AyI5EQ9.png

LSN Election Guide: City Council 2024 

2/2/2024
Compiled by Delia Celeste Urbana-Champaign

The Los Santos Network is dedicated to bringing you the most up to date information on the issues that impact your lives. This Election Guide seeks to serve as a font of information to give you the low-down on the candidates and to give you the information you need to make informed choices. We're going to kick off with some basic information on when the voting period begins and ends, how to figure out which District you live under and where to vote. Finally we'll round out with information packets sent to us by the candidates. Some candidates did not respond when asked to contribute to this guide, but rest assured the Los Santos Network will continue to try to get their take before election day so you can make the most informed decision possible. 

When to Vote

Voting Period: February 10th to February 11th

Which District Do I Live In?

Find your Primary Residence on the map below to figure out your District:

Spoiler

NHWYDiP.jpeg

Where Do I Vote?

Voting will be conducted Online through the following City Government Web Portal, the Web Portal becomes active on February 10th until the 11th,  and individuals naturally may only vote Once.

Meet the Candidates

Candidates are presented in the order by which they completed and submitted their Election Guide Information Packet.

Northern District Race

Josély Martínez (R) vs. David Wu (D)

LtNzwtA.png 

Campaign Theme Song

Spoiler

Detailed Candidate Overview

Spoiler

Who among LS Politicians past and present do you find inspiration in?

Former Senator Valeria Reyes. While I disagree with her politically, she was a force to be reckoned with and had incredible drive. And of course, my fiancé, Marcus Cambridge. A woman has to stand by her man.

What politician or leader living or dead do you admire?

I would have to defer to my Colombian heritage and say Rodrigo Lara Bonilla, the man who stood up against — and was subsequently assassinated by order of Pablo Escobar.

What was your last job title and what was your last employing organization?

The last time I was employed was when I was the General Manager of the Great Western Club & Golf Society, before I ran for Board membership against then Secretary of State Noah Wade and won. After that I became the President of said Board, and have since been my own boss. Before all of that, I worked in the fashion industry and owned my own store on Portola Drive.

Tell the readers in a few short sentences why they should consider voting for you?

The residents of the Northern district should consider voting for me because I'm part of their community. Vote for the candidate who doesn't merely have an address in the Northern district, but who actually has learned, lived, worked, and breathed it's air for a big part of her life. I went to ULSA, lived in almost every neighborhood of the district, worked & had my businesses here. A vote for Martinez is a vote for you.

Provide a link for voters to your full political platform below:

www.joselymartinez.com

8qcNs1X.png

Campaign Theme Song

Spoiler

Spoiler

Sophie Wu

John Adams

Restaurant Owner, Wang Chau Seafood Restaurant.

Tell the readers in a few short sentences why they should consider voting for you?

I'm a proud business owner and long-time resident of the Northern District for many years.

I'm not beholden to any special interests or lobbyists. I'm standing of my own volition and I want to represent the people of the area to the best of my ability. 

The city government must be more accountable to its citizens and it must do more for them. At present, it is an inadequate body which neglects the poor and disenfranchised, and does nothing to encourage the growth of high-achieving high earners.

Together, by voting David Wu, we'll do this city proud. I'm a proud outsider, and I'm hoping to be able to work to make this city better - the buck stops with you and me. Let's do something about it.

Platform Link

Western District Race

Sophie Wu (D) vs. Daniel Park (I) 

26Ybktu.png

Campaign Theme Song

Spoiler

Spoiler

Marcus Cambridge

Jacinda Ardern

Treasurer at Suey Sing Association

I believe the voters should consider electing me because I am passionate about criminal reform and rehabilitation. Fairness in our court systems and I'm a staunch advocate against the profiling of minorities from our authorities. Transparency from the government and understanding of all social issues is a must. The government must do better to support those who have long been forgotten by our systems.

I will work tirelessly to help, support, and uplift the western district.

Platform Link

Daniel Park (I) did not respond to contribution requests for this Election Guide.

Central District Race

Olivia Zhao (D)  vs. Garrett Baker (R) 

6EBQ7vN.png

Campaign Theme Song

Spoiler

Spoiler

I really look up to Isabel Garcia for the amazing work she's done with the Child Protection Act. It's so important to protect the rights and safety of kids, and her dedication to this cause is something I deeply admire. Sophie Wu is another person who inspires me. Her work with the Stop Asian Hate campaign is close to my heart. Fighting against racial discrimination and pushing for a world where everyone is respected matters a lot to me. Being of Cambodian and Chinese heritage, these issues hit home. I get how crucial it is to stand up for diverse communities and work tirelessly for a society that embraces everyone.

I'm someone who idolizes ideas, not people. However, if I had to choose, I've always admired John F. Kennedy for his visionary approach and charismatic leadership. He championed progressive ideas while also maintaining a message that resonated across the political spectrum. His commitment to civil rights, space exploration, and addressing poverty inspires me to approach challenges with an open mind and a unifying perspective. As someone who cares deeply about social justice and racial issues, Kennedy's efforts are a reminder that great progress can be achieved when we work together, regardless of our political affiliations. His push for civil rights, although met with resistance, laid the groundwork for the pivotal changes that ended up coming later. When I think about the challenges we face today, I'm encouraged by JFK's example to approach them with a mix of realism, optimism, and the belief that, yes, we can make a difference.

