General Morale - An Improvement Thread

sixchar

16 hours ago, Defiant said:

About your point where players reference the "glory days", this time existed, and it was about a decade ago. Anyone who was around on LSRP from 2012-2015 knows that the standards were high and people roleplayed. There were always bad apples, but when the server had 600/600 players and you had to wait 10-15 minutes to join, it really was a good time. That's what a "community" felt like, the streets were full of life and most corners in South Central had players. You saw people walking, talking, driving regular ass cars, and at the same time there were multiple factions for anyone who was interested to join, whether that'd be LCN factions, gangs, OCGs, LEO factions ( you can say whatever you want about Michael Houston, but after he left, it really was the end of an era in LSPD ).

Like someone said above, on GTAW you'll either find the cop rejects, the NEETs or the second lifers, even the gang rpers have left.

Gangs? You barely see them anymore. The Mafia who is supposed to be an integral part of GTA in general? It has been deemed "unrealistic", yet people fail to realize that LCN factions typically have very high standards, and they're involved both in legal and illegal RP. Point out another concept that is as involved in illegal RP as legal, there isn't. And no, stereotypical Eastern European caricatures don't count.

The streets are not full of life, you barely see anyone. Everyone roleplays inside interiors, and people, don't give me the "robbers are everywhere boo-hoo!" excuse. Why weren't people complaining about being robbed all the time on LSRP in 2014? 

GTAW is successful financially, and the numbers prove it, but it's not a server that encourages roleplay, it wants people who donate, who are obedient civilians and those who don't step out of line or dare portray something unique. It's not GTA if it doesn't have gangs, the mafia, the elite, the corpos, the lowlifes,  all fighting for a piece of a very large pie. 

Anyway, as someone who has been a member of several roleplay communities for at least a decade, if not longer - GTAW is stale, tasteless, bland, clinical. It can work if you roleplay a civilian and don't step out of line, but otherwise? No, if you're coming from LSRP, especially if you were an old player there - you probably won't find what you're looking for here, LSRP was gritty and not sterilized and you didn't depend on the administration for half of your activities like you are here. Everything is kept behind an application, and the admins are always right there on your doorstep if you roleplay something illegal, no matter what, ready to criticize you or admonish you, often for things that aren't even listed in the rules. 

And the sad thing is? It probably wont change, I always like to say that GTA RP kinda died with SAMP's lsrp.

• Upvote 1
10 hours ago, Barbary said:

The reasoning I've heard regularly is that that the Italian Mafia doesn't have enough of a presence on the west coast to be authentic to what's supposed to be a recreation of Los Angeles.

This was also probably the reason why the mafia factions on the LC servers were some of the most active, people really wanted to get back into things.

You know this post kind of took me back. But I have to say any other community would probably delete that post and ban the account. It seems as though the server is open to criticism. Nothing is perfect. I feel like voicing opinions in a calm and collected way will ultimately start a discussion amongst staff. 

• Upvote 1

1. The medical roleplay.

2. The excessive shootings and killings, for once I'd like to meet a patient who doesn't have 50 gunshot wounds in them because they stepped a foot into the wrong neighborhood. Would love to see gangs instead focus on intimidation tactics or just y'know, beating a guy.

• Upvote 1

Being a member since 2020, I do greatly notice a difference. But I will say that I commend the amazing mod team for listening to suggestions and working all around to implement those creative ideas from the playerbase into the server. The server's advanced script is what attracts me the most. I stay here because of my small group of friends that I met here and we always strive to stay together in whatever faction we decide on. 

On the cons side, I feel like there are certain people who believe they're above others when what they're doing is volunteering. I don't like how punishments are thrown to certain players, while others get a slap on the wrist when it's the same scenario. I hope for more consistency because that'll keep me spending some of my mula here. 

Edited by perico princess
  • Upvote 4
12 hours ago, Twentybyte said:

The server is bland, tasteless, inconsistent and unoriginal to its worldbuilding and faction creation.

I’ve mostly been in the legal faction circle, but its always been plagued by micromanaging admins who manage every detail of a large legal faction. Often admonishing leadership to the point where most legal factions are barely led. They don’t have the freedom for creative actions. And any major change must be approved by LFM, management and any admin who “disagrees” over any detail. Playing in legal factions is bland and boring. It gives this air of negativity whenever people interact with legal factions because most have major issues that simply can’t be addressed by their leadership, who are so afraid of being coup’d or removed on a whim by management, they simply don’t.

Its unfortunately a reality with a vast chunk of the server. I’d love to see the server actually become a sandbox for creative concepts, ideas and characters.

But that just ain’t happening right now. Its boring.

Micromanagement has and always will be the death of these kinds of servers. There's a reason that light RP servers or servers like NoPixel are more popular amongst groups, especially when you're talking about people watching them on Twitch and such. That kind of RP isn't for everyone and there is indeed a place for medium-heavy RP, but I feel like this server has digressed so far into nitpicking that it ruins any sort of creativity whatsoever. The fact that LCN factions are no longer allowed is just mind boggling to me, considering how long they were on this server. It was practically a staple for GTAW. I don't care how you justify it.

• Upvote 1

1) This has many answers. I'd say seamless scripts in most cases, ability to customize things and constant development. GTAW offers a blank slate every time you create a new character with much more flexibility compared to what GTA Roleplay had before.

2) Turn off? The standards. This server promises to hold roleplay to a higher standard. If you have ever been to the city when it's crowded these days, you could witness how chaotic it is. It simply wasn't like this before. We're at a point where players leave the city and settle for county residencies because it's way too chaotic. Overall experience has become subpar, even with all the development put into the project. I'm not sure how this can be remedied, can't offer anything to fix it.

• Upvote 4

A few days ago my roleplay on one specific scene got interrupted four times due to the other side breaking rules throughout the engagement. Afaik 4 different admins attended each of the 4 sits, and they were given "final warning" multiple times.

So instead of wasting my precious spare time on admin sits with individuals who can't play without breaking a rule, I decided to just quit GTAW for a few days and play Baldur's Gate 3, Phasmophobia, and Wargame: Red Dragon.

Also there should be an archive/long term LOA feature for characters, so you can easily liquidate assets such as apartments and their contents, to prevent getting burnt out by being coerced to roleplay on a character that you don't want to play or have the time to play on.

• Upvote 2