Times Your Character has Surprised You

Astralsomnia

This is a thread for the more hardcore, writing directed players. There's a neat phenomenon that roleplayers and actors alike experience, where they can get so immersed in their character that they basically act with their own agency. With this level of character-development, our own creations can sometimes surprise us with the actions they take, or reactions to certain events. We might plan in our head how they might handle something, only for it to be completely difference once played out.

What times has your character surprised you?

• Upvote 1

Surprised that my character actually overcame most of his reactive anger, being able to leave situations without resorting to violence or outbursts, often stemming from months of mandatory therapy sessions as part of his parole conditions. Also amazed that he managed to undergo a second opportunity of parole, despite messing it up in the past, due to his extraordinary clean record while imprisoned, mostly stemming from his ability to lay low and only engage in criminal activities when the risk was at it's lowest potential. Finally, despite his ability to integrate and adapt into society, he has made a lot of progress. This character was initially supposed to be a part of a gang, presuming that it would only last for several months, but had lasted for around 3 years. It's gotten to the point where the man said "I ain't the same nigga, no more... sometimes I feel white as fuck". Too much to reference in regards to his development, but it's been VERY interesting.

Edited by DLimit
  • Upvote 1
  • Applaud 1

It's more about us as people and not about our characters, I don't really get surprised of it but I often come out as too friendly, even if I plan not to be. And then again I might seem like a dick here in the forums because I am trying to make a point but are using the wrong words.