Heavy RP, realism, suspension of disbelief and char depth

Topinambour

1 hour ago, EliH said:

Official factions had higher amount of weapons/drugs they could get, at least thatms how it used to be. Not sure if its still that way, but if not, that reputation had probably carried over and stayed till now.

How many times do we have to say it for you people to get it. Official Faction get no perks. 

Your all going to be really disappointed when you climb this mountain and when you get to the top you find out all the shit you thought about official faction is WRONG. We get no special treatment, our RP is constantly under review (whether we know it or not), We can not stockpile weapons or drugs from our own supply; The only thing we really get is a thread on the forums were we can showcase our factions RP.

I like that you all have created this echo chamber where "FM IS BAD ALL FACTIONS SHOULD BE ALLOWED, ALL THEY DO IS SHUT DOWN MY GOOD IDEAS". You wanna know why you they shut down your ideas? Because they stink and are flawed, you saw a movie on Netflix about the mob or the crips or something else and you sat down and wrote a thread with little to no background research. Most of the threads either paint your faction as this powerful entity with pretty much little to no RP backing that up IG or contradict themselves and real life by creating factions that just don't make sense.

Example: Cartel factions, people have been trying to form cartel's for years. Every single one, especially the ones with "Cartel" in their names gets shut down, you know why? Because there is no Cartel in Los Santos, if you tried to form your own Cartel in Southern California; The real Cartel would slaughter you and your family. Does that mean there is no cartel activity in southern California? Of course not, there is tons of Cartel activities in southern California. However most of this action is conducted by small groups or individual primarily to facilitate deals with local Mexican gangs with better hold on the territory. But no one wants to RP a small crew facilitating drug orders, they want to be Pablo fucking Escobar and thats why their faction gets denied.

• Applaud 2
30 minutes ago, Maca said:

snip

I think this is just a result of human nature combined with game mechanics. You want a ‘true’ RP server? Have staff enforce RP standards as they do now, but remove vehicle and housing costs. Make them free. That way people will be able to choose the vehicles and houses they want that fit their characters, and won’t have the excuse of they cant get what they want as the reason for grinding/bad RP.

Otherwise, make the scripted systems robust enough that they require RP on some level to work. It’s more than possible, I’ve helped create similar systems in the past.

Right now the server is in a deadzone in the middle, making it not super fun for everyone.

Just now, Henning said:

So on a server with an existing issue with people who only want to RP being wealthy we should just allow everyone to buy the most expensive cars and houses for free, right off the bat...

Well boy do I have something amazing to show you! I think its exactly what your looking for! You should check it out, I think it would be much better suited towards the play-style your looking for! 

Yikes dude, you’re pretty toxic.

Since it looks like you didn’t understand my point, I’ll reiterate. Many people on the server use the excuse of “I can’t RP my character because I don’t have funds, so I will grind/do bad RP until I have lots of money.” This is a direct cause of having high costs for vehicles/houses. Want that to go away? Remove costs.

Do I think that’s the best move personally? No, but it will fix the problem Maca brings up.

As for your other post, you clearly missed the entire point of this post also. Obviously massive crews of Cartels don’t work in LA. However, there’s no reason good roleplayers can’t RP a cartel in Los Santos, assuming they have good RP. Yes, it’s not 100% realistic, but the roleplay benefits brought by allowing good cartel RP may be higher than not allowing it.

Also for official factions, again, I clearly stated that’s how it used to be. Not that that’s how it is now.

1 minute ago, EliH said:

imo it seems like he’s just tired of all these bad replies and people trying to change the system in a way that benefits only mallrats. 

2 minutes ago, EliH said:

Yes, it’s not 100% realistic, but the roleplay benefits brought by allowing good cartel RP may be higher than not allowing it.

this is a serious rp server. now things out of the ordinary can happen but hard no. 

17 minutes ago, EliH said:

but remove vehicle and housing costs. Make them free. That way people will be able to choose the vehicles and houses they want that fit their characters, and won’t have the excuse of they cant get what they want as the reason for grinding/bad RP

not trying to be a dick but this might be the worst suggestion i’ve seen in a while. do you know  the extent to which people would abuse the system?

I don’t understand what’s so hard about this, if you have to grind for it it does not fit your character (except in few cases).

23 minutes ago, EliH said:

Since it looks like you didn’t understand my point, I’ll reiterate. Many people on the server use the excuse of “I can’t RP my character because I don’t have funds, so I will grind/do bad RP until I have lots of money.” This is a direct cause of having high costs for vehicles/houses. Want that to go away? Remove costs.

Do I think that’s the best move personally? No, but it will fix the problem Maca brings up.

As for your other post, you clearly missed the entire point of this post also. Obviously massive crews of Cartels don’t work in LA. However, there’s no reason good roleplayers can’t RP a cartel in Los Santos, assuming they have good RP. Yes, it’s not 100% realistic, but the roleplay benefits brought by allowing good cartel RP may be higher than not allowing it.

Also for official factions, again, I clearly stated that’s how it used to be. Not that that’s how it is now.

-snip because people don't like to hear the truth-

@Rumbunctious said it best in another thread: "Whether you like it or not, this server currently does strive for realistic portrayals, so there's no point in arguing "what people think is realistic vs. what is really actually realistic vs. what breaks suspension of disbelief (or doesn't)." Either it's realistic or it's not, and the portrayals we see at Mirror Park Plaza, Bahama Mamas or the trucking script fall under the "not" category."

Edited by Henning
6 minutes ago, Henning said:

-snip because people don't like to hear the truth-

@Rumbunctious said it best in another thread: "Whether you like it or not, this server currently does strive for realistic portrayals, so there's no point in arguing "what people think is realistic vs. what is really actually realistic vs. what breaks suspension of disbelief (or doesn't)." Either it's realistic or it's not, and the portrayals we see at Mirror Park Plaza, Bahama Mamas or the trucking script fall under the "not" category."

Sure, and I don’t disagree. But the whole point of this thread is to say “Hey, maybe striving for 100% realism isn’t ideal! Maybe we should let back a little on the hard requirement for 100% realism, and focus more on immersion than realism.”

23 minutes ago, Max3 said:

imo it seems like he’s just tired of all these bad replies and people trying to change the system in a way that benefits only mallrats. 

this is a serious rp server. now things out of the ordinary can happen but hard no. 

not trying to be a dick but this might be the worst suggestion i’ve seen in a while. do you know  the extent to which people would abuse the system?

I don’t understand what’s so hard about this, if you have to grind for it it does not fit your character (except in few cases).

There’s never an excuse for being toxic. As for the worst suggestion ever and people abusing it, isn’t that the whole point ot admins monitoring RP standards? You’d be able to ban the people who don’t want to RP, and keep everyone who takes houses/cars that fit their characters roleplay style. Food for thought.

Anyways, I’ve always advocated a robust script system that allows for RP while also allowing for people to have fun that’s also good for the server’s growth. Making everything free doesn’t do that.