House market

eTaylor

9 hours ago, Red. said:

I briefly looked through the old rule changelog, but there was a set rule on how property pricing could not exceed a certain percentage; it, by policy, prevented something like a 800% markup of MP + Furniture. I think it capped at 3x MP+Furniture, but I'm not 100% on that. It, effectively, was along the lines of the current property rules without the "6 months + : You can sell the house at any price you want." The 3x MP+Furniture cap was more than reasonable in my eyes and was quite effective at preventing absurd inflation of property values..

Frankly, there's no good reason to have it be uncapped, and if memory serves, this change in the regulation kinda came out of the blue blindsiding a lot of us that were staff. Not positive if I was PM at the time, but I'm pretty sure I was - This was a few years ago by now.

There's no real "expenses" with home ownership here that would help keep values down. No need to replace appliances, no need to repair roofs, no need to repair anything that would otherwise ding a property's value. It's literally free money if you hold it for a bit.

While I know PM does try to combat those that just bank properties with the intent of reselling after 6 months to roll in the dough, it still happens. People work around it by "living there" when it's something they know from the get-go that they'll try to spin for max bucks. You've seen this with a number of the Sandy Shores/countryside trailers, unfortunately - And there was a period of time where PM would try to rebuy these properties every time they were available on the script market to prevent this from reoccurring. Not sure if that's still being done.

The old cap meant no one would sell their Mirror Park or Vespucci Canals houses, because their MP is pretty low. We tried this and it didn't work. Instead of expensive houses,  you'd have none. Why would we got back to that?

Edited by mj2002
8 hours ago, Mattel said:

IMO if PM were more lenient in the way they pass out house requests, people would likely feel inclined to go down that route. I know a handful of players who flat out refuse to apply for a house and will continue being a part of the reason why the buyable housing market is so fucked. 

The requirements for a house request are out there with a lot of terms and conditions and most if not all of the illegal characters can't even apply even if they wanted to. Of course those people who refuse to apply do not want those because being limited to what you can own in a game (businesses, cars and other properties) if they apply for a house. Not everyone are okay with these limitations.

Just now, Vash Baldeus said:

The requirements for a house request are out there with a lot of terms and conditions and most if not all of the illegal characters can't even apply even if they wanted to. Of course those people who refuse to apply do not want those because being limited to what you can own in a game (businesses, cars and other properties) if they apply for a house. Not everyone are okay with these limitations.

Can you list some of these limitations?

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, mj2002 said:

Can you list some of these limitations?

Amount of cars, not being illegal (far as I know no illegal char is allowed to apply, might be wrong on this), not being able to own more properties. On top of all that the obscene amount price tag PM asks for the house while other houses that part of the market are not priced the same even though they are on the same level as the house a person applies for.

Overall I do not like how the housing market was handled on the server, with Mirror Park houses have cheap mp price but never being sold unless to a friend or a traded due to scarcity of housing buildings.

7 minutes ago, Vash Baldeus said:

Amount of cars, not being illegal (far as I know no illegal char is allowed to apply, might be wrong on this), not being able to own more properties. On top of all that the obscene amount price tag PM asks for the house while other houses that part of the market are not priced the same even though they are on the same level as the house a person applies for.

Overall I do not like how the housing market was handled on the server, with Mirror Park houses have cheap mp price but never being sold unless to a friend or a traded due to scarcity of housing buildings.

Huh?

Where on earth has this information come from?

Illegal chars can own houses? Of COURSE they can? We get a HUGE amount of requests from illegal characters and most of our house requests that meet the minimum requirements are actually accepted.

You can own more properties, an apartment, businesses etc. You cannot have 2 houses at the moment though because we have a limited amount. I think this is very understandable.

We are  cheap for houses, and you pay mortgages to make them affordable.

Please please join the PM discord and read all of the documentation we have, because this is worryingly inaccurate and I don't want to see people posting mis-information.

Edited by Lomadias
15 minutes ago, Vash Baldeus said:

• Being an illegal character should never be a limitation. This is the very first time I hear of that and I'm 99.999% confident that this is just completely untrue.
  • Amount of cars is completely unrelated to being legal or illegal.
  • You're not allowed to have more than two residential properties, which also is completely unrelated to being a legal or illegal character.
  • The price PM asks isn't different for legal characters vs illegal characters. As Lomadias pointed out, there's mortgage payments! 20% down and the rest can be discussed.

Sorry but none of these are limitations for illegal characters. Are there any others you have in mind?

Edited by mj2002
  • Upvote 2
12 minutes ago, Jeroen said:

I think that @Vash Baldeus is mentioning some of the houses which when introduced required a clean criminal record.

If I recall properly, I think these houses were the ones along Chumash.

Hmm not sure, I don't recall that so must have been before my time in PM. We'd never refused someone a house because they're illegal, that's insane to me. If someone gets to that point in illegal RP to justify such a house, we should absolutely reward them.

44 minutes ago, Jeroen said:

I think that @Vash Baldeus is mentioning some of the houses which when introduced required a clean criminal record.

If I recall properly, I think these houses were the ones along Chumash.

31 minutes ago, Lomadias said:

Hmm not sure, I don't recall that so must have been before my time in PM. We'd never refused someone a house because they're illegal, that's insane to me. If someone gets to that point in illegal RP to justify such a house, we should absolutely reward them.

I recall it very well, that those houses were introduced as house-request early on and no criminal could ask for them, no idea how it is today but IRL very successful criminals who launder enough fortune find ways to buy such housing via legitimate means.

• Selena locked this topic