Another person I admire is Malala Yousafzai. At such a young age, she transformed a personal tragedy into a global crusade for education and women's rights. Her bravery in the face of daunting adversity is something that I feel deeply about. It's not just her activism that inspires me, but her ability to maintain hope and continue her mission amidst such challenges. Malala's dedication reminds me that commitment to a cause and the courage to speak up can spark significant change. Her story is a powerful reminder that age doesn't define impact, and it motivates me to pursue justice and equality with the same fervor in my own work.

Community Development Coordinator at Pathways to Progress Initiative

If you're seeking a council member who understands that our world is not just black and white and recognizes the need for nuanced solutions, I am your candidate. My commitment to social justice, environmental sustainability, and fiscal responsibility is about finding the right balance. I respect the importance of tradition, innovation, and individual freedoms, while also tackling poverty and addressing racial inequities. I believe that to make lasting change, we must unite across our differences, embracing diverse perspectives. By voting for me, you're choosing a leader who is dedicated to building bridges and fostering a strong, inclusive, and prosperous city for all.

Platform Link

Garrett Baker (R) did not respond to contribution requests for this Election Guide. He has however contributed this comment.

kSmIZU1.png

Southern District Race

Frank Buntz (R)  vs. Eduardo Vargas (I)

4ALeqQ8.png

Campaign Theme Song

Spoiler

Spoiler

Former Republican Mayors Susan Lichter and Frank Vaughn.

Ronald Reagan, Dwight D. Eisenhower and Richard Nixon

What was your last job title and what was your last employing organization?

Frank Buntz Legal Services

I'm a born and raised street guy who's been practicing in the Southern District for twenty years. I believe I have a solid perspective on the social and political issues of the south, and as someone who isn't a lifelong politician, could bring new ideas to the table for change.

Platform Link

Eduardo Vargas (I) did not respond to contribution requests for this Election Guide.

Los Santos County (Blaine) District Race

Ted Cook (R)  vs. Colton Reed (I)

Neither Ted Cook (R) nor Colton Reed (I) responded to contribution requests for this Election Guide.

Wrap Up

All candidates were reached out to multiple times to contribute to the Election Guide and we'd like to thank them those that did contribute. We'll note that all candidates who contributed committed themselves to active involvement in the City Government and to attend a majority of City Council hearings. Finally, all those asked have committed themselves to working across party lines in order to best represent the needs of constituents.

For further information on each of these candidates, see the links to their platform to see how you might get involved with their campaigns or to reach out to them directly with any questions. The Los Santos Network will continue to provide you up-to-date on all pressing City Council race updates.

RMwuu1v.png

>Comments are enabled! 

Username:
Comment:

Edited by Al-Malikah
format; edited to add baker's contribution
  • Upvote 13

Username: Anonymous
Comment: 

they are all puppets of masonic powers nothing really matters

everything is poison and the earth has no core help this train has no breaks

i found these pix from the deep web so may help us GOD

TBhNYcS.png

jyOh4gZ.png

• Upvote 5
23 minutes ago, StoneFire said:

Username: G.Baker
Comment: Respectable journalists are welcome to reach out for an actual interview or hear my standpoints.

I appreciate the effort of informing the reader of when and where to vote. 👍

-Garrett Baker

Username: TheMethBaker
Comment: You can state all your standpoints here on the comment section? IF that is you, the real Garrett Baker.

Username:    Ms_AV_123
Comment:    I don't think that you could pick worse candidates for the job.   Absolutely awful,  every single one of them.    They should all be ashamed of themselves. 

• Upvote 1

Username: JennaSongWX
Comment: I've known Vixen a long time. I consider her a friend and a co-worker. And if there is one thing I know is that she takes Journalism seriously. Her opinions might be bombastic and over the top, but when it comes to seeking the fact of the matter you won't find anyone more dedicated, and  effective. I daresay she is one of the most component journalists I have ever met, to say nothing of reputable. 

• Upvote 3

Username: CadenLevi

Comment: bad publicity is better than none but i don't think education can absolve the narrowminded. evading an opportunity to convey your message and the impact you can have on the city is tedious work. do better, baker. also, put your toys back in the pram. 💋

• Upvote 1

Username: suasponte1983 

Comment: Fucking guys can't even respond to an e-mail? Whats worse one of them wants to represent me. This Baker guy ain't gonna have my vote, that's for sure. Dude mustve forgot the assignment until it was too late, and now showing up in these comments lookin like a high n mighty dildo.

• Upvote 1

Username: voter24

Comment: BAKERS TOO BUSY SHOWBOATING HIS SECURITY GUARDS THINKING HES IMPORTAN T . UR NOT ! WHATS A REPRESENTATIVE IF HE CANT EVEN TRUST HIS OWN P EOPLE ?? 

• Upvote 1