What am I doing wrong?

El Cid

There's tons of legal/illegal factions for you to join really, whether you wish to be a blue-collar, white-collar worker or simply a criminal. It is all up to you. I honestly think that you should focus onto your character entirely, think about his motivations, start with baby steps and keep on developing your character, factions can help a lot with that. Whether it is a career path, social status or such. There is many many characters in LS that contribute to a wide spectrum. You have simple government workers that work in sanitation, you got cab drivers, you got business owners, there's offices for your character to work at, at least I am personally trying to create some sort of an office environment in Integrity Holding. It is really up to your character, however, about the muggings... I have over 850 hours on my character and haven't been mugged once on it, so I guess it's a sheer luck. Once again, it all comes down to what your character is all about, what motivations he has. Does he want more money, does he want to have influence, become famous or whatever else. Once again, you should keep onto realism, that's what makes it fun, at least to me. Specific paths come with specific downsides, if it's blue collar work - frustration, maybe low pay, exhaustion, if it's crime - paranoia, stress and such. Keep in mind that you should keep your character rather limited if you choose to go one way. If you decide to become a legal worker, blue or white collar, your character would be the least likely to go mugging other people or selling drugs out of the blue, unless something fails and your character is forced to do so, that's where development comes in. For starters, try to settle your character down in one area perhaps, get to know the neighborhood, you might find people to role-play around, your character might make friends. Your character has feelings, emotions that make him feel a certain way. Focus on development and your character, that's what is the most fun. Your character is not you, I also find that downsides also often provide additional role-play for you. Just my two cents however.

Like others said before me, factions are a great way to find roleplay. You do not need to join them either, you can find plenty of enjoyment just being a hang around, and as for age, as a hang around it should cause no issues with hanging around a faction of any kind, but if you want to get involved at a late age I'd recommend organized crime in general as it tends to be pretty forging when it comes to age.

It's about in-character relationships.  And, like other posters have mentioned, factions are a good way to to start relationships.  Also, have your character get a job in which he interacts with the public.  Taxi driver, medical clinic worker, something like that.  Find in-character hobby interest groups, so your character has a reason to talk to other characters, and they to him.  Use the Facebrowser app for that.

I appreciate everyones advice and input here, I've been trying to follow it and I'm finding things picking up a bit.  I've got some goals for him now besides the 'high profile' stuff, like buy a house to settle in to, and a neat idea (i think) for a business for him to start.  Also found a few people while delivering crates that I've interacted with and that's been fun.

Another thing I've found fun is creating little side stories for him and roleplaying it out while I'm out delivering or whatnot.  Like arguing with his ex-girlfriend, or busting the chops of the dock workers.  Just little things to entertain myself that might get picked up by others if they want to jump in.

Anywho, I guess I jumped the gun a little bit, so looking forward to see where it all goes.  Thanks again!

• Upvote 2
29 minutes ago, El Cid said:

Another thing I've found fun is creating little side stories for him and roleplaying it out while I'm out delivering or whatnot.  Like arguing with his ex-girlfriend, or busting the chops of the dock workers.

This is the meat and potatoes of roleplaying.  Take it one step further.  What's going on with him that makes him argue with his girlfriend?  Why does he feel the need to bust dock worker chops?  Integrate these motivations into a cohesive whole that gives you a solid well rounded idea of who your character is.  Then use those cohesive motivations as a guide to how he interacts with everybody.  Keep track of his in character experiences and how they would change him.   Watch him develop and change, according to his in-game experiences.

• Upvote 2
On 6/22/2020 at 1:35 AM, El Cid said:

So, I'm about 60 hours in now on my first character on this server, and I can't seem to find anything that interesting to do?  So far, the only things active that I can find are nightclubs, liquor stores and coffee shops.  Which is all well and good, but that's not the only things I'd like to do.  I have a job trucking, but it seems like everyone has a job trucking and just mechanically delivers with a script.  I applied for a small secluded "chop shop" but was denied because they're not giving out mechanic shops anymore?  I've been mugged three times, which was interesting and fun, but I don't want to just be the guy who gets mugged ya know?

Short of mugging people myself or stealing cars for the hell of it, I don't really see a ton to do.  It might be my play time, since I'm US Mountain Time (-6 GMT) so it's super early in the morning for a lot of folks it seems.  Am I just shit out of luck because of that?  Or is there something different I can do maybe?

I don't think you have a proper grasp on the concept of "realistic role-play". You shouldn't have to rely on public events in order to enjoy role-play. Create your own RP.

11 hours ago, El Cid said:

I appreciate everyones advice and input here, I've been trying to follow it and I'm finding things picking up a bit.  I've got some goals for him now besides the 'high profile' stuff, like buy a house to settle in to, and a neat idea (i think) for a business for him to start.  Also found a few people while delivering crates that I've interacted with and that's been fun.

Another thing I've found fun is creating little side stories for him and roleplaying it out while I'm out delivering or whatnot.  Like arguing with his ex-girlfriend, or busting the chops of the dock workers.  Just little things to entertain myself that might get picked up by others if they want to jump in.

Anywho, I guess I jumped the gun a little bit, so looking forward to see where it all goes.  Thanks again!

I hope it works out. When starting a new character it can be tough to decide on their final personality / goals before you've got to play as them for a bit. All it takes is to find the group that best fits with the type of person your character will eventually become. Even if it starts by striking up a conversation with another person at the gas station, sometimes the little things IC can turn out to be the biggest points of development and really start something. Have you considered joining an official trucking company? I'm not sure how the profit compares to driving solo but it could be the opportunity to get experience in being part of an organization while doing roleplay you're already comfortable with. Good luck ?

• 1 month later...

First forum comment, Hi. As a fairly new player myself I appreciate some of these comments. I think it's kind of hard to join a faction, I mean how would you even go about doing it? It seems like everyone is locked into their own stories and its hard for them to give someone else a chance. Not to mention, if you're trying to just "go with the flow", chances are you're not going to run into a faction that fits what you're looking for. I'd love to find a faction of some sorts, but it seems like everyone is too buys RP'ing inside of their properties. 

But like I said, I only have 170 something hours and its just been my experience with similar time and issues on LSRP. 

• Upvote 1