Increase max message length

Shokkoth

Just now, Lmao said:

There is harm in increasing it, an already filled chatbox at a club will be 10 times worse, since people are obnoxious and do 700 character /mes in clubs and bars, without utilizing /melow. I would prefer not enabling these sorts of people to continue this behaviour, it can get very frustrating.

I do see your point there ??

• Upvote 1
16 minutes ago, Jak said:

all the erpers rising up, not needed, /do can easily continue it, please don't delete this comment admen ! ?

Whats the deal with you mentioning ERP for the second time? Do you not get enough of it, or whats up?

Firstly, ERP is just like any other kind of RP. Why do you feel a need to call people out for it? They dont bother you in any way, so dont bother them.

Secondly, i didnt have ERP in mind when i made this suggestion. In my opinion, it would be beneficial for all RP styles. If you want to write more than 250 characters in a single message, why shouldnt you be able to? Worst case the other party will /report you for 'stalling RP' or whatever. If you want to write less than 250? This isnt stopping you from doing it. Thirdly, yes, you could follow up with a /do but as i said, chances are you will get other people's messages between your /me and your /do which will make it harder for other to follow what you're saying, if they arent paying attention. Chances are you will also try to rush your /do.

I do agree that it could cause issues in clubs etc where the chat moves really quickly. But this could be avoided by /melow 

More characters could be useful but not really sure why it would be needed. Indifferent on this.

End of the day, just try breaking up your RP lines, send them in sections. For example, by breaking that RP up you give the other person a chance to interact instead of being in complete control of the situation.

Utilizing /do can be good too. That way, you give the other people a moment to read the first 3 lines instead of it all at once. They can begin typing their response.

Adding more characters to single messages will just make some scenarios drag on a little and that is something I am not a fan of.

As a general rule, in my opinion, I would recommend you keep your text concise and to the point. Longer sentences can often become cumbersome and unwieldy. This not only disrupts the flow of role-play — because longer messages take longer to produce — but it also creates communication difficulties. Avoiding verbose replies will maintain the flow of role-play, avoid confusion and make for more enjoyable reading.

Once you create a long, convoluted message, it is then left on the other player to dissect what you have said, how you have said it nd what you are trying to convey — creating a long message makes the other player have so sit there and pause the role play to reply to your message, which in-turn creates a very long, awkward pause and as said above, disrupts the flow of the scene.

I'm not opposed to upping it slightly, but five hundred words are not needed and instead, initiate creative writing and put effort into small doses of text, rather than a long, drawn out paragraph. 

Edited by owen
  • Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, Shekh said:

Give an example of a 250+ /me. I want to see what that looks like as i’ve literally never seen anybody hit the limit.

/me taps his pants down, feeling for the backwood and the lighter, he fishes them out from his pocket and puts them onto his palm - he places the backwood into mouth, gripping firmly with his lips as he rolls the lighter with his spare hand, trying to ignite the tip of the backwood. Once lit, he inhales the fumes deep into his lungs, smirking before letting out a huge cloud of smoke around the group. He then begins to smoke on the backwood, hitting it periodically, getting himself intoxicated...

I still think this a stupid idea tho, cus nobody wants to read /me's that long lmaoo

4 minutes ago, 9MM. said:

/me taps his pants down, feeling for the backwood and the lighter, he fishes them out from his pocket and puts them onto his palm - he places the backwood into mouth, gripping firmly with his lips as he rolls the lighter with his spare hand, trying to ignite the tip of the backwood. Once lit, he inhales the fumes deep into his lungs, smirking before letting out a huge cloud of smoke around the group. He then begins to smoke on the backwood, hitting it periodically, getting himself intoxicated...

I still think this a stupid idea tho, cus nobody wants to read /me's that long lmaoo

Thats literally the worst rp ive ever seen. No joke if someone rped /me’s like that i would avoid interactions with them completely. 

It’s literally seperate actions why do them in the same /me. And half that shit could be simplified 100x.

Just now, Shekh said:

Thats literally the worst rp ive ever seen. No joke if someone rped /me’s like that i would avoid interactions with them completely. 

It’s literally seperate actions why do them in the same /me. And half that shit could be simplified 100x.

obviously, i'm just showing you it's possible lmao

I just dont think its practical for the size of the chat box, was probably the exact reason they limit it on most RP servers.

If you really want to get descriptive just add another /me in between. It can even give the other players in the scene a chance to chime in with expressions of their own to make the RP that much better. Instead of waiting for 45 seconds.

Sometimes the description is necessary depending on the roleplay that's for sure. But if you are using more than one sentance for something such as lighting a cigarette or buying a beer, or any other mundane task that litterally effects no one elses rp... Your efforts will probably go unnoticed. Especially in crowded environments.

/me twists the cap off his beer, he then tilts his head back letting the liquid pour into his mouth.

/me sips on a beer.

Two different sentences, but create the exact same image in your mind to understand what the person is RPing.