Script the Arcadius Job Center

mj2002

Short description:

Create a script job/location at the Arcadius Job Center.

Detailed description:

I think it needn't be too complex of an addition for the development team. A normal script job, where no shop menu or interaction menu of any kind is required.

Employees that start their shift will attract activity from job seeking characters by the green icon on the map. Using their knowledge of the job market (which requires some more strict hiring practices by the center's assigned manager/owner), they can assist characters that are looking for work.

Commands to add:

None

Items to add:

A script job location with a permanent icon, like the phone store, gas stations, 24/7's, et cetera. The location could be server-owned, since there would be no profit motive. The first managers may have to be selected carefully, so they in turn will not hire employees who are not able to perform this job properly. The scripted reward for employees would just be the standard $4000/hour paycheck.

A re-design of the job center might be required.

How would your suggestion improve the server?

This will give those seeking jobs an in-game avenue to try and get into contact with employers, and perhaps the other way around as well. It would be an improvement over the current set up. This would likely also serve as a point of interaction for players who are new to the server.

This would be one of the few script jobs where roleplay can also be done when no one is around at the physical location, as there should be plenty of opportunities to call up businesses and maintain contacts. This provides interaction for employees and roleplay for business owners/employers, and encourages activity on site. This would be more enjoyable than standing at a 24/7 for gas station, waiting for customers to show up.

Additional information:

Some challenges.

Unlike other scripted jobs, this would operate without a set means to make additional money by scripted means. Creating a system to reward employees for successful referrals is too complicated. However, I believe that a character motivated to help others find work don't necessarily need more of an incentive than $4000/hour to be willing and motivated to do this work. Employers might find themselves willing to reward a successful referral action directly though. This lack of scripted reward could be compensated through IC means as well.

Employees could be biased towards certain businesses and guide employees towards certain legal or illegal factions, rather than help out in a neutral fashion. This is an IC challenge that should be resolved and dealt with in game, and can also be a source of roleplay. This would need to be monitored by managers though.

Operating a job center like this might require some paperwork that needs to be handled. One employee might find an open job position, and will have to record this so another employee that goes on shift 7 hours later can use this open job position to try and match it to a character to a job. This could be done through a Discord server, shared online documents that are managed by the managers, a subforum, or through other means. There are solutions to this issue, it is a matter of matching the right solution to this challenge.

• Upvote 2
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/14/2020 at 10:05 AM, 18Cowboys said:

or just find a business and work with them and get promoted

This suggestion would help with finding a business to work in. It would also allow new players to organically interact with other characters whilst going through the tutorial.

• Upvote 2

I really like the concept, but the execution of said concept is rather difficult. I think the best way to do this is simply move the currently almost unknown and unused section in the personal assistant section that job offers can be posted to and move it to the arcadius center. 

• Upvote 1
7 minutes ago, Torlo said:

I really like the concept, but the execution of said concept is rather difficult. I think the best way to do this is simply move the currently almost unknown and unused section in the personal assistant section that job offers can be posted to and move it to the arcadius center. 

I like this addition as well. I am assuming you're talking about this menu?

image.png.eeb15b3e41983475b8c8e6679e48826c.png

• Upvote 1
Just now, mj2002 said:

I like this addition as well. I am assuming you're talking about this menu?

image.png.eeb15b3e41983475b8c8e6679e48826c.png

Yes, that has existed for a long time and is not included in the tutorial and most players don't know it exists at all. Not to mention the badly formatted job offers section, that certainly doesn't help. 

• 3 weeks later...

I think a set of smart people with a talent for recruit/human resource management, assigned to the role of manager can make use of this very well, and execute it. This would help decrease the amount of people using /ad for job hunting, and provide and in game means of connecting employers with aspiring employees.

Hopefully this can be considered!

• 5 months later...

Orrrrr players could jump into consultations and business solutions. My character and his friend are currently working on one, basically where you help make a business financially more stable, give them business tips, and when they need employees we would be the middle man who finds them employees. 

If we were to take off and then this gets implemented, itd hinder the idea we had in mind