Public transport support

house-max

Just now, Morgan said:

If they get a weekly paycheck, they would want to RP it. But obviously we have to push people to use buses, and this is where expensive rentals come into play. But the thing is, we also have taxis which only has increased after the restriction on rentals was set up. Having two different parties competing over the same customers will harm them both. This idea would work better with more players.

Taxis are really expensive compared to buses. For instance, an avg taxi driver would charge about $150 for LSIA to somewhere like Vespucci. A bus would cost no more than $20 or $30.

I know Rage is a funny client so it's dependable.

But I'd support NPC buses and metro trains with a looping route. They run 24/7. You have to pay to use them, the bus cheaper than the metro train, but the bus is slower and stops more frequently but does go more places. They're still ran by a player owned company, and players can take over the routes at anytime - putting the NPC transportation out of service once they reach their final stop. But transporation still continues even if the players aren't active. An NPC bot would be sat behind the wheel, if injured or killed, the vehicle stops. It uses the same AI functions as in-game, so if a vehicle or person is in the way it'll stop, but there still may be times when it can't stop quick enough and cause a collision. 

This would allow people to use public transport to get around when the taxis aren't available, something that happens frequently. It may also encourage transportation RP; because it's frequent some people may rely on the transporation to get around and groups may gather on public transport who RP with each other. 

On a side-note, it may also lead to RP involving the underground tunnels. Police chases down there are risky business and will likely result in death and destruction. Search and rescue teams needing to be mobilised. Homeless people who live in the tunnels have to take extra care. And, tragically, those who use metro trains to take their lives. 

GTA5_Metrotrain_Story-5811-1080.jpg

Edited by Cobra
  • Upvote 1
8 minutes ago, ibbi said:

Taxis are really expensive compared to buses. For instance, an avg taxi driver would charge about $150 for LSIA to somewhere like Vespucci. A bus would cost no more than $20 or $30.

But it only works if he has a lot of passengers to compensate. But I'm not concerned by prices, I'm concerned that people would prefer one or the other, which will kill one of them.

Advanced issues found

?
3 minutes ago, Cobra said:

I know Rage is a funny client so it's dependable.

But I'd support NPC buses and metro trains with a looping route. They run 24/7. You have to pay to use them, the bus cheaper than the metro train, but the bus is slower and stops more frequently. They're still ran by a player owned company, and players can take over the routes at anytime - putting the NPC transportation out of service once they reach their final stop. But transporation still continues even if the players aren't active. An NPC bot would be sat behind the wheel, if injured or killed, the vehicle stops - if possible a collision detection stops it. 

This would allow people to use public transport to get around when the taxis aren't available, something that happens frequently. It may also encourage transportation RP; because it's frequent some people may rely on the transporation to get around and groups may gather on public transport who RP with each other. 

On a side-note, it may also lead to RP involving the underground tunnels. Police chases down there are risky business and will likely result in death and destruction. Search and rescue teams needing to be mobilised. Homeless people who live in the tunnels have to take extra care. And, tragically, those who use metro trains to take their lives. 

GREAT IDEA, I'd go for that. And also, NPS's are not always required as nowadays, we have Metros driving themselves.

image.thumb.png.b529c8803530fa66dec5aa2f519c15c0.png

3 hours ago, Morgan said:

But it only works if he has a lot of passengers to compensate. But I'm not concerned by prices, I'm concerned that people would prefer one or the other, which will kill one of them.

If they keep the station list it would not replace taxi..it is much slower, it will not pick u up from.where you are, and will not get you to exactly where u need.

And if you are very unlucky, you might need to take more than just one bus to get to your destination. So if you can pay for taxi you would probably get the taxi. 

3 hours ago, Daylong said:

Don't see any need for script for this, it is being planned on IC'ly already, government is taking care of it by contracting transit companies. At least from what I've seen.

If they do not keep exact routes...it will become just a taxi with a big car ? and if nothing is scripted they could just rush and jump stations to get someone faster to the place they need. 

I think that a checkpoint route with waiting time to each station should exist beside just contracting some companies.

12 hours ago, house-max said:

I think that a checkpoint route with waiting time to each station should exist beside just contracting some companies.

Doubt people would hop in a bus and have the bus driver go from checkpoint to checkpoint and wait for an x-amount of time at these checkpoints.. they're probably better off just calling a friend to pick them up or use /taxi. The idea is nice as it may be realistic, but it's not viable in this setting.

44 minutes ago, D.Devil said:

Doubt people would hop in a bus and have the bus driver go from checkpoint to checkpoint and wait for an x-amount of time at these checkpoints.. they're probably better off just calling a friend to pick them up or use /taxi. The idea is nice as it may be realistic, but it's not viable in this setting.

well it is very important that indeed some people would use taxi, the ideea is not to kill the taxi service.
But when a big ride from Paleto Bay to LS is needed for sure a taxi will get up to 1000$ maybe it will be 10 minutes faster... but is 950$ more expensive... ? .

3 minutes ago, house-max said:

well it is very important that indeed some people would use taxi, the ideea is not to kill the taxi service.
But when a big ride from Paleto Bay to LS is needed for sure a taxi will get up to 1000$ maybe it will be 10 minutes faster... but is 950$ more expensive... ? .

Don't think a bus can and would be cheaper in this setting either, taxi's would be used way more frequently and you'd never have more than a handful people in a bus, sure in RL they're way cheaper but they mass transport people, something which we wouldn't be able to do in a server with an average of 250-300people online. Probably a bus would be cheaper as they're slower, but I doubt people would drive around in them 90% cheaper than a taxi. ? Don't forget purchasing a taxi is only 30k, a bus is 114k - they'll most likely run around a bit cheaper than a taxi would.

Edited by D.Devil
  • Upvote 1

I'd love to see trains and the metro be brought to life. Hopefully this is possible with 1.1 around the corner as this would liven up the city just that little bit more and offer a viable mode of transport to those roleplaying poor or those who simply cannot use their vehicles.

I'd personally prefer taking the train from Los Santos to Sandy Shores than driving and believe this would be a nice option to have.

• Upvote 1
  • mj2002 locked this topic