Limitations on Players Creating Illegal-Factions

CloudedEra

tbh if any concepts should be limited it should be skinhead (not woods, skins specifically)

there’s probably less than 200 88ing skinheads in LA, versus 200k surenos yet we have the same amount of factions and act as if they would hold the same sort of weight in the streets. 

• Upvote 9
2 minutes ago, EAST LOS MARVELOUS said:

tbh if any concepts should be limited it should be skinhead (not woods, skins specifically)

there’s probably less than 200 88ing skinheads in LA, versus 200k surenos yet we have the same amount of factions and act as if they would hold the same sort of weight in the streets. 

They'd get their ass kicked cause no 1 puts up with that IRL verses trying that shit with Saint Locos 13 

• Upvote 5

Here's food for thought, in my prior RP history I've had opened many factions. Most of them were stepping stones of me just learning what it takes for a faction to succeed. Eventually I ended up with a few factions that were very solid, lasted long and had many pages of pure quality content. But that doesn't remove the fact that prior to that I had to fail a bunch of times by making shit factions. I'm sure the same process applies to most people unless they were mentored but even then you can't teach just about everything.

Another point is that you have small sub-sets, cliques and wannabes trying to break through all the time, it's just we don't hear about most of them because they fail at the very start. It's just the regular ecosystem my man, just like we have shit ton of small businesses we never hear about and probably never will unless they're part of the miniscule percentage that make it big.

As much as the IFM can be overly strict at times, I think that the current amount of regulation is just enough - outlandish concepts are prohibited or limited, while you can operate freely around concepts that are present in Los Angeles with enough creative freedom

• Upvote 1

This is a hard one for me to pick a side on. One thing I have observed over the years of roleplay servers is that there are usually a few people within the community that are notorious for opening factions with "unique" concepts just for them to close in a week to a month.

As far as street gangs go in real life, in highly gang infested neighborhoods there is often one gang on one street and then the next street over is a gang of the same "type" but are still rivals and beef with each other.

You can't force people to roleplay with a faction in which they might not agree with the way it is ran OOC and/or don't get along with the people that lead the faction.

The only way to combat factions being constantly opened and closed is to maybe implement a more strict application/vetting process by IFM for new unofficial factions.

the illegal scene as of late has been deader than ever. official section barely breaching 2 pages (currently on 1) for months now in a server that engages 850~ players at peak. if anything, the focus should be on returning to limiting the concepts that are (supposedly) restricted and better incentivizing individuals/groups that have a good track record w/ their behavior and activity to keep on w/ what they have going on or jumpstarting their new ideas.

Edited by raklo
  • Upvote 6
3 hours ago, Complaicant said:

This is a hard one for me to pick a side on. One thing I have observed over the years of roleplay servers is that there are usually a few people within the community that are notorious for opening factions with "unique" concepts just for them to close in a week to a month.

As far as street gangs go in real life, in highly gang infested neighborhoods there is often one gang on one street and then the next street over is a gang of the same "type" but are still rivals and beef with each other.

You can't force people to roleplay with a faction in which they might not agree with the way it is ran OOC and/or don't get along with the people that lead the faction.

The only way to combat factions being constantly opened and closed is to maybe implement a more strict application/vetting process by IFM for new unofficial factions.

I’m not trying to have IFM limit concepts & or the amount of factions. I’m trying to limit the amount of times a certain player or a certain group can open and close, why? Because there’s just some players that just aren’t cut out to be a leader, and there’s players that constantly open and close factions due to sub par roleplay & inactivity. It’s more of a quality control, we need more active factions, not a bunch of tiny factions with zero development where a guy spawns in and thinks he’s all big and bad due to his faction being accepted.

On 8/5/2023 at 10:54 PM, eTaylor said:

Jokes aside I think everyone can agree that established gangs could do a whole lot better if they didn’t get pointlessly challenged every other week by a different “gang” that consists of VoIP RP stream crew #67 screaming “Ayo cuh” into discord LARPing Boondocks while ear deafening domestic violence plays out in the background recorded by their oversensitive $5 Madcatz headset from CVS 

So what's the best way to combat this then?

Returning to this server after a while away, I was actually surprised at how restrictive the new system already is. I mean, it isn't difficult, but there's enough 'paperwork' involved to deter anybody who isn't serious from starting a faction.

We should be looking at other problems for the cause of the high rate of faction turnover. It's not a matter of the application process not being strict enough. It's a matter of factions encountering various issues that cause them to close. Some should be preventable,. others aren't.

For example, I would have absolutely no interest in opening a street gang faction. To me it seems like gang roleplay is just constant PVP, one could even say DM in a lot of cases. This was my experience the last time I tried it, and that experience was enough to deter from me engaging in that roleplay ever since. I have no doubt that this is closing factions.

Then there's also the fact that in a lot of cases, people just get bored. There's a pretty bad trend of people getting bored and abandoning perfectly good factions with good potential. I've seen this close good factions well before their time. So there's plenty of people with good intentions opening factions to which they are dedicated, only to have their members stop logging in within two weeks because they've gone to rp something else. In some cases maybe this is the fault of the faction for just not being engaging, in a lot of cases it isn't.

Lots of different problems contributing to factions' short life spans. I don't believe the application process is one of them.

• Upvote 1

Illegal RP in its current state needs to be nuked a full restart. It's stuck in this horrendous loop right now. 

* Suppliers don't actually do their job, they just trade with other suppliers and gatekeep their supplies for their friends. 

* Everyone hacks. 

* Official status is way too gatekept. 

* The umbrella factions are all meh at best. 

* Everyone seems to be allied with one another, afraid to politic or do wars at all due to admin intervention. 

* OCGs act like gangs and gangs act like OCGs.

^ The above just scratches the surface, I'm not trying to be super negative here but it's the reality. There is no 1 solution, it's going need changes from the top down. Certain people are holding certain positions just to hold them, they have no interest roleplaying the actual concept. The rules are backwards, the current faction system is TOO hard to become official but too EASY to be an unofficial group.

It just needs nuked. 

• Upvote 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Applaud 1
8 hours ago, mj2002 said:

So what's the best way to combat this then?

I mean, the rules regarding this already hint at the solution: if you're an unofficial group you shouldn't be openly challenging official gangs without a serious fear RP factor and the consequences that come with it. You should be fighting primarily other small gangs trying to establish themselves.

Ultimately I'd say, just reflect better in the rules the idea of gang turf being only seriously held down by official gangs, while unofficial gangs are just making claims that they have to defend a lot more actively. If you play around in an official gang's turf there should be harsh consequences imho, otherwise a fresh gang with a lot of momentum and the initial excitement of some fresh characters somehow tries to push out a long-standing faction going through an activity lull but solid development, only to naturally die out 2 weeks later.

If you as an unofficial gang threaten an official, established gang with lethal violence and escalate conflict directly and repeatedly, at that point your side should be liable to a CK instead of pushing for some kind of even war, ideally. The rules already say this is more or less the case anyway, but I don't know that right now official gangs looking from the outside in feel like they have the impact they should for all the work needed.