Why is LCN RP so stigmatized?

subway244
Message added by goddessoflife,

Hello, will your post on this discussion be one of the following stated below?

Trollish, ai generated text, random pictures and comments that do not contribute to the discussion.

Then please do not post. Are you going to post anyway? You'll be content moderated without any questions asked.

This thread just exposes how high of a pedestal some LCN characters put themselves on, at the same time it shows that some people are genuine about the roleplay and care enough to portray it in a way that fits the server's lore. I'm sure IFM can differentiate between the two and pick the right people to make LCN factions.

• Upvote 1

My opinion on all of this is that atleast one LCN should be allowed to be created as a "mob" small in size but still with some sort of structure I think that works and possibly closely watched by Ifm. I think some great roleplay could come out of the LCN scene if done correctly with extensive research.

None of you can roleplay LCN.

Stop watching Sopranos and Goodfellas. 

The only time I saw people actually roleplay LCN properly was ages ago when some guys from “habbo” community, “moblife veterans” roleplayed. The way they roleplayed made everyone feel actually comfortable and they were real good add to illegal scene, but sadly they quit. After that LCN roleplay been getting worse and worse each day.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, glume said:

None of you can roleplay LCN.

Stop watching Sopranos and Goodfellas. 

The only time I saw people actually roleplay LCN properly was ages ago when some guys from “habbo” community, “moblife veterans” roleplayed. The way they roleplayed made everyone feel actually comfortable and they were real good add to illegal scene, but sadly they quit. After that LCN roleplay been getting worse and worse each day.

I m from habbo lol great roleplayers came from there you're right but yeah they left but there are still some good roleplayers here 100%.

22 minutes ago, intoxicated_plug said:

I m from habbo lol great roleplayers came from there you're right but yeah they left but there are still some good roleplayers here 100%.

Also from Habbo here, the only reason we do LCN best is because we’ve RPed it for the last 7+ years over there 🤣 there’s plenty of good rpers here, but i agree the quality has dropped over the years 

• Upvote 2
3 hours ago, BLASTER.HBSH said:

Also from Habbo here, the only reason we do LCN best is because we’ve RPed it for the last 7+ years over there 🤣 there’s plenty of good rpers here, but i agree the quality has dropped over the years 

haha facts bro all the year changes we went through and the amazing families that were created shame to see LCN here not working out i don't get it honestly but it is what it is.

6 minutes ago, intoxicated_plug said:

haha facts bro all the year changes we went through and the amazing families that were created shame to see LCN here not working out i don't get it honestly but it is what it is.

It’s mostly because it’s a modern day setting, there’s a reason MafiaRPG and Moblife switched years, it’s because after a while the Mob’s power dwindles and it’s less exciting. 

I feel like modern LCN roleplayers always revert back to old rackets which don’t really make too much sense. 

18 minutes ago, BLASTER.HBSH said:

I feel like modern LCN roleplayers always revert back to old rackets which don’t really make too much sense.

Modern day LCN focuses a fair share of their activities on Internet crime. There were a few articles that detailed how Cosa Nostra members and associates were involved in multiple crypto pump&dump schemes back in 2017/2018, but I can't find them right now. Of course, it's nearly impossible to roleplay things like that in GTA:W (or any RP server for that matter), which forces most LCN rp'ers to default to more classic rackets.

On 5/21/2023 at 12:24 AM, Gallagher said:

a lot of it stems from the fact that on LSRP the guys who ran the valenti esque factions had gigantic egos. that is why there is a stereotype, even on this server, that the mafia roleplayers would be unable to accurately represent their factions place in the criminal underworld - which, in 2023, is the very bottom of the Los Angeles food chain.

I'm just the messenger, but the Boss has a few words for you, kid.

I'll go ahead and assume that by "Valenti-esque factions" you mean Valenti itself in its various iterations and D'Aquila, which was created by Valenti members and shared many of Valenti's core values as a faction. While most LCN factions on LSRP did copy Valenti ad nauseum, the trained eye certainly wouldn't classify them as Valenti-esque. Even Bellantonio, which originated from Valenti IC, had no resemblance to Valenti whatsoever other than a couple characters early on.

We were proud of our faction's history and accomplishments and weren't afraid to say it. We advocated for improved roleplay standards/realism and provided many suggestions to help bring change. We didn't hesitate to call anyone out on their shit, even if it happened to be management/staff. We would always be quick to come to the faction's defence when haters like you would slander us publicly. And like every other faction, we had a few troublemakers. If you view that as having a gigantic ego, so be it, but it's not a fact. Others have called it elitism. I call it passion. 

The "gigantic ego" peanut gallery comment is nothing new but what urged this response is you insinuating  a faction that closed over 2 years ago on a different platform is responsible for the stigma around LCN on this server. 

I can't speak to GTAW but on LSRP, all official LCN factions deserve a share of the blame when it comes to any stigma surrounding LCN. We all contributed to that in different ways (some moreso than others) but in reality the management/staff team are most at fault. While I do believe what GTAW is doing in restricting LCN (the most historic and one of the most popular genres) to the degree they are is a gigantic mistake, some restriction and standards are necessary. On LSRP, LCN was a free for all. You had factions like Valenti and D'Aquila which were realistic, IC driven factions and then on the opposite end of the spectrum you had the likes of Bellomo and Bellantonio, the factions that were  fueled by ego, OOC tactics, outdated portrayals and a ridiculously high amount of violence. The problem was that LSRP didn't have clear standards; they granted both types of factions official status. The result of this was a whole lot of confusion, frustration, bickering, divide and senseless wars amongst LCN factions. LCN factions are supposed to work together but when the approaches factions are taking and their outlook on the game is wildly different, that becomes a nearly impossible task. Management/staff should have figured this out at some point and set a standard but they chose not to and that was the main issue.

The idea that our "gigantic egos" OOC created a "stereotype that mafia roleplayers would be unable to accurately represent their faction's place in the criminal underworld" is a ridiculous claim given that of all the factions you could've put the blame on, Valenti was the one that chose to roleplay multiple long phases (years) of being a small defunct/rebuilding family. There were extended periods of time where we operated as Valenti remnants and didn't even have a faction thread, not to mention other methods we used to intentionally stunt our growth and limit our power in order to draw out and embrace the defunct/rebuilding phase. We could have cut corners like others and would have been a powerhouse the whole time but we took an approach we felt was more suitable for the setting and fitting given IC events. In fact, it was actually the highly controversial OOC orchestrated  description of Valenti that triggered us to roleplay mass indictments and take this different approach. We made good out of a bad situation and continued pushing the LCN scene forward.

You act like you care about realism and then shit on the one faction that helped advance that aspect of LCN roleplay the most. I don't know if your remark was simply to get a laugh out of your Bellantonio mates or if they have seriously clouded your judgment but I hope this clears things up.

'con rispetto

Edited by Yours Truly Sesto
  • Upvote 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Applaud 2