Taxi Dispatch - Remove the customer name completely, it promotes Metagaming.

Detailed Description

Currently when you call 910, the taxi dispatch you do not interact with an NPC or anything, all it does it automatically send a call for any available drivers to respond. The issue here is, you never actively tell the dispatch your name, nor you do this in-real-life as well. Yet, the driver gets something along the lines of:

[Taxi Dispatch] We have John Doe waiting for you (Ph. 123456)

While the dispatch never actively asked the name, nor do IRL ones either. Only ones that do, are Uber and the other phone apps, regular taxi dispatches do not do that.

Until the script will be reworked, if ever it will be, the customer name should be immitted entirely and replaced with a customer is waiting for you and phone number instead of full name.

Relevant Commands/Items

N/A

How will it benefit the server?

Prevent Metagaming of IC names of people.

• Upvote 2

Mm. Everybody seems to have a weird paranoia about protecting their names. My entire contact list is full of nicknames even if they are very close friends. 

I don’t think this is a problem and instead promotes confusion for the driver identifying who they have to pick up. IRL you kind of have to give at least a first name when ordering a cab.

You can even argue that it’s for taxi drivers safety to have full name logged in their delivery routine and not just “Lefty”, “Lil Mike” it they choose to run off without paymet or robbed. 

I don’t support

Edited by Coravu
  • Upvote 1

There was a /helpme request from OP; We have discussed the issue outlined in this game suggestion together. I also agree, that scriptly giving the taxi driver the name of the passenger is a bit unrealistic. It leads to confusion and name MG'ing, especially with players who are newer on the server, and often times newer players start with taxi driving as their first job. Therefore, making the issue at hand even more prominent.

+1

Edited by Revolter

I disagree and I'll tell you why.

If you've ever called a taxi base for a ride and they arrive, take a look at their tablet inside the car. It always has at least your first initial and lastname in the name section. That's because the app has Caller ID that already looks up the number prior to being assigned the ride. If you ain't using a burner (PayG) or someone else's phone, chances are they already have your name or the ability to get it if it's your contract. 

I say just leave it as is, your name isn't really that secretive especially when ordering a cab.

4 minutes ago, jromjeksin said:

If you ain't using a burner (PayG) or someone else's phone, chances are they already have your name or the ability to get it if it's your contract.

I'd argue this is how the script works, but not how taxi dispatches work. Out of experience calling a taxi, they do ask for your name, but it's generally only your first name.

Irrespective of this, I'd maybe adjust the script to only include the firstname, or if anything, provide a name through the script with the idea of the dispatcher asking for the firstname lastname. I suppose intermittently, it could be removed for the taxi driver.

1 minute ago, Vindicator said:

I'd argue this is how the script works, but not how taxi dispatches work. Out of experience calling a taxi, they do ask for your name, but it's generally only your first name.

Irrespective of this, I'd maybe adjust the script to only include the firstname, or if anything, provide a name through the script with the idea of the dispatcher asking for the firstname lastname. I suppose intermittently, it could be removed for the taxi driver.

It is how some taxi dispatches work. I've seen it myself, I've also never given my name because I was never asked but when I get into these cars my name is usually already on their tablet from the caller ID.

9 minutes ago, jromjeksin said:

If you ain't using a burner (PayG) or someone else's phone

I called 910 from a burner, and yet they had my name. A brand new PayG phone too.

25 minutes ago, Coravu said:

Mm. Everybody seems to have a weird paranoia about protecting their names. My entire contact list is full of nicknames even if they are very close friends. 

I don’t think this is a problem and instead promotes confusion for the driver identifying who they have to pick up. IRL you kind of have to give at least a first name when ordering a cab.

You can even argue that it’s for taxi drivers safety to have full name logged in their delivery routine and not just “Lefty”, “Lil Mike” it they choose to run off without paymet or robbed. 

I don’t support

That is why the script has to be reworked a little to work in similar manner like the 911 does where it asks you questions and then notifies the units. Until it is reworked to do so the name should be removed since usually you do not share since it isn't mandatory.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, jromjeksin said:

It is how some taxi dispatches work. I've seen it myself, I've also never given my name because I was never asked but when I get into these cars my name is usually already on their tablet from the caller ID.

Because they use 3rd party software (TrueCaller for example) in most cases or because you are a re-curing customer, in my country if you order a taxi via phone (no uber, gettaxi or w/e other app used) you tell them address and that it, no name required. That is how 910 is, same thing, you call, give address and that's it.

Edited by Vash Baldeus

Well I did say a PayG phone shouldn't do that, I'm pretty sure that's just how the script was designed and likely wasn't intentional. I just call a random taxi number and get a ride if I feel like paying cash and they usually have my name due to caller ID which is the same type of thing 910 is. I personally don't see an issue with the taxi driver having your name to be honest.

Incredibly common to have to give your name when you call a dispatch, and in a high-crime city like LS, it'd only be normal that dispatchers take precautions like full name and number. A solid 3/10 of customers WILL jump your fare on this server, it's already damn near impossible to get a LEO to care with name & number, let alone if you had no indication of who the person was.

Wrong thing to focus on. Even if it wasn't realistic, making life harder for an already niche job within civilian roleplayers is a bad idea.

Edited by King of Idlewood
  • nickM locked this topic