Drug Market Revamp

afrosamurai

Just now, Juicebox said:

I have seen people say they don't want to be subjected to an addiction script

If 5 people who actively rp addictions tell me they don't need a script to rp it right now I'd shut my mouth. I genuinely don't think there's even 5 people on this entire server who rp addictions/returning customers. 

Also, there's already an addiction script, it's just really shitty.

1 minute ago, Pathway said:

the number one reason is addiction to be honest, which isn't present ingame. People use cocaine all the time for shootouts, but they only use them for shootouts which is the problem, if a working addiction script was added, people would be forced into using drugs similair to addicts are IRL instead of using them when convenient. The number of people who use coke for shootouts is a lot, the number who then RP an addiction as a result? Little, if not non existent.

Yup, and for many people that addiction is created by or encouraged by the working environment, which is why I proposed drugs affecting job scripts. For many people on the server, much of their character is defined by their job or what they do for a living. If drugs could affect that, more would explore it, I reckon.

Just now, Koko said:

Yup, and for many people that addiction is created by or encouraged by the working environment, which is why I proposed drugs affecting job scripts. For many people on the server, much of their character is defined by their job or what they do for a living. If drugs could affect that, more would explore it, I reckon.

That's a superb idea, the demand for drugs would go through the roof. Legal roleplayers that do jobs that pay by the hour would go nuts knowing that it'd give them extra pay when they only have to pay 300-500 dollars for a small percentage gain. 

12 minutes ago, Koko said:

10 minutes ago, Bandolero said:

That's a superb idea, the demand for drugs would go through the roof. Legal roleplayers that do jobs that pay by the hour would go nuts knowing that it'd give them extra pay when they only have to pay 300-500 dollars for a small percentage gain. 

I second this. I was having this conversation with @effion last night on Discord. Legal role players don't RP around the drug scene hardly at all, as if everyone is clean as a whistle. I'm sure some do, but it should definitely be a higher percentage. At the same time, drug dealers need to continue to reach out of their comfort area and offer an easier way to reach them. Your standard legal RP'er isn't going to head into a gang or mob-controlled territory just because they want drugs. A lot of dealers work at clubs/bars and work ordinary jobs to make connections that way.

Edited by Juicebox

Too much supply, not enough demand. The simple answer is for IFM to supply people with less, but again I should reiterate that the only thing any of us should be hoping for to save the drug 'economy' is the long-awaited drug update, NPCs are a solution that will yield a hundred more problems that will result in either LEOs MGing the location of drug buyer NPCs or alternatively when that camel has its back broken, it will give criminals more or less free rein to sell drugs with OOC protection, LEOs being in fear of busting people and being accused of metagame/powergame. The solution proposed is a Band-Aid, not a cure.

As much as it would suck for drug suppliers, they should be cut off for the time being so that the drugs that are currently in the economy can be properly sold off, again this would do the opposite of benefitting myself/faction, but is clearly the only realistic band-aid solution to this problem. Cut off supply, let the drugs that are currently in circulation be consumed, and once that has been done, suppliers can get back to it, if there were some statistics that could reflect upon the consumption of drugs to the ratio of drugs pumped into the economy, that would probably be how IFM could monitor and supply drugs in the future (solution pre-drug overhaul).

Again, what we should be encouraging from development and management is the completion of the drug overhaul, we should see how that plays out and work to improve that system when it's in its infancy so that IFM can properly regulate the drug economy. I don't know what is taking so long for it to be completed, but instead of fighting for arbitrary, short-term solutions, we should be advocating for good change that will provide everybody; drug users and drug dealers alike with more rewarding roleplay and benefits from their roles.

• Upvote 3

IFM should supply people with less and provide more options, if you do a complete shutdown and re open in a couple months, any supplier can just jack up the prices creating another problem.

Also I think we're forgetting the main problem, even if we stop the supply, people are not using the drugs currently on the server, it'll just be passed back and forth, the issue will not be solved.

People say RPG and "Drug Wars" yet they don't understand a lot of the legal jobs are scripted and are RPGish as well as that the game needs OOC regulations to emulate in real life more accurately.

"Drug Wars"? irl there is something "The War On Drugs" and it's the backbone of criminal organizations all over the world. The NPC thing should have to be scripted in a clever way so it can't be abused and it's fair, many people should be active in the spot for it to work, things like that. LEO's could try find the spots via IC and all would be more accurate to a real neighborhood. Gang Leaders would have to choose wisely on how to do it, a lot of thought coud be given to the script conditions and such. 

I have to say this is a topic tha thas never ever been solved in any RP community and GTAW could be the one to come up with a real system for it. 

What it would bring is some extra money for hood roleplayers and a flow of narcotics that is more realistic, instead of them just spree robbing or doing trucker jobs, they could earn some based on good neighborhood roleplay and portrayal. But I still think it's the solution since all gangs should have their dope fiends at their blocks as it happens in the real world.

• Upvote 1

Been reading 15 pages of people talking about it, didn't see nothing that would fix the problem. 

"Oh but everyone's using cocaine before shootouts!"

Yes, they are. That's the thing, if you want something like drugs to be consumed in a video game, these drugs need to have advantages and disadvantages.

What we need to do is try to find balance and understand that as much as you and me want this server to be as close as possible to reality you have to understand that a good amount of the playerbase will simply say no to it, because the cons overcome the pros. 

I think I've never roleplayed a character that wasn't a drug addict in the past like, five years, but consuming any type of drugs here are simply a pain in the ass. WE DON'T NEED VISUALS. You simply will never come close to mimic what it feels like taking something in real life, so why keep it? I sincerely don't understand why my screen needs to turn green and start shaking just because I want to roleplay smoking a joint.

I only actually consume drugs nowadays for the sake of roleplay, these visuals are out of hand to me.

Is it clear why there's drugs everywhere? Because nobody consumes them.

You don't need to revamp the market, there's drugs for everyone and even if you decide to give them only ounces a week there'll still be a lot, The majority is not consuming at all. Revamp the drugs, find your balance between the pros and cons and think about what you need to do for the players to consume. 

Or simply remove these effects, they're just plain stupid.

A server poll would be very useful in this kind of situation, if an admin feels like making it of course. Something that the whole server responds to, understand why drugs are not being consumed by your regular player, not just the ones involved in illegal roleplay.

Edited by Homie
  • Upvote 1

I think people need to realizing that fixing the drug system/economy on this server does more then just fix the drug RP on the server or add a little thing for illegal RPer's to do. It fixes WAY more then that. 

Drugs, the driving factor behind a vast majority of criminal organizations is one of the least robust and enjoyable systems on the server.

Like @UTOPIA stated, we can sit here and think of band aid solutions all we want. That doesn't change the fact that the drug system on this server is broken and needs to be fixed. I understand that the new inventory system is supposed to bring some cool new ways to do items inside items, which I admit will make moving drugs a bit more fun. However, smuggling drugs wasn't an issue. The update we NEED has to address how drugs enter the server and how and why they exit.

• Upvote 1
  • Wuhtah locked and unlocked this topic
  • Wuhtah locked this topic