Arsons

Sacred

Just now, imsilver said:

There should also be a discussion about destroying the businesses, a while back I completely DEMOLISHED a store and saw it being open a few hours later.

5 minutes ago, Sacred said:

What I think is — smashing the windows of a business, etc, ruining it, basically making it close for a certain period of time is implemented.

So, in this case, let's say you smash the windows of a business, completely ruin it, turn the aisles down, steal everything, etc. It's closed down for a week where the owners need to roleplay repairing it, etc — and they can't open it for that one week. After that, they can continue roleplaying with it. A temporary business closure.

Then, there's arson. Arson would render the business never usable again, and like I said, I think they could get maybe a percentage of the property's worth as people spend over a million on properties sometimes.

• Applaud 1

It'd help if there was a proper construction/renovating company that roleplayed the actual construction process. Otherwise? Having your business closed down after an arson absolutely sucks, almost no roleplay except waiting for an unknown amount of time until its okay to reopen RP wise.

There are incidents of where a club was burnt to the point of the roof collapsing, FD having the break and carve vents into the roof and windows in order to knock the fire down. Afterwards? The club reopened a couple days later. Perfectly fine.

Just now, KinnyWynny said:

It'd help if there was a proper construction/renovating company that roleplayed the actual construction process. Otherwise? Having your business closed down after an arson absolutely sucks, almost no roleplay except waiting for an unknown amount of time until its okay to reopen RP wise.

There are incidents of where a club was burnt to the point of the roof collapsing, FD having the break and carve vents into the roof and windows in order to knock the fire down. Afterwards? The club reopened a couple days later. Perfectly fine.

Arsons usually happen between faction conflicts, or when it really gets to that, when someone refuses to pay extortion fees.

Why should X faction burn down X faction's business if all that happens is they RP renovating and reopen 14 days later? What's the point in going through the hassle of getting an arson request accepted? Arsons are meant to be a big loss for the losing faction, and something that should maybe make the losing faction go - "Hey, we wanna sit-down and talk about this". You don't lose anything if you can just open 14 days later with no other repercussions.

Earlier this year we had one our faction's businesses torched (Giovanni's Trattoria), we were told we couldn't use it for two weeks. If my memory serves me right, we had to pay to have it opened again, and I believe we paid a sum to /charity. There definitely could be a set of rules imposed regarding arson of property and the fallout of the action.

• Upvote 1

I think the current rules are fine, but I am not aware of the actual reasoning that would justify burning down a building and how severe/lenient it is. Not being able to operate your business for 14 days is a lot of time. Completely removing a business from you, especially if you are not even affiliated with an illegal faction, would be very severe in my opinion.

• Upvote 2

Having to roleplay fixing it and having the business closed for a week or two is perfectly fair. It does have a bigger impact than you think. If people don't RP it after there's a report section. If it was a validly approved arson then that isn't a issue. If it was "Me mad cus they no pay, I smash!" with zero approval and minimal motive and no gains aside from griefing then chances are you will have one. The latter is far more common than the former. 

My thoughts on this suggest the addition of a script-wise inaccessible property until efforts towards reparations were made. Basically upon finishing the act of arson, the admin in charge would have to determine the damages caused to the property and make a decision on how much of the furniture inside would be destroyed (leaving only floors and walls, if even). The admin would then have to set the entrance of the property as inaccessible/deactivated, meaning it's locked out and nobody can enter it without admins activating it again. Meanwhile the owner, considering if he wants his property back, has to show he has made the effort to consult a construction agency to work on his property, at this point the construction agency would quote him a price for re-construction. If his attempts have succumbed to failure, an admin or preferably Property Management would quote him a price to /charity, this is only to have the property activated and be made accessible again. Now he will choose to either leave it be, hire an interior designer to refurnish it or sell it. I think this could be the optimal option for this kind of activity as it mimics how it goes in real life (minus insrunce) and raises massive monetary inconveniences for the owner, enough to actually make him fear the extorters committing the arson.

Edited by Radhwan
49 minutes ago, DLimit said:

If any thing, make it mandatory to completely renovate the business, as one would have to completely either restore or alter the interior to recover from the destruction of the business.

That would force the some owners to re-buy a donator package, or buy furniture slots to comply with that. It's either that or contracting a furnishing agency. If the furniture system was completely free OOCly, I would agree with you. However, given that there are IRL costs associated with that, I do not think it is fair. It's very iffy to me to give the IC extortionists/arsonists the ability to cause you some IRL expenses.

Just now, TranXify said:

That would force the some owners to re-buy a donator package, or buy furniture slots to comply with that. It's either that or contracting a furnishing agency. If the furniture system was completely free OOCly, I would agree with you. However, given that there are IRL costs associated with that, I do not think it is fair. It's very iffy to me to give the IC extortionists/arsonists the ability to cause you some IRL expenses.

One would simply delete their furniture in order to re-create the interior in a different manner with their designated slots. Otherwise, as you've stated, the acceptable option would be to hire a contractor. Purchasing a furnishing agency is an I.C. concept, as one would hire them with I.C. wealth rather than real life currency.

Should be a good consequence for having one's business burned down.