HD Universe and you.

Engelbert

13 minutes ago, 1357 said:

Why is this such a big deal? If people want to role play real life entities, let them. 

I mean you can see their concerns though, yeah?

It's alright if it's brands which don't actually have representation in the HD universe such as drinks, clothing brands, phones or guns etc - then real life brands can be used, as there's not really any other alternative, or the alternatives are limited.

With cars, it's different. Each car already has its own brand, and when somebody rp's it as something it's not, it really breaks the continuity.

If something is already in the game, and everyone else sees it as such - why rp it as something it's not?

Just my two cents.

Just now, liew said:

I mean you can see their concerns though, yeah?

It's alright if it's brands which don't actually have representation in the HD universe such as drinks, clothing brands, phones or guns etc - then real life brands can be used, as there's not really any other alternative, or the alternatives are limited.

With cars, it's different. Each car already has its own brand, and when somebody rp's it as something it's not, it really breaks the continuity.

If something is already in the game, and everyone else sees it as such - why rp it as something it's not?

Just my two cents.

I see the point, but the cars for example are based off real life models.  I mean even the phones in SP were just based off the iPhone(iFruit) and the phones are going off real life brands in the servers shop itself, iPhone XS for example while right you already mentioned this, but if someone wants to role play real life brands, i can't see the problem in that and if people want to role play fiction, go ahead. 

But if i see someone who's role playing a Futo as a Toyota AE86 Sprinter Trueno then i'm not going to pretend i don't know what they're talking about and i'm surely not going to make a big deal about it and if i see someone role playing a Futo as a Futo, same thing no big deal to me. I don't think it's worth causing fuss over, that's all.

• Upvote 2

The thing is, if we're gonna follow continuity of the GTA universe, there's not gonna be much to choose from. First of all there's no actual brands to the guns in GTA, it's just the guns. So that'd be /me pulls out his combat pistol etc which would get very boring, that's what im saying, there's not much variety either to the brands in GTA. There's alotta car brands, sure. That's the only one I can agree should just be those car brands.

But when it comes to drinks, guns etc, there's not that much to choose from. 

When it comes to soft drinks, there's:

E-cola, Sprunk, Raine, Junk Energy Drink 

You see what I mean? I mean, if I wanna buy a Dr. Pepper i wanna buy a Dr. Pepper?? just sayin

2 hours ago, cracked said:

The thing is, if we're gonna follow continuity of the GTA universe, there's not gonna be much to choose from. First of all there's no actual brands to the guns in GTA, it's just the guns. So that'd be /me pulls out his combat pistol etc which would get very boring, that's what im saying, there's not much variety either to the brands in GTA. There's alotta car brands, sure. That's the only one I can agree should just be those car brands.

But when it comes to drinks, guns etc, there's not that much to choose from. 

When it comes to soft drinks, there's:

E-cola, Sprunk, Raine, Junk Energy Drink 

You see what I mean? I mean, if I wanna buy a Dr. Pepper i wanna buy a Dr. Pepper?? just sayin

They mentioned that not all stuff from real life would be cut, just stuff what would be beneficial to the continuity of the server. Such as vehicular branding and the various items we already got a type of ig. 

There's always 2 sides, back when i was selling alcohol in my store I used to sell HD Universe brands. Some people came in and asked for Corona while in gta universe it doesn't exist. I prefer using what we have becuase there's tonns of IG names for alcohol, cars, streets, brands, phone whatever. 

I prefer sticking to HD Universe stuff but some people dont even know it exists and will still come asking for Corona or compliment your Mustang or whatever so at this point I don't even care anymore.

22 hours ago, Engelbert said:

This is something that has been bothering me for quite some time. For all we know the Grand Theft Auto is somewhat tragic comedy paroding the real life organized crime slash conspiracy stuff. Actual definitions aside, I myself watched many people roleplay around, one thing struck me though, not many of us treat GTA for what it is. I seen people ordering Heineken in bars, people admiring a Range Rover, aiming at you with Beretta 92 and other stuff. Grand theft universe already has it's brands, gang turfs and general setting, yet not many people pay attention to that. So I am curious what's your take on this?

To my knowledge we're supposed to be role-playing as if this is an actual city in real life. We're not living according to the actual story line of GTA 5, sure we're using the universe to role-play, but that doesn't take away from the fact that we're supposed to emulate reality to the best of our ability. I think people should make more of an effort to RP diverse brands to the best of their ability. It increases immersion and is generally better for RP.

• Upvote 1

I have to agree with Liew - GTA's worldbuilding has allowed for a lot of room in regards to cars, brands, etc.

Albeit, there are gaps, it's not like GTA can just put in everything. My compromise is - If it is in GTA under something, then you refer to it by its in-character name, but if it isnt - i.e. Tiger Balm is not present in GTA. Let's say you have a back-ache, you'll use Tiger Balm, despite it not being in GTA.

At least that's my two cents.

i always thought that car brands should be stuck to as they're a very prominent part of roleplay. as for other stuff, beer, items - guns, in particular - honestly, i couldn't care less. if you want to call your combat pistol a glock (which i do), then go for it. it shouldn't matter to anyone what you call it. i'd argue that when trying to sell it or hand it over to people, though, whatever the case, it should be called a combat pistol to avoid confusion.

at the end of the day calling guns and drinks and stuff by their real life counterparts has basically no impact on anyones 'immersion' anyway.

having said that, i very much agree that stuff like cars and location should be lore-friendly. you drive a sentinel classic, not a bmw e30. you live in san andreas, not california. there is no los angeles, it has been replaced by los santos. miami doesn't exist, it's vice city. same goes for carcer city, las venturas, san fierro, blah blah.

Edited by Haitian
a word

honestly gta's lore is kinda shit and goofy, I only really use the GTA car names and the single city name but everything else I just use irl stuff. Wheels, beers, guns etc. I don't see the point in whining about "oh my got that guys drinking jack daniels instead of a pisswasser" or "oh my god that guy's RPing his wheels are watanabes instead of fujiwaras" and so on, guns especially - although I do typically just type it as handgun or something of the sort. 

I also don't agree with the whole "this replaced that" because if it did, why's it an island, how do you make sense of that when there should be a whole ass country connected to it? It's too confusing for me to ever care. I naturally don't really mention california but everywhere else like NY and florida etc idgaf I mention those because saying liberty or vice city just seems corny as fuck.

Edited by Smonk
  • Perky locked this topic