Predatory Practices & RP by LEOs/DAs

Doom slayer

9 minutes ago, SACA LA BOLSITA said:

If those detectives were to put in the hours and investigative work behind those cases, they probably wouldn't have all that backlog. But that's too hard, isn't it? Pursuing powergaming ways and metagamed information to catch a quick arrest is much easier

It's the server's job to facilitate detectives the tools to fulfil their investigation roleplay. We're talking about technology that LAPD had 30 years ago, which we aren't allowed to use because of ''balance reasons''. They shouldn't have to portray 2023 detectives using 1950 tech.

It's worrying that you think technology every police department has in 2023 ( and frankly, you can do it too using Google ) is somehow powergaming/metagaming.

9 minutes ago, SACA LA BOLSITA said:

You really bring nothing to these threads

I bring facts and truth, they just don't fit your agenda.

You like to talk about balance and realism and how GTA is a game and things should be X way and Y way until the exact moment those same arguments are turned against you.

When someone can murder a character today and be out of prison in a few weeks to get vengeance on the witnesses/snitch, when the homicide rate is 100 times higher than a whole country's, when 15 year olds drive sports cars cars at 130 mph while ODing on meth and then have shootouts with SWAT, you don't get to complain about realism. It's a two way street and you don't get to only invoke it when it suits your agenda. Or, well, you can say whatever you want, but I'll be here to correct you and call you out on incorrect information you post.

Edited by pateuvasiliu
4 hours ago, SACA LA BOLSITA said:

If those detectives were to put in the hours and investigative work behind those cases, they probably wouldn't have all that backlog. But that's too hard, isn't it? Pursuing powergaming ways and metagamed information to catch a quick arrest is much easier, and if there ain't any, no wonder the case will stay unsolved. 

Posting before a PD admin comes in and closes the thread, like the dozen other before this one. 

I don't think you understand how little detectives really have to work with. Sure we have casings and blood, but other than that? We don't have CCTV (for the most part), we don't have skid marks on the ground to track the direction of travel, we don't have little old ladies seeing something they shouldn't have on their way to bingo, we don't have hair fragments or other forms of DNA and we barely have any criminals willing to snitch.

Being a detective is a difficult time consuming job. There is no hours to put into an investigation when you've exhausted everything.

• Upvote 4
15 hours ago, sparky said:

I don't think you understand how little detectives really have to work with. Sure we have casings and blood, but other than that? We don't have CCTV (for the most part), we don't have skid marks on the ground to track the direction of travel, we don't have little old ladies seeing something they shouldn't have on their way to bingo, we don't have hair fragments or other forms of DNA and we barely have any criminals willing to snitch.

Being a detective is a difficult time consuming job. There is no hours to put into an investigation when you've exhausted everything.

After my time in Detective Bureau in SD, yeah, it's a very difficult job because a majority of your evidence comes from testimony and tracing peoples cells and surveillance too. PD/SD doesn't really get any toys like how IRL police departments get the ability to see facebook (facebrowser) accounts or ALPR cameras at intersections which are traditionally used to track what vehicles leave and enter an area.

Anyway, I do think that if you want to be an air pilot, it should seriously be on another character.

19 minutes ago, Tzula said:

Anyway, I do think that if you want to be an air pilot, it should seriously be on another character.

I’m curious why you feel that way. I don’t know if it really has anything to do with this thread, so if you’d rather PM that’s fine.

52 minutes ago, Tzula said:

That's a surefire way to never have AIR around. AIR's already a thankless job since you're up there and RPing on your own for most of your patrol, but to force people to roll alts for it just makes it worse.

31 minutes ago, Coach said:

I’m curious why you feel that way. I don’t know if it really has anything to do with this thread, so if you’d rather PM that’s fine.

I feel like it is relevant to the thread, and I feel like this way because it doesn't look like both air divisions are on the same page. Becoming an air pilot in PD and being say, in GED, is a big step that requires a lot of training. I would have had to fork money over for a char slot to become an SD pilot but PD don't, policies should be the same and uniformed and if not, readily available to read so the common player can report rule violations so they don't feel like there are any "predatory practices," at play.

1 hour ago, Tzula said:

I feel like it is relevant to the thread, and I feel like this way because it doesn't look like both air divisions are on the same page. Becoming an air pilot in PD and being say, in GED, is a big step that requires a lot of training. I would have had to fork money over for a char slot to become an SD pilot but PD don't, policies should be the same and uniformed and if not, readily available to read so the common player can report rule violations so they don't feel like there are any "predatory practices," at play.

A huge reason helicopters are more .. existent in PD is simply because people DON'T need a new char slot for it. The barrier to entry not being writing a backstory, making a new char slot (or buying one with irl money if you don't have a free one), having to develop a brand new character (or just have a /pduty goblin which is undesirable), having to /changechar between if you want to patrol or not, etc. 

A lot of people get caught out by AIR units, but 80x as many don't. Sometimes cases where AIR units see stuff can be pretty iffy, but you gotta remember, they're TRYING to find stuff happening. The first thought on their mind may not always be "should I see this", but rather, "oh, a crime". Everyone's human, critical thinking in exigent circumstances is difficult. Some of these complaints about air units just read like personal dismay at being caught out, but frankly, that's just unlucky. If you're caught, it means they're doing their job. 

Seeing arguments of LA being full of traffic also seem pitifully one-sided. If we had that many players, 95% of crimes would be so much easier because we'd actually have witnesses & DB may be a bit less painful. You get what you get, really. It's how it is on both sides, and it provides advantages to both sides, and really only disadvantages to one. 

1 hour ago, Kari said:

Seeing arguments of LA being full of traffic also seem pitifully one-sided.

Disingenuous too. The city needs to be considered full of traffic when the cops are looking for some dudes that robbed some random homeless person within direct line of sight of the police station, but when the discussion moves to witnesses or large crowds, suddenly it's all "That shouldn't be allowed. NPC people shouldn't exist if it gets in the way of OUR activities."

A one-sided bid of population issues for thee, but not for me.

• Upvote 2
  • Reece? locked this topic