State of San Andreas - State of driving - Public Barometer

State of San Andreas Driving - Public opinion survey  

304 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm looking at the current way driving is handled in the server both in terms of server rules (rping crashes, driving with realistic fear for life, etc.) and realism (everyone being more or less a street racer or wannabe street racer) with the intention of better understanding what is the community's view on it. There are some suggestions I'm thinking about but I'm first of all curios to see what everyone thinks on this matter. 

Some clarifications regarding the polled questions in order for you to understand what each answer might imply.

#1 I think we should have a stricter, true to life driving style

• Police should do a better job at issuing citations to even smaller rule breaks. 
  • I'm ok with the idea of having scripted fixed radars on 1 or 2 main streets to deter dangerous driving
  • We should have more speed traps. 
  • It's immersive and fun for me to drive in a careful manner unless I explicitly am inclined for street racing. 
  • Optionally: I'd like to roleplay /everything/ traffic related.

#2 I believe we're fine, no changes needed.

• I'm ok with the number of traffic stops I see or personally engage in during my playtime here.
  • I don't want to waste time in traffic, I'd rather go to where I want to roleplay.
  • It's ok for people to drive fast in general, despite character reasoning (street racing, general law breaker, etc.)
  • Optionally: I'd avoid roleplaying small traffic collisions, I don't want to waste time equivalent of desyncs. 

#3 Driving is too strict as is, it's a game it shouldn't be as boring.

• Police are stopping me way too often. 
  • I am sick and tired of slowing down at intersections. 
  • It takes forever to get to where I want to go. 
  • I don't find traffic incidents (tickets, crashes, etc.) enjoyable at all and would rather avoid it completely.

Thanks for your time.

• Upvote 4

It's in a horrible state right meow. It's not even that traffic is underenforced by police. Traffic cops do a great job. The issue is that the laws are too weak to counteract the extremely reckless driving many players engage in. Often times it makes it unenjoyable, such as when I drive knowing that at any one of these intersections I'm going to get mauled into the sixth circle of hell by an unregistered Asbo. The penalty for speeding or running an intersection isn't scary enough as it is in the US irl. 

We hold all other crime to such a high standard, but we disregard traffic entirely. The laws need to be more stringent. 

My suggestions have always been:

• Stricter traffic laws

• Points system w/ auto license suspension/revocation

• Dedicated agency to traffic enforcement (OH THE HORROR!!) 

• Written, not just practical, driver's test that tests you on the laws, too. 

Edited by Soyuz
  • Upvote 17
  • Thanks 1

I recently went on a ride-along with someone from SD's traffic division. They were complaining (in character, but still) about the lack of MVA investigations, vague traffic laws, the driver's test. They also mentioned that drivers with horrendous records will just take the ticket, pay the fine and do the same thing. Money's no issue. Make the fines exponentially grow if you have a lot of points on your license. In the past two days I've been ran over, crashed into, rear ended about six times. The excuse was always the same. "my bad, I'm lagging, desync". If you're lagging, why are you driving at 120 mph through the city?

Install more speed bumps (city council, hello), fixed radars, revoke licenses, seize cars. Right now if someone gets their car impounded for 3 days, they'll just spawn another. Treat them the same way seized businesses are and make the drivers fight for their cars in the court of law.

• Upvote 8
  • Thanks 1

After 4 counts of any given traffic infraction, the option to remove someone's license until they appeal the suspension in court (ala Expungement) should be happening. I've come across people with over 20 traffic related citations, who still have their license. 

Then, increase the penalty for driving while on a suspended license, or without one. More criminal points. 

Street / car culture can be cool, but it's way over-stated currently. 

• Upvote 6

Wasn't there a topic in regards for possible speed cameras on bigger main streets and such? People drive like headless chickens everywhere and it honestly needs to stop, whether it's admins enforcing it or much stricter IC laws for it.

• Upvote 3

Heaps of speedhumps is a great idea.

Speed cameras is good too, however there’s issues of stolen cars, stolen license plates and company vehicles resulting in the wrong person getting the fine.

For anyone saying “You can just appeal the fine IC in traffic court” sure, your correct, but your not familiar with GTA:W. Trolls will steal heaps of cars and purposely speed infront of traffic cameras to create a nightmare for the vehicle owner.