really applicable for situations where you're OOCly aware that the character you're reporting is actually ICly missing, and it isn't just the case that the player hasn't been able to log in/is just going inactive from an OOC standpoint and thus isn't logging in anymore. what we DON'T want is a huge missing person's list that has a lot of unfindable people in it because they're just never going to log in, means resources will be spread too far and the people who actually have IC disappearances may be missed out due to the work put into the OOC ones. (if all that makes sense.)

in any case, this is already a possibility with the MDC information tags we can put in.

11 hours ago, Redman. said:

Having a "M - Missing Person" caution code on the MDC would be a great add-on, and having it trigger an ALPR flag would be perfect.

decent idea, @xanx?

15 hours ago, joshua said:

this is only really applicable for situations where you're OOCly aware that the character you're reporting is actually ICly missing, and it isn't just the case that the player hasn't been able to log in/is just going inactive from an OOC standpoint and thus isn't logging in anymore. what we DON'T want is a huge missing person's list that has a lot of unfindable people in it because they're just never going to log in, means resources will be spread too far and the people who actually have IC disappearances may be missed out due to the work put into the OOC ones. (if all that makes sense.)

in any case, this is already a possibility with the MDC information tags we can put in.

decent idea, @xanx?

ALPR was not designed around the Caution Codes system, not to mention that the ALPR is unrelated to missing persons and I don't agree with the idea that it should have these warnings come up. As for the caution code alone, it is something which I can add, but I'm fairly certain some people will forget to remove this code once the person is found.

• mj2002 locked this topic