Heavy RP, realism, suspension of disbelief and char depth

Topinambour

2 hours ago, KFN said:

Yeah this guys smart, we should listen to him more often.

Now following on I think FM should take a little read of this and think about de-restricting those faction creation rules or just straight up opening the faction threads to all to create and those that are well-written and develop into something meaningful to the server will get that sweet "official" status and the benefits factions get at the moment, where's "unofficial" factions will just have that thread what they can continue to update over time to show the development/story of their faction if they want (purely optional to show screens etc), this will allow a larger array and variation to factions on the server, rather than being streamlined into the ones already available to us. If the faction team don't want yours due to it being too similar to one already on the server, or it not being based off something from real life- even if it is in that believable area for our LS.

What exactly are these perks of having an official factions? 

I will agree with realism being pigeonholed when RP is imo a creative outlet.

The only thing I'd disagree with is the context you use "mundane" in. It's fairly subjective. There's nothing wrong with "niches" on an RP server and arguing RP has to cater to the preference of people around you seems very clique-like. I don't enjoy having to roleplay in a hospital but I won't expect the people involved to create some elaborate plan to garner interest or make my surgery "fun." You honestly can't expect to expose your character to the public under the assumption all of the rp you're involved in will be engaging. There are dull moments in every form of literature. Authors and creators aren't going to foam from the mouth as they write or create, twenty-four seven.

It's "collaborative" would be a good point. If it's mundane to you; try to contribute to the roleplay in a way that you find "interesting." Be imaginative.  No one can babysit with a crystal ball, and magically single out who isn't enjoying the roleplay. Just because you OOCly don't enjoy roleplaying the minor things in life, doesn't mean others don't. I know another RP server opened a cinema and coffee shop that many people enjoyed visiting. Regularly. Does that mean they shouldn't RP because it isn't "essential" to their character's development? You can't pick the pieces of what you do and don't want to RP. 

Like, you seem well-read enough to realize that RP also depends on YOU. Why would you immediately think "oh man I lost 15 mins of potential quality rp" instead of trying to turn an unwanted scenario into a potentially enjoyable one? It affects the ideas you want to materialize negatively and assuming you.

That's the thing with RPing on GTA. It's dynamic. You're able to become involved in a wide range of rp that can seem unrelatable to your character. Just like in real life. Unpredictable. My RP on GTA has always been spontaneous, random and that's the key ingredient in GTA. My problem is it seems like you enjoy planning your RP, having it well-thought out and RPing a grand or minor scheme in your character's life. RP doesn't have to so black and white. The obstacles that disturb you and your precious time, you're able to affect too.

This game provides a platform for hundreds of people to RP on. You are literally insane if you think every single person will provide "fun" RP for everyone around them, including you. Only wanting RP to be action-oriented and impacting defeats the purpose of freely roleplaying. Which isn't realistic, right? There are down-times in between explosive movies, even movies like Endgame where action is a recurring theme. Can you honestly say "fun" things happen in your life twenty-four seven? 

Edited by bluepilled
  • Upvote 2
12 hours ago, bluepilled said:

That's the thing with RPing on GTA. It's dynamic. You're able to become involved in a wide range of rp that can seem unrelatable to your character. Just like in real life. Unpredictable. My RP on GTA has always been spontaneous, random and that's the key ingredient in GTA. My problem is it seems like you enjoy planning your RP, having it well-thought out and RPing a grand or minor scheme in your character's life. RP doesn't have to so black and white. The obstacles that disturb you and your precious time, you're able to affect too.

I highly agree with this, what's the point and fun in script RP? Don't you want to just let the server decide to you what happens to your character or do you want to script / plan it in? And what if it doesn't go as planned? Is your character ruined now? A great example is what's going on LSRP, since the playerbase drastically dropped, you only see people script rp in their screenshots, which is very disappointing.

1 minute ago, The Brotherhood of Steel said:

None. It only attracts fake members because your faction is the plug now. Ontop of that, most likely when certain factions hit their objective, the faction most likely gets left in the dust.

Official factions had higher amount of weapons/drugs they could get, at least thatms how it used to be. Not sure if its still that way, but if not, that reputation had probably carried over and stayed till now.

2 minutes ago, EliH said:

Official factions had higher amount of weapons/drugs they could get, at least thatms how it used to be. Not sure if its still that way, but if not, that reputation had probably carried over and stayed till now.

But it's most likely drugs and guns that people seek so that they can fill their houses up.

Edited by The Brotherhood of Steel
3 minutes ago, The Brotherhood of Steel said:

Yeah well, during my time with Inagawa-Kai, we never reached to that point, so I can't really comment on that, but it's most likely drugs and guns that people seek so that they can fill their houses up with guns and drugs.

Before staff took control of weapons/drugs, Bruce had a warehouse where we could make weapons, then when staff started doing deliveries we got them twice as often and with more weapons since we were official. It’s probably changed since then though.

1 minute ago, EliH said:

Before staff took control of weapons/drugs, Bruce had a warehouse where we could make weapons, then when staff started doing deliveries we got them twice as often and with more weapons since we were official. It’s probably changed since then though.

Yeah well, I was in Inagawa-Kai when that happend, and to be frank with you, they had trouble rping a crew from Inagawa-Kai in USA.

7 minutes ago, The Brotherhood of Steel said:

Yeah well, I was in Inagawa-Kai when that happend, and to be frank with you, they had trouble rping a crew from Inagawa-Kai in USA.

I was also, so i guess I’ll agree to disagree.

Regardless, from what I see, official factions still get benefits, so loosening restrictions may help with more creative roleplay.

19 hours ago, Henning said:

Roleplay and specifically Roleplay servers are not about your story, its about the collective story of the servers universe. 

Try telling that to people that are more concerned about assets than roleplay.

This thread has come up time and time again. Whilst I agree that what "realism" is needs to be clearly defined, you will never reach a conclusion on what realism is because most people don't want to conform with one standard. Everyone wants their own version of what "realism" is, others want to treat a roleplay server like it's GTA Online.

You will never win when the majority care about going to a nightclub, drinking a copious amount of alcohol and fastforwarding time to drive their Pariah home to park it.

Face it, defining realism in this server at least won't work. Not sure if it'll work elsewhere, but I learnt from almost two years of trying to enforce standards in the server that you won't get anywhere when the majority are pushing in the opposite direction to make it a freeroam server with purple text to emote occasionally when it suits them.

• Upvote 